PDA

View Full Version : Loading speed, sluggish behavior issues (browser related???)

celestian
January 20th, 2018, 21:55
So here over the past couple weeks I've noticed that FG loads REALLY slowly. I thought it was just the recent windows patch causing me issues but I've noticed that if I kill chrome and then load FG it loads normally again. Also had this issue when I was using firefox (to see if it was specific to one browser).

The way I tested is I would load FG and notice an extremely long load time. I would close FG and reload again to confirm I wasn't just impatient. Then I'd kill chrome or firefox and start up FG once more and see normal load times.

Memory consumption and cpu before and after were normal (never over 50% usage system wide). Also monitored disk performance at the time and didn't see a spike there either (FG lives on an SSD).

Anyone else notice this odd behavior? Any clue what might be the cause?

(running windows 10, just to be clear)

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2018, 22:16
I just conducted an experiment on probably the biggest campaign that I have. With Firefox open it took 15.5 seconds to load. After killing Firefox it took 16.2 seconds to load. :)

To be honest I can't see why there would be any connection between the browser and FG.

Oh, and reading your post again I think you are saying that FG itself takes a while to load. From clicking my shortcut to the FG title screen takes less than a second.

celestian
January 20th, 2018, 22:25
I just conducted an experiment on probably the biggest campaign that I have. With Firefox open it took 15.5 seconds to load. After killing Firefox it took 16.2 seconds to load. :)

To be honest I can't see why there would be any connection between the browser and FG.

Oh, and reading your post again I think you are saying that FG itself takes a while to load. From clicking my shortcut to the FG title screen takes less than a second.

It's kinda both, double clicking the app to get to the campaign select AND loading the campaign.

It doesn't seem to be connected to any specific campaign... I can load a empty new 5e one or one of my own ruleset and it's takes a long time.

I wonder if there is some page I'm loading in firefox or chrome that has a resource hold on something FG would also need (direct X or video somewhere?). I've tested killing a few tabs (at first I thought it was twitch or youtube) but that didn't seem to get things back to normal speed. Maybe an extension I have in firefox/chrome ?

Going to play around with it when it occurs again. After killing the browser and loading it back it seems to lessen the issue (which sounds like cpu or memory but windows is saying not) but eventually it builds up to extended load times again.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2018, 06:33
Ive noticed long times to get to the FG start screen if Windows 10 has been running without a reboot for a while. A reboot gets it back on track. I use Chrome a lot so don’t know if it’s related to that and a reboot clears it out. I’ll have to keep that in mind...

celestian
January 21st, 2018, 08:27
So just had a load that took forever (to get to campaign select) and then it took over a minute to load that campaign (multiple times). I closed FG, closed Firefox and then tried again, took 16 seconds to load campaign after that.

damned
January 21st, 2018, 11:23
I have experienced some big variability in load times.
I dont use Firefox (much) but I often run Windows for a while between reboots and I often have or have had 20+ Chrome tabs open.

Bidmaron
January 21st, 2018, 13:11
What was your point damned? How are your times

celestian
January 21st, 2018, 19:15
I have experienced some big variability in load times.
I dont use Firefox (much) but I often run Windows for a while between reboots and I often have or have had 20+ Chrome tabs open.

I use both chrome and firefox for extended periods during my testing. Both had 10-20 tabs each at the time. I didn't load BOTH at the same time for my testing.

This is a recent thing for me (last few weeks). Until now I've not had this problem. I've done a lot of window patching recently so I'm sure it has something to do with that but what ties it to the browser I'm not sure...

celestian
February 7th, 2018, 18:42
So, I'm still poking around on this and I think I found what was causing it.

I had updated windows 10 before the sluggishness occurred. I noticed that when I was running diffs using "tortoise" that it was also extremely slow. Tortoise adds some features to the explorer so that you can see folders/files that need commits to a repo and it got me wondering... so I updated tortoise to the current rev and... as of now the latency/lag issue seems to have abated.

Things like dropbox also does this as well (explorer file icon changes). Tho I've not updated it but just mentioning for good measure.

Maybe fluke, maybe not... right now things seem fine.

damned
February 7th, 2018, 22:54
So, I'm still poking around on this and I think I found what was causing it.

I had updated windows 10 before the sluggishness occurred. I noticed that when I was running diffs using "tortoise" that it was also extremely slow. Tortoise adds some features to the explorer so that you can see folders/files that need commits to a repo and it got me wondering... so I updated tortoise to the current rev and... as of now the latency/lag issue seems to have abated.

Things like dropbox also does this as well (explorer file icon changes). Tho I've not updated it but just mentioning for good measure.

Maybe fluke, maybe not... right now things seem fine.

I just updated Tortoise and will monitor.

celestian
February 9th, 2018, 21:44
I just updated Tortoise and will monitor.

Did you notice a difference? My systems has been spinning along nicely ever since. Really curious if it was that for anyone other than me.

damned
February 10th, 2018, 03:22
Did you notice a difference? My systems has been spinning along nicely ever since. Really curious if it was that for anyone other than me.

I cant say I have noticed a difference.
The other thing that people are pointing at - Chrome - well... 20 or 30 windows of Chrome are often in use...

celestian
February 10th, 2018, 03:54
I cant say I have noticed a difference.
The other thing that people are pointing at - Chrome - well... 20 or 30 windows of Chrome are often in use...

That was also one of my first tests. Initially I spoke about switching to Firefox to see if Chrome was the cause but I had the same problem with Firefox. After the patches/updates I've been using Chrome for several days w/o any issues fortunately.