PDA

View Full Version : DMs Guild Effort

SailorLovins
January 23rd, 2018, 21:54
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how I can contact collaborators at DMs Guild? I am in the very beginning stages of converting an AD&D Campaign (Council of Wyrms) over to the 5th edition Ruleset specifically for Fantasy Grounds. I know that there will be a lot of coding involved...coding that I am totally unfamiliar with (as with all coding really). I am very enthusiastic about this major project and feel that many people would like to experience this unique campaign. Also where are some good resources to help me convert rulesets over from older edition games to now?

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2018, 22:10
There already is an AD&D ruleset which you can find here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36009-AD-amp-D-Ruleset).

You are not going to be able to publish material such as a campaign for AD&D since there are no rights to publish such material for FG. There are a number of 'conversions' already on DMsGuild but those aren't really conversions they are just documents which show people how the project might be converted for their own use.

You'll need to contact the DMsGuild and correspond with them (https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/categories/202531048-DMs-Guild-General-Information) as to exactly what you can and cannot do via the Guild.

SailorLovins
January 23rd, 2018, 22:27
Thank you for your response. I had considered the issue with publishing. Hmm I wonder if a better option is to create a module for 5th edition inspired by Council of Wyrms. Something that tastes like it...but is not the same meal by any measure. Thanks for the link I will be checking that out.

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2018, 01:26
Thank you for your response. I had considered the issue with publishing. Hmm I wonder if a better option is to create a module for 5th edition inspired by Council of Wyrms. Something that tastes like it...but is not the same meal by any measure. Thanks for the link I will be checking that out.
That's pretty much the only way you will be able to publish it on the DMsG. You could publish things for other editions using the appropriate OGL, but you would not be able to use any intellectual property belonging to anyone else (including Wizards).

Take a look at Classic Conversions, they publish conversions of AD&D stuff on the DMsG, but it still requires you to have the original. Because of that (i.e. still needing the maps and the descriptive text etc) their is no good way I can think of to publish a conversion in an FG module (because without maps and descriptive text, why bother?)

Nickademus
January 24th, 2018, 03:43
You can still have maps with a conversion; they just have to be original art since the module maps aren't allowed. It's the descriptive text that you can't have.