PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test failing

darellsison
January 23rd, 2018, 12:16
I have setup port forwarding to 1802 still not working.

I use the unifi usg router.

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2018, 12:32
Hi, darellsison welcome to FG.

First thing to try is make sure UPnP is active on your router; since FG should be able to configure itself. If it is active and didn't work, then next make sure that your network is set to private rather than public. If that is fine then make sure that you have created a rule in your anti-virus software (and any other Windows firewall that you might have - such as Windows Defender if it is active) to allow FG to communicate properly. If, after that you are still getting a failure check whether you are on an IPv4 or IPv6 network. To test this go to https://whatismyip.host. and if the IPv4 box says N/A then you are on an IPV6 network which does not support port forwarding. If you are in an IPv6 network then you might be able to call your ISP and ask if you can get an IPv4 connection (this may involve additional cost or may not be possible). If you can't get an IPv4 connection then you'll need to use a VPN solution such as Hamachi or PureVPN with a static IP.

If you are on an IPV4 network then try port forwarding. Make sure that you set up your rule to point at the correct internal UP address for your computer.

damned
January 23rd, 2018, 13:36
Hi, darellsison welcome to FG.

First thing to try is make sure UPnP is active on your router; since FG should be able to configure itself. If it is active and didn't work, then next make sure that your network is set to private rather than public. If that is fine then make sure that you have created a rule in your anti-virus software (and any other Windows firewall that you might have - such as Windows Defender if it is active) to allow FG to communicate properly. If, after that you are still getting a failure check whether you are on an IPv4 or IPv6 network. To test this go to https://whatismyip.host. and if the IPv4 box says N/A then you are on an IPV6 network which does not support port forwarding. If you are in an IPv6 network then you might be able to call your ISP and ask if you can get an IPv4 connection (this may involve additional cost or may not be possible). If you can't get an IPv4 connection then you'll need to use a VPN solution such as Hamachi or PureVPN with a static IP.

If you are on an IPV4 network then try port forwarding. Make sure that you set up your rule to point at the correct internal UP address for your computer.

I dont think that https://whatismyip.host wil not show an IPv4 if your ISP is using IPv6. The vast majority of web sites everywhere (in the very, very high 90% range) only support IPv4. All residential IPv6 services also support IPv4 but the end user has a shared/aggregated or other IPv4 address meaning that there is no way to configure inbound port forwarding - however you will still see an IPv4 address...

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2018, 16:25
I dont think that https://whatismyip.host wil not show an IPv4 if your ISP is using IPv6. The vast majority of web sites everywhere (in the very, very high 90% range) only support IPv4. All residential IPv6 services also support IPv4 but the end user has a shared/aggregated or other IPv4 address meaning that there is no way to configure inbound port forwarding - however you will still see an IPv4 address...

Yeah, I can't test this since I'm on an IPv4 network. This was something that someone on the Discord forums said would be a good way to find out what kind of network connection the user had; so I took his word for it and just repeated it here. The inference is that if the test is negative - in that it won't show an IPv4 address if one doesn't exist then the negative would count as a positive; if that makes nay kind of sense.

darellsison
January 23rd, 2018, 21:26
Thank you, I did enable uPnP and it didnt work, hence I created a port forwarding rule for port 1802 from "Anywhere" to my Desktop Internal IP which has Fantasy Grounds Ultimate. I use IPv4, as for configuring the network to be private or public, it already applied that since I create that on my router on my network settings and yes it is private. I will try Creating a rule on Windows Defender when I get home. Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2018, 22:10
Please run the following from a command prompt: tracert 8.8.8.8 and copy/paste the first 4 hops here. This will give us an idea if there are multiple devices between you and the Internet, then we can identify any issues you may need to address.

darellsison
January 23rd, 2018, 22:41
Please run the following from a command prompt: tracert 8.8.8.8 and copy/paste the first 4 hops here. This will give us an idea if there are multiple devices between you and the Internet, then we can identify any issues you may need to address.

Do I run this on the terminal on putty?

damned
January 23rd, 2018, 22:44
Mac or PC?
Use CMD prompt for Windows.

darellsison
January 24th, 2018, 04:31
Thanks this is what I got

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms USG [192.168.1.1]
2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
3 38 ms 25 ms 23 ms 10.119.0.1
4 99 ms 28 ms 21 ms 10.3.69.35
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 22 ms 31 ms 21 ms 10.3.11.25
7 35 ms 33 ms 41 ms 10.3.0.177
8 24 ms 18 ms 21 ms customer-189-216-2-12.cablevision.net.mx [189.216.2.12]
9 62 ms 50 ms 46 ms 130.189-204-129.bestel.com.mx [189.204.129.130]
10 85 ms 51 ms 58 ms 130.189-204-204.bestel.com.mx [189.204.204.130]
11 61 ms 53 ms 85 ms 209.85.172.64

Trenloe
January 24th, 2018, 04:47
2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
3 38 ms 25 ms 23 ms 10.119.0.1
4 99 ms 28 ms 21 ms 10.3.69.35
6 22 ms 31 ms 21 ms 10.3.11.25
7 35 ms 33 ms 41 ms 10.3.0.177
These are all internal Internet addresses, not public ones - there are multiple devices between you and the "outside". This usually means that your Internet provider is sharing public IP addresses with multiple people - which means you can't control port forwarding for FG.

There are options available to you. See info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41963-Connection-test-FAILURE&p=372177&viewfull=1#post372177 This user has a similar setup to you.

darellsison
January 24th, 2018, 19:49
This is sad and unfortunate. My consoles all go thorough port forwarding without a hitch. This is clearly a point of focus if FG wants to win people over roll20, I love FG, but working around port forwarding and all these issues kinda feels like a sucker punch

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2018, 19:52
This is sad and unfortunate. My consoles all go thorough port forwarding without a hitch. This is clearly a point of focus if FG wants to win people over roll20, I love FG, but working around port forwarding and all these issues kinda feels like a sucker punch
The networking model is being revamped. Expect the networking to be revised with FGU. FGU release TBD.

damned
January 24th, 2018, 22:31

This is true for many people.
The current engine does require this.
The next engine build (a mammoth task) has addressed this but there is no ETA.

Myrdin Potter
January 25th, 2018, 01:42
Consoles and most modern games just connect to a server hosted on another machine. That has its own issues if that server or the machine it is running on has a problem, but it makes the user experience a lot simpler. Older programs (and the network code for Fantasy Grounds is old) used to expect that one player hosted the server themselves. In the case of FG, that is the DM.

Today, IPv4 ran out of addresses so ISP are either sharing addresses or moving to IPv6. Unfortunately, that causes issues for Fantasy Grounds.

There are three solutions, both are forms of VPN. One, Hamachi, is free but everyone needs to install it. The other is using a commercial VPN that allows the FG to work. You can set up your own (higher technical skill) or use a prepackaged one. There are a lot of advantages to using a VPN beyond FG, but a known working solution is pureVPN with the dedicated IP solution:

https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

(if you want a direct connection www.purevpn.com)

The offer a money back guarantee and comes with all the geo-switching and privacy that VPNs usually give (lets me watch BBC and CBC from the USA). My friends say that they even can download faster when I use the VPN ...

damned
January 25th, 2018, 01:59
Today, IPv4 ran out of addresses...

They have been saying that for 20 years... it hasnt happened as yet...

darellsison
January 25th, 2018, 16:25
I have a VPN called HMA is this also possible?

Trenloe
January 25th, 2018, 16:28
I have a VPN called HMA is this also possible?
HMA used to work, but they went to shared IP addresses the middle of last year.

The one we currently know of that works is PureVPN with the dedicated IP address option.

darellsison
February 15th, 2018, 00:33
I got PureVPN with dedicated IP and its still giving me failures!!! What is wrong with this software?

Andraax
February 15th, 2018, 00:50
I got PureVPN with dedicated IP and its still giving me failures!!! What is wrong with this software?

You don't have something setup properly?

It's easier to help you if you give more information.

darellsison
February 15th, 2018, 00:57
You don't have something setup properly?

It's easier to help you if you give more information.

I tried the suggestions after i sent my tracert 8.8.8.8 which says that my ip is being pooled by my ISP.

2 17 ms 19 ms 14 ms 10.119.0.1
3 41 ms 18 ms 16 ms 10.3.69.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 20 ms 22 ms 39 ms 10.3.11.25
6 26 ms 23 ms 27 ms 10.3.0.177
7 19 ms 9 ms 16 ms customer-189-216-2-12.cablevision.net.mx [189.216.2.12]
8 56 ms 56 ms 41 ms 130.189-204-129.bestel.com.mx [189.204.129.130]
9 52 ms 64 ms 39 ms 138.189-204-204.bestel.com.mx [189.204.204.138]
10 48 ms 52 ms 53 ms 209.85.172.64
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 72 ms 47 ms 65 ms 209.85.247.151
13 56 ms 52 ms 60 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

I got PureVPN (with dedicated IP) as suggested. I get this tracert 8.8.8.8

1 90 ms 109 ms 93 ms 185.220.69.5
2 86 ms 87 ms 92 ms vlan24.as04.nyc1.us.m247.com [185.220.69.1]
3 99 ms 95 ms 100 ms xe-1-3-1-0.bb2.nyc1.us.m247.com [176.10.83.194]
4 110 ms 84 ms 97 ms de-cix.nyc.google.com [206.130.10.41]
6 98 ms 89 ms 88 ms 74.125.251.37
7 87 ms 90 ms 83 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

I don't understand that after getting the recommended software i still cant get this thing to work.

damned
February 15th, 2018, 00:57

Send me your email via PM if you would like me to look at this with you.

Myrdin Potter
February 15th, 2018, 01:32
There have been a few cases where PureVPN has had an issue (server maintenance and such). I just tried it myself and it worked fine.

Damned can take a look with you - send him your email and he can puzzle out what the issue is.

I am assuming that you used the dedicated Ip server they gave you as the server? Normally they email you a specific server address and user name and password combination that goes with it.

Then you start the VPN, confirm that it is active and then start Fantasy Grounds and try.

Some other errors might be firewall settings or the vpn setting being wrong.

darellsison
February 15th, 2018, 02:34
Awesome Damned just fixed it for me!!! Brilliant help!!! Thank a lot!!! Finally I can get my session 0 started.

Myrdin Potter
February 15th, 2018, 03:48
I am eagerly awaiting Damned to tell us what the issue was this time. :-)

damned
February 15th, 2018, 05:06
So it looks like darellsison had setup things correctly as far as possible.
He cant do port forwarding on his primary internet link because of IP aggregation by his ISP.
His LAN connection was set to Private and the firewall rules were in place and ok.
The PureVPN connection however would default to Public. This is a correct setting as it is a more public connection - there is no NAT protecting you.
I changed this connection to Private via Powershell and the connection worked.
We then tried putting the PureVPN connection on the router and doing the Port Forward there - the internet traffic would route through the VPN but the router wouldnt enable port Forwarding on that connection.

darellsison please do note - your security settings on your VPN are slightly lower now as it is set to a Private Connection so please do only use it in that mode while running FG as the GM.
You could change back to Public and try tweaking your Public Firewall rules if you wanted.
Make sure you dont run the VPN with firewall disabled.

Myrdin Potter
February 15th, 2018, 05:24
I am not sure what you meant about putting the VPN on his router. You mean use the vpn setting on the router and point it at the PureVPN server? I was able to get that to work on my Astrill vpn when I was in China that had an app for DD-WRT but I think the PureVPN client does not work that way from what I can tell for the dedicated ip option and FG.

https://support.purevpn.com/supported-routers-and-protocols

I have always just run the software on the PC I am running FG on and there is no need to port forward as all the ports are there.

PureVPN also offers NAT as an option if you want the additional security.

I have not fully researched the router options yet, I guess I should. The Dd-wrt client for Astrill was slick - I could easily select which ones went through the vpn and which did not.

The money for the VPN is not just for FG. You can use it on your laptop and even disguise your location and do things like watch BBC as if you were in the UK for example.

You can actually buy

damned
February 15th, 2018, 06:03
I am not sure what you meant about putting the VPN on his router. You mean use the vpn setting on the router and point it at the PureVPN server? I was able to get that to work on my Astrill vpn when I was in China that had an app for DD-WRT but I think the PureVPN client does not work that way from what I can tell for the dedicated ip option and FG.

https://support.purevpn.com/supported-routers-and-protocols

I have always just run the software on the PC I am running FG on and there is no need to port forward as all the ports are there.

PureVPN also offers NAT as an option if you want the additional security.

I have not fully researched the router options yet, I guess I should. The Dd-wrt client for Astrill was slick - I could easily select which ones went through the vpn and which did not.

The money for the VPN is not just for FG. You can use it on your laptop and even disguise your location and do things like watch BBC as if you were in the UK for example.

You can actually buy

the OPs router can make the VPN connection so that he gets the best of both - access via the VPN and by multiple computers and NAT protection and probably a few other things.
this router couldnt do Port Forward on the VPN connection though.
works fine when using the client but using a slightly less locked down windows firewall profile.

darellsison
February 15th, 2018, 21:26
So it looks like darellsison had setup things correctly as far as possible.
He cant do port forwarding on his primary internet link because of IP aggregation by his ISP.
His LAN connection was set to Private and the firewall rules were in place and ok.
The PureVPN connection however would default to Public. This is a correct setting as it is a more public connection - there is no NAT protecting you.
I changed this connection to Private via Powershell and the connection worked.
We then tried putting the PureVPN connection on the router and doing the Port Forward there - the internet traffic would route through the VPN but the router wouldnt enable port Forwarding on that connection.

darellsison please do note - your security settings on your VPN are slightly lower now as it is set to a Private Connection so please do only use it in that mode while running FG as the GM.
You could change back to Public and try tweaking your Public Firewall rules if you wanted.
Make sure you dont run the VPN with firewall disabled.

Thanks again Damned, let me try to understand, you suggest I put the connection back to Public? Wouldn't that break the connection again? When you mean tweak the Public Firewall rules, is that on windows firewall?

damned
February 15th, 2018, 22:28
Thanks again Damned, let me try to understand, you suggest I put the connection back to Public? Wouldn't that break the connection again? When you mean tweak the Public Firewall rules, is that on windows firewall?

Ive sent you an email with more info and we will post the outcome here.

darellsison
February 15th, 2018, 22:59

Thank you sir, I will try when i get home.

darellsison
February 16th, 2018, 01:11

Hi Damian,

I tried your suggestion in the email, it brought me back to failure land.

Reverted and got the Green Success again.

Thank you!

damned
February 16th, 2018, 01:21
Hi Damian,

I tried your suggestion in the email, it brought me back to failure land.

Reverted and got the Green Success again.

Thank you!

I think stick with these settings but when you are not using FG disconnect the VPN and/or connect it thru the Router - its always better to be more cautious than less.

darellsison
February 16th, 2018, 02:57
I think stick with these settings but when you are not using FG disconnect the VPN and/or connect it thru the Router - its always better to be more cautious than less.

Thank you! I am trying another route, asking my ISP if they can give me a dedicated IP. Then I dont need pesky VPN and just depend on my network and firewall setup.

Bidmaron
February 16th, 2018, 03:01
Be careful. It must be ipv4. They will probably charge you for it

darellsison
February 16th, 2018, 03:06
Be careful. It must be ipv4. They will probably charge you for it

Oh I am totally sure they will, The VPN isnt free too, just hoping to get over all of this. If the IP turns out to be overkill and costs more that the PureVPN i can cancel.

damned
February 16th, 2018, 03:45
It is very likely that the IP will be cheaper than the PureVPN. It is the better option if it is available to you.

darellsison
February 16th, 2018, 03:47
It is very likely that the IP will be cheaper than the PureVPN. It is the better option if it is available to you.

I hope so too, if it works then I can always get my money back with PureVPN. Thanks once again mate!!!