PDA

View Full Version : Buy perm license or wait.

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 21:37
Greetings,

I am not in to monthly subscriptions so I ask the following in light of the new version on the brink of being released, maybe.

Do I buy the perm ultimate license now or wait for the new unity 64 bit? I don't care to re buy at a later date.

opinions?

Trenloe
January 17th, 2018, 21:39
There is not date set for the Unity release. If you want to use Fantasy Grounds any time in the next few months then get the license now.

There has been no pricing structure set for the Unity release either - but SmiteWorks have frequently said that any upgrade fee will be scaled based on how long you've had your old license - less time, less money.

LordEntrails
January 17th, 2018, 22:55
If you are going to use FG now, then buy now.

HavocSmurf
January 17th, 2018, 23:39
Yeah, Fantasy Grounds is amazing as it is right now. Pick it up and get playing, you won't regret it!

Ken L
January 18th, 2018, 01:32
Depends on your needs. You could conceivably use r20 for a bit until unity. The unity release will pretty much be what you see here + perhaps dynamic lighting at release.

Nyghtmare
January 18th, 2018, 04:24
If you want to buy the FG license, I don't think buying it now rather than buying it when Unity is released will matter in the long run.

I would personally just pick it up now and enjoy it, and then see what happens with Unity rolls out in the future.

I bought the full license a couple of years ago and have no regrets about it in the least - it has been an extremely enjoyable experience for both me and my players (none of us would ever go back to Roll20, for the record).

JohnD
January 18th, 2018, 04:58
Get FG for what it is now, which is pretty awesome. FGU will be at least what FG is now, on a better foundation.

I suppose if you prefer the roadkill grill instead if prime rib, you could look at "it's free it's free it's damn free (except when it isn't which us always)" Roll20. Me, I like my prime rib of VTTs and stick with FG.

Ken L
January 18th, 2018, 06:30
.. lots of cheerleaders here.

Its sounds like you haven't run many games on FG yet. I'd recommend subbing an ultimate for a month to see if it fits your playstyle before you part with $170.

Nylanfs
January 18th, 2018, 12:00
Is there a reason why you want the Ultimate instead of the Full license?

JohnD
January 18th, 2018, 12:06
.. lots of cheerleaders here.

People are generally enthusiastic about issues/topics/things they enjoy. Not sure what's wrong with that (??).

Ram Tyr
January 18th, 2018, 13:50
Greetings,

I am not in to monthly subscriptions so I ask the following in light of the new version on the brink of being released, maybe.

Do I buy the perm ultimate license now or wait for the new unity 64 bit? I don't care to re buy at a later date.

opinions?
Be certain you understand:
* the current difference between a standard license and an ultimate license.
* that Smiteworks has not committed to a release date for Fantasy Grounds Unity.
* that Smiteworks has not committed to a fee structure for Fantasy Grounds Unity.

If your highest priority is not paying for the current license and paying again for FGU (as your post seems to indicate) then you should not buy the license until FGU comes out. However, if your priorities are not so cut and dry then you must evaluate the information based on your situation.

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 16:40
Is there a reason why you want the Ultimate instead of the Full license?

I have a few that I would want to join me that could not afford their own license. As I understand it if I have the ultimate then anyone can join for free. Though I am confused on the compare product list where it says under ultimate that cannot host free users.

Can Host Game Offline (LAN Game)

Yes - but can't host
free users

Bidmaron
January 18th, 2018, 16:40
Buy whatever makes sense (ultimate or standard). SW has never charged an upgrade fee so far. They will for FGU but it will be scaled based on time of ownership.

We don’t know when FGU comes out. Buy it now. SW Will take care of you. Don’t worry

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 16:46
Buy whatever makes sense (ultimate or standard). SW has never charged an upgrade fee so far. They will for FGU but it will be scaled based on time of ownership.

We don’t know when FGU comes out. Buy it now. SW Will take care of you. Don’t worry

I am already convinced to buy it, just determining at which level and want to clarify my friends can join for free if I purchase the top license. I have researched 12 hours a day for 2 weeks and due to upcoming upgrades and management I am sold on FG.

pindercarl
January 18th, 2018, 16:52
With the Ultimate license you can host for players without their own license. They can connect with the demo license.

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 16:54
With the Ultimate license you can host for players without their own license. They can connect with the demo license.

And that is with a lan game or internet?

pindercarl
January 18th, 2018, 16:58
It applies to both local and internet play. Be aware, however, that for local play you will need an active internet connection so that Fantasy Grounds can verify the license. There is a thread on LAN sessions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41896-local-play-without-internet

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2018, 17:37
To clarify, using the ultimate license when a player without a license (i.e. a free player) connects FG requires that it verify your ultimate license against the FG servers. So for a few seconds you need an internet connection. Many people use their phone for this, but it will use some data.

Follow the link from Carl for details.

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 19:11
To clarify, using the ultimate license when a player without a license (i.e. a free player) connects FG requires that it verify your ultimate license against the FG servers. So for a few seconds you need an internet connection. Many people use their phone for this, but it will use some data.

Follow the link from Carl for details.So this adds a new wrinkle to some information about the usage of FG. As I understood it you can be off line to create or add on to your modules/campaigns. But what I am hearing now is that for any game play to start everyone must have internet access only if briefly to validate, doe sthis also mean to even use the ultimate version for building a campaign as well?

Thanks

Nylanfs
January 18th, 2018, 20:05
The players have to be connected to the GM's server to make their characters (unless they have a license and use the SRD, Basic Rules, or have purchased the PHB). The GM only ever needs a connection when a player with a demo license connects. Or to update FG. :)

Erin Righ
January 18th, 2018, 20:18
No only the host requires an Internet connection, and then only to verify his licence. So you (the host) need to connect to the Internet for about 2-5 minutes, then you can use it. For usage as a GM, to prep, you DONOT require an Internet connection.

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 20:47
The players have to be connected to the GM's server to make their characters (unless they have a license and use the SRD, Basic Rules, or have purchased the PHB). The GM only ever needs a connection when a player with a demo license connects. Or to update FG. :)

Okay so if I am on a plane and already have my FG updated I can get on and create a module with full usage such as tokens, map building items etc etc.

Erin Righ
January 18th, 2018, 20:56
Okay so if I am on a plane and already have my FG updated I can get on and create a module with full usage such as tokens, map building items etc etc.

Yes

Cluanar
January 18th, 2018, 21:12
I have just purchased the Ultimate permanent license. In part as to why was how responsive and helpful the community has been, looking forward to asking you all my questions going forward :-)

Thanks all

Erin Righ
January 18th, 2018, 21:14
Hey np, we are all very passionate about FG. Just understand that Ultimate Licence does not buy you the official books for either PF or 5E, just the SRD

Trenloe
January 18th, 2018, 22:14
OK - there is some misinformation here around the free/Ultimate Internet connection requirements.

There is an Internet connection required by the *free* license when connecting to an Ultimate license over a LAN. The free license connects to the FG server to verify the GM license when they first connect to the GMs campaign - after that an Internet connection is not needed by this player.

The GM does not need an Internet connection at all to prepare or run a game over a LAN. They will just need an Internet connection to install/update products or to host a game over the Internet.