PDA

View Full Version : John Carter of Mars 2d20

Ogedei
January 17th, 2018, 15:38
So, due to the oodles of free time I have... (That was sarcasm)

I started reskinning the MoreCore ruleset for JCM. I intend on running the quickstart online in the near future.

I had intended on just using Roll20.......and started reskinning FG.

No screen shots yet, but I will hopefully have something soon.

Progress
Basic Desktop Graphic - complete
Basic Decal - complete
Sidebar buttons - complete

Basic chat box graphic, frame not set up properly

Myrdin Potter
January 17th, 2018, 19:33
I am backing the Kickstarter. Wondering about the real savings here as the Conan books and PDF are lower priced once they went into retail. Shipping costs are quite high.

Ogedei
January 17th, 2018, 19:36
You can generally always get things cheaper if you wait longer.

I am unsure what the pledges were for on Conan, so no clue if I saved anything. I did get a lot of stuff for my money and I also got to see early versions of the rules. I was certainly player a campaign long before anyone who didn't have a pledge. I certainly got to see and level feedback to Modiphius as well.

Some times kickstarter saves you money, sometimes it might not. I am 100% fine with my ROI on my Conan pledge.

Myrdin Potter
January 17th, 2018, 20:37
I agree, it took a little while to get into retail and then a little while longer for the price to go down. However, the shipping is high for individual packages from Europe compared to free when I make an order for an online store in the USA. Since you are in Canada, you feel the shipping cost pain a lot more than I do for almost all kickstarters (I am Canadian as well, but live in the USA).

Ogedei
January 17th, 2018, 20:43
I am certainly well aware of the shipping costs. :( There are plenty of items I just ended up never ordering because of the cost of shipping.

damned
January 18th, 2018, 01:05
I almost never order Kickstarter physical products anymore. Shipping to Australia is usually over $50 and sometimes over $100...
Kickstarter for RPGs might give you some KS only stuff but generally you should consider your pledge as enabling the product to get to market rather than it saving you any $$ as often it will be cheaper 6-12 months later.
So do it for products you are keen to become a reality.

As for the theme/skin - hopefully you are doing it in the extension Ogedei?

Ogedei
January 18th, 2018, 06:04
Yep. Started with the Conan Extension that Jolly did and ripped it all out.

damned
January 18th, 2018, 06:42
Love those frames.
You will find that your BG image might not look right on monitors of different resolutions.
Hint: you dont have to use all 9 slices...

Ogedei
January 18th, 2018, 13:52
Yes. It is custom sized to my monitor at the moment. I doubt I will use it in the final one. Just needed something for my flavor right now, and I had that whipped up for the LiveStreams.

I will eventually create something more tileable.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did a quick addition to the MoreCore Conan roller for JCM today. The Alpha rules had a slight variation on successes. Not sure what the final rules look like though. So that might have been for nothing. :)

damned
January 19th, 2018, 01:18
Yes. It is custom sized to my monitor at the moment. I doubt I will use it in the final one. Just needed something for my flavor right now, and I had that whipped up for the LiveStreams.

I will eventually create something more tileable.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did a quick addition to the MoreCore Conan roller for JCM today. The Alpha rules had a slight variation on successes. Not sure what the final rules look like though. So that might have been for nothing. :)

Please send me the roller when you are happy with it and I will update the MoreCore version.

Ogedei
January 23rd, 2018, 20:40
Please send me the roller when you are happy with it and I will update the MoreCore version.

New quickstart rules use the same dice system as Conan so we should be good.

damned
January 23rd, 2018, 22:41
New quickstart rules use the same dice system as Conan so we should be good.

You also wrote:
The Alpha rules had a slight variation on successes.

So I was querying if you made any changes to any of the rolls.

Ogedei
January 23rd, 2018, 22:57
The pre-release alpha rules had a system that required three numbers to be checked.

The actual Quickstart rules that were released today use the same system as Conan in terms of rolling below a Target Number and a FOCUS number.

In short the changes I was implemented are not needed, and so are gonna be removed. No changes at this time.

Ogedei
January 29th, 2018, 15:16
Just dropping a quick update here: https://starshipsandsteel.blogspot.ca/2018/01/john-carter-of-mars-fg-extension.html

damned
January 30th, 2018, 12:12
Wow that looks great.

Ogedei
January 30th, 2018, 14:52
Thanks. It is coming along. Still some issues as I try and work out controls and such. :)

Bidmaron
January 30th, 2018, 23:47
Man, I am going to have to agree. I always loved Edgar Rice Burroughs and his Mars stuff!

Wookiee420
January 31st, 2018, 00:06
Ogedei, why are you using such an out dated FG? your screen shot says you are on 3.2.2 and the current Test release is 3.3.4

damned
January 31st, 2018, 07:48
Its also MoreCore from Feb last year too.
Nice spot Wookie.

Ogedei
February 2nd, 2018, 15:09
Its also MoreCore from Feb last year too.
Nice spot Wookie.

The answer to all of this is notification. Although if it's a test release, it might not have notified me? I also had no idea MoreCore had been further updated, as there is no strong method to notify me as far as I can tell. I'll see about getting updated.

However, in the mean time.....

Some more work on the JC extension, with screenshot!

https://starshipsandsteel.blogspot.ca/2018/02/further-updates-and-screenshot-on-jc-fg.html

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2018, 16:07
The only notification method for community rulesets and extensions is to subscribe to the thread on the forums. FG itself should notify you that it has updates available by the button turning red on the launch screen. Is that not happening?

And for reference, most community rulesets and extensions are often updated soon after FG has a version update (not a module/DLC update).

Ogedei
February 2nd, 2018, 16:09
The only notification method for community rulesets and extensions is to subscribe to the thread on the forums. FG itself should notify you that it has updates available by the button turning red on the launch screen. Is that not happening?

And for reference, most community rulesets and extensions are often updated soon after FG has a version update (not a module/DLC update).

I am unsure about the red button at launch to be honest, I'll have to take a look when I launch it again. Fully understand the concept around new updates etc, just explaining why I haven't kept up. :)

damned
February 2nd, 2018, 20:47
IF You have an unpacked CoreRPG or MoreCore they will always get used before the download ones.
You will have a more recent CoreRPG but MoreCore is a community release so you need to redownload yourself.
And delete or rename your unpacked versions...

Ogedei
February 5th, 2018, 18:35
New blog post with latest screenshot as well as progress and to do lists.

https://starshipsandsteel.blogspot.ca/2018/02/jc-fg-extension-update.html

*Note: Although I haven't checked out my ruleset versions, I ran my updater on my FG software and it completed no new upgrades. I am running 3.3.....something.

Myrdin Potter
February 5th, 2018, 21:40
To be clear, you would go to the morecore thread, download the latest (linked in the very first post) and then put that in your ruleset folder.

Ogedei
February 5th, 2018, 21:55
To be clear, you would go to the morecore thread, download the latest (linked in the very first post) and then put that in your ruleset folder.

I will get around to it. I just haven't yet. Only so much time. I'll be pissed off later when everything is broken. ;)

Ogedei
February 6th, 2018, 15:18
I managed to get most of the Character sheet to a working place for the quick start rules!

Next up will be to upgrade FG and rulesets and see what breaks. :)

https://starshipsandsteel.blogspot.ca/2018/02/john-carter-fantasy-grounds-extension.html

damned
February 6th, 2018, 20:49
Hey Ogedei that looks very cool. What size is the Char sheet in pixels?

Ogedei
February 6th, 2018, 20:57
Hey Ogedei that looks very cool. What size is the Char sheet in pixels?

uhhh.....and this is approx. 1300x800?

Ogedei
February 8th, 2018, 05:39
For those following along with the home game...First release of the extension (still a ways to go on this)

https://starshipsandsteel.blogspot.ca/2018/02/john-carter-fantasy-grounds-extension_7.html

chumbly
March 14th, 2019, 11:35
Hmm now that the John Carter Core and Campaign books are out of Beta and in general release by Modiphius. Is this
MoreCore extension still valid with the released rules? Is new work being down on this extension?

Ogedei
March 14th, 2019, 16:11
Hi Chumbly!

Thank you for your interest. I would have to actually give it a once over to see if there has been any massive changes between what was implemented here.

I am not currently working on this. Time is at a premium at the moment (story of everyone's life I am sure). I may work on it in the future, but won't make any promises. When I get back to working on extensions I will probably work on my Expanse extension again next.

DeSteele
April 1st, 2020, 19:53
Hi Ogedi,

Did you every get time to confirm that your JC expansion matched up with the final rules release from Modiphius? I have a lot of time at home at the moment due to COVID.

All the best

ProfDogg
April 6th, 2020, 22:13
Nerdeye has it on its list of games to release for FG. It's not on the splash page but it's got a listing in the forums. https://nerdeyeindustries.com/

DeSteele
April 7th, 2020, 19:28
Thanks for that ProfDogg.

I have had a look on the Modiphius forums and I have found some more information in the linked threads below. These are in the Conan part of the Modiphius forums.

https://forums.modiphius.com/t/heads-up-concerning-fantasyground/8367/7

Titbit from thread (02/01/20)
Its also worth noting that both STAR TREK and JOHN CARTER are also nearing completion as well.

https://forums.modiphius.com/t/conan-for-fantasy-grounds/10198

Titbit from that thread (02/04/20)
The Ruleset has been completed and passed onto Smiteworks for final tests. Don’t know release date as of yet. If you would like to see more screenshots go to our website.
https://nerdeyeindustries.com/ 14

So this last comment is saying that the ruleset at least for Conan is with Fantasy Grounds for review. Lets hope COVID does not slow them down reviewing the ruleset.