PDA

View Full Version : 5E Spell Importer?

Doomskull
January 20th, 2018, 18:03
Hey guys, I was wondering if there was an extension or parser that could quickly import spells into a mod?
I'm creating a general spell mod from all the PDFs I have laying around and it's taking forever! I'm not including class spell lists, these are going to be additional spells the players can learn or find regardless of class.
Anyone know of a quick copy/paste method?

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2018, 19:46
There's nothing that I am aware of. You can just copy paste from the pdf into FG but you probably have to do a fair bit of tidy up since many pdf's contain all sorts of hidden characters.

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2018, 19:48
I'd suggest you copy and paste through a text editor (like NPP or Notepad) to get rid of hidden characters and apply spell checking first.

Doomskull
January 20th, 2018, 20:02
Ya, I've been using Notepadd++ to fix errors then copying it all to FG but it's taking me forever. I just tried Par5e but couldn't get it to work correctly, I tried parsing the spells.txt into it's own mod but it was a no-go.

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2018, 21:16
Well if you have par5e then that's the way to go. Without knowing what you attempted I can't say why it won't work for you but spells is about the easiest thing to par5e.

Maasq
January 20th, 2018, 22:32
Hi there! Spells are the next thing I am going to work on in the NPC Engineer family, if you can hold off a little. I just want to update the NPC Engineer manual and then I get on to writing a GUI for 'Spell Engineer'.
Happy to hear of anything you'd like to see in such an application - here or on Discord.

Maasq

Doomskull
January 21st, 2018, 00:36
Hi there! Spells are the next thing I am going to work on in the NPC Engineer family, if you can hold off a little. I just want to update the NPC Engineer manual and then I get on to writing a GUI for 'Spell Engineer'.
Happy to hear of anything you'd like to see in such an application - here or on Discord.

Maasq

Bud, I am IN! I have hundreds of spells from PDFs I wanted to add and anything that makes it quicker would be awesome. As long as you can copy/paste from a PDF, and it has the basic formatting tools like NPC Engineer does, it should be gtg.

Zacchaeus: I somehow got it to work...I took a few hours off to watch a few episodes of "The Office", came back and tried it again and it worked. Go figure. Still, I'm very interested in Maasq's Spell Engineer, love his NPC program!

BubbaGrim
January 21st, 2018, 01:33

Maasq

Looking forward to this!

Maasq
January 21st, 2018, 09:30
I'll get started on this today, and even if it only a GUI screenshot, I'll post something in a new thread with its own title so that people can group comments there. It's good to see there's some interest!

Maasq