PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues

RedRobed
January 17th, 2018, 05:53
So I'm trying to get FG running only here is the catch. It was working fine 3 hours ago. It's 10:50pm where I am. Now it won't even let players connect and sais my connection to the server is failing. I can get FG to run but no one can connect and its not showing failed connecting issues.

Now before you start up with tech jargon let me be the first to say...I DO NOT UNDERSTAND A WORD OF WHAT IS SAID. Please treat me like a moron regarding this issue to keep headaches from spawning in your brain devices. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting the Modem and Router, reconnecting port 1802 half a dozen times, checked file integrity to make sure none of it is corrupted, force running the hardware and updating that. Nothing is working. I've tried looking at the IP things and I don't understand a word of what was being described even as I tried to follow the directions for a possible fix...which did not get me anywhere. Now as much as this paragraph makes it look like I know what I'm saying or doing let me clarify...I'm a fricking retard when it comes to tech. I know basics. That's it.

Right, it sais it is having a problem connecting the server, which points me in the direction that the port is closed or not allowed access. So the port is actually open and it is allowed access via my firewall so I have no idea what is going on.

damned
January 17th, 2018, 06:43
Hi RedRobed

Please describe your setup exactly - as in exactly how things are connected to each other.

internet---router---switch---wifi---pc

or whatever it is.
Please in a CMD prompt type:
tracert 8.8.8.8
and paste the first four trace entries here.

What changed in the last 4 hours?
Do you have another computer in the same house that you loaded FG up on?

RedRobed
January 17th, 2018, 07:03
Nothing has changed, that's what is confusing me. No one except me uses FG in the house. As for the connection channel it goes Internet - Modem/Router - Wifi - PC.

tracert 8.8.8.8 entries are as follows.

1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
20 ms 17 ms 18 ms 10.145.158.1
34 ms 34 ms 34 ms 154.11.10.11
30 ms 30 ms 30 ms 72.14.220.60

Not sure if it means anything but the 5th sais Request timed out. Pro tip, still don't understand what any of that means. Also I only have it loaded onto my laptop. Minor bit of information that was missed, though I'm not sure if it changes anything. I can access the FG servers to update no problem.

damned
January 17th, 2018, 11:12
Is the modem/router also the wifi or is the wifi a separate device?
PM me your email address if you would like me to look at it with you.

RedRobed
January 17th, 2018, 19:01
It has the WiFi on it. We get our service through Bell, so internet goes through the router/modem to the wifi then we get it on the pc. That's honestly how it looks to me, though I may very well be wrong even as that is my best visual guess.

Wyrmmwood
January 20th, 2018, 01:15
I've had similar issue appear this week. Can't fix it with simple efforts and not sure what changed.
I've hosted for the last few months.
I hosted last Sunday with no issues.
This Wednesday, none of the players could connect.
No recent significant alterations in my setup, PC, or whatever.
Still getting Failure during the test.

I've redone the configuration from default several times, Firewall, Static IP, and 1802 forwarded through the Modem/Router.

I even went as far as checking a few of my players' console.log files which seemed correct.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Any clues?

damned
January 20th, 2018, 01:19
Please confirm your network profile is Private and please post the first four lines of output from tracert 8.8.8.8

Wyrmmwood
January 20th, 2018, 01:24
Ummm...I've found a definite issue........I just used a second site to confirm my 1802 is showing and its saying its not.

1 2 ms 3 ms 1 ms hitronhub.home [192.168.0.1]
2 15 ms 10 ms 14 ms 184.64.192.1
3 16 ms 18 ms 11 ms rc3no-be102-1.cg.shawcable.net [64.59.133.213]
4 30 ms 28 ms 34 ms rc2wt-be100.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.75.233]

Yea, starting to think my forwarded port isn't set right. Acting wonky.

damned
January 20th, 2018, 01:57
There appears to only be a single hop there so you should be able to do this. You need to make sure that you port forward to your computers IP address.

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2018, 02:34
Remember, sometimes your router will assign a new IP to a computer on the network. So maybe your internal IP has changed.

Wyrmmwood
January 20th, 2018, 03:10
Forwarded Port 1802 rules setup in my modem/router browser admin, directs to the Internal IP Static address I've set for this PC.
Internal IP had changed to a different dynamic one when I'd connected elsewhere, but I did change it back when I got home.
obviously gonna have to continue wrestling with this one, but I cant keep my eyes open anymore
thx

damned
January 20th, 2018, 03:27
Forwarded Port 1802 rules setup in my modem/router browser admin, directs to the Internal IP Static address I've set for this PC.
Internal IP had changed to a different dynamic one when I'd connected elsewhere, but I did change it back when I got home.
obviously gonna have to continue wrestling with this one, but I cant keep my eyes open anymore
thx

Sometimes when things were working and then they stop working a reboot of both laptop and router does the trick...

Wyrmmwood
January 21st, 2018, 18:21
Hello...

Its me again, no luck. I have hit a dead end. 'basics' only got me so far.
I'm getting weird results though.
1802 isn't being seen, mostly. But when I run PortForward.com Utility "Port Checker", 1802 comes through as open. CanYouSeeMe sees it as well. Turn off PortFoward Utility program and 1802 cant be seen anymore.
I think my router might have changed the IP, but I've essentially started from the ground up doing setup and reconfig.
router rules, firewall exceptions, cmd lines, adapter properties, hard boots....????
Not sure what I'm missing and really don't want to require my players to have to add Hamachi into the mix.
Plus if we don't get gaming again soon, the group of us will revert back to Cro-Magnons excessively and none of this will be possible.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2018, 19:00
1802 isn't being seen, mostly. But when I run PortForward.com Utility "Port Checker", 1802 comes through as open. CanYouSeeMe sees it as well.
When you get a success through these sites, is FG fully up and running - campaign loaded and ready for players to connect? This is the only time FG will be listening on port 1802. If FG is not up and running, then there is something else listening on port 1802 on your network, and this will be clashing with FG.

What, exactly, are you doing with the port forward utility program. And what does it do when you turn it off? I'm unsure what this step is doing to give you a success on canyouseeme etc. but then fail when it's turned off.

Wyrmmwood
January 21st, 2018, 19:36
FG Discord support success.
Had to stop changing my local IP address to a Static one, which is what I was doing with Portforward.com Utility.
Not sure why it worked for months and then stopped. Other then my router/ISP/...etc did it.
But FG is up and running testing green and Canyouseeme is successful.
Thx for everyones help.

Wyrmmwood

RedRobed
January 23rd, 2018, 10:17
Right, so the answer was actually really stupid. Hard to force update the Modem because the firmware had an update that didn't automatically do its thing. That in turn stopped it somehow. No Idea how but my issue was resolved by looking at the firmware and seeing if it needed to update. So maybe add that onto potential solutions guys. So yes, the issue is resolved on my side, also again my apologies to damned for the attempt to assist that was denied.