PDA

View Full Version : Tokens not locking to square grid

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 05:28
I am looking at buying the ultimate license and am playing around with some things using video demos.

I am having an issue having tokens locking to grids once made. I have selected 100% lock. the tokens do seem to lock in to hex but not square.
Ideas?

damned
January 17th, 2018, 06:45
Welcome Cluanar

Is the grid a part of the image or did you place a grid on the map?
Are you running any extensions?
What ruleset are you running?

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 07:11
Welcome Cluanar

Is the grid a part of the image or did you place a grid on the map?
Are you running any extensions?
What ruleset are you running?

3.5 ruleset no extensions and I did a grid on top of a already present grid.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2018, 09:43
Hi Cluanar welcome to FG

When you say that tokens are not locking to the grid what do you mean exactly. Also you are dragging the NPC from the NPC list onto the CT and from the CT onto the map right? And you are dropping the token into the centre of the grid right? Tokens will snap to different parts of the grid (to accommodate bigger token sizes) so you need to drop it into the centre of the square. Other possible things you might mean is that the PCs can move tokens about at will and if that is what you mean right click on a token and select lock tokens to prevent them from doing so (they can still move but you have to accept the move before it becomes final).

If none of this is what you mean can you be more specific as to the nature of the problem.

Ken L
January 17th, 2018, 13:44
I think he's referring to the fact that the square grid also snap to the edges and corners, not just the center square.

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 14:13
Hi Cluanar welcome to FG

When you say that tokens are not locking to the grid what do you mean exactly. Also you are dragging the NPC from the NPC list onto the CT and from the CT onto the map right? And you are dropping the token into the centre of the grid right? Tokens will snap to different parts of the grid (to accommodate bigger token sizes) so you need to drop it into the centre of the square. Other possible things you might mean is that the PCs can move tokens about at will and if that is what you mean right click on a token and select lock tokens to prevent them from doing so (they can still move but you have to accept the move before it becomes final).

If none of this is what you mean can you be more specific as to the nature of the problem.

If this posts right you see i am just dragging from token to created grid with 100% lock. I droip in center and it pushes to corner but i can also set in center of 4 squares if i drop it there. That make more sense? Am I pulling it from wrong area?

Thanks

Trenloe
January 17th, 2018, 16:18

If this posts right you see i am just dragging from token to created grid with 100% lock. I droip in center and it pushes to corner but i can also set in center of 4 squares if i drop it there. That make more sense? Am I pulling it from wrong area?

Thanks
Sometimes the tokens, especially ones with transparency (i.e. not pogs) aren't centered within the image file. So it might appear that you're dropping the center on the middle of the grid square, but that might not be the case. FG will snap to the center of the image file.

A couple of things to try:
1) When you drag/drop the token, position the FG mouse cursor in the center of the grid square before you drop the token - this will be the center of the image file.
2) Enable one of the Pog token modules that comes with FG and try drag/dropping one of those to the center of a grid square.
3) If neither of the above work - increase the size of the grid squares (just for testing). Make them pretty big and see if you can drop to the center of a much larger square.

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2018, 16:22
If you are placing NPCs or PCs onto the map then you need to drag them from the Combat Tracker onto the map. Drop the token onto the centre of the grid and it will snap to the centre of the square. If you drop it off centre then it will snap to one of the sides of the square. Also make sure you have snap to grid turned on (right click on the map and go to layers then snap to grid on/off). Incidentally I think you'll find 80% auto scale better than 100% but it is down to the individual that one.

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 16:57
I haven't tried any of the above yet but just based on responses and potential of this DM must I think I will purchase the ultimate license so I can get my friends involved at a player level then they can decide if they want to DM and get their own licenses.. I will try the above hints.

Thanks

Cluanar
January 17th, 2018, 17:14
Okay so the "pogs" will snap to , as mentioned, center or sides, the transparent token I can set pretty much anywhere. So you get a little freedom of movement if needed with transparent tokens. I do find it odd that the hex grid snaps to dead center with all tokens. I think I prefer the hexes anyways so i get what I want. I started playing the original game wayyyy wayy back in the 70's and met Gary at the Dungeon long ago in a far off place. In fact my gaming nick across all gaming formats ( Cluanar ) was my original Elf character meaning in elf tongue ( according to early J.R.R ) Night sun but new translations state Duanor. Can't change now :-)

Thanks again

JohnQPublic
January 17th, 2018, 17:14
I deal with this weekly. The problem is that it doesn't matter how carefully the DM places the tokens. As soon as my players move their tokens they will, nearly 100% of the time, end up dropping their tokens on the edges of the grid. it's a fairly minor thing, but it bothers me. I spend quite a bit of time each session grabbing and nudging their tokens to fit the visible grid.
I would love the ability to disable all the snaps but the center

msbranin
March 7th, 2019, 01:11
Nope My tokens have always locked into the grid (Starfinder, Temple of the Twelve). After updating to 3.3.7 None of my Tokens lock to the grid anymore. I just created a new Test Campaign Using default maps and the same issue occurs. Even is I drag an NPC from the alien archive out. Drop it anywhere and it does not snap to grid. Move the token and it can drop anywhere. No matter what I do I can not get any token to lock to the grid that is default on any map

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2019, 08:39
Nope My tokens have always locked into the grid (Starfinder, Temple of the Twelve). After updating to 3.3.7 None of my Tokens lock to the grid anymore. I just created a new Test Campaign Using default maps and the same issue occurs. Even is I drag an NPC from the alien archive out. Drop it anywhere and it does not snap to grid. Move the token and it can drop anywhere. No matter what I do I can not get any token to lock to the grid that is default on any map

Make sure that a) there actually is a grid on the map and b) you are dragging tokens onto the map from the Combat Tracker.

msbranin
March 7th, 2019, 13:55
Make sure that a) there actually is a grid on the map and b) you are dragging tokens onto the map from the Combat Tracker.

I had to recreate the campaign and import the characters back in.. something was definately corrupted.. each time I started it back up my characters tokens were not on the map they where on when i closed it down and they kept starting not in the tracker either.. once i recreated it everything is fine.

epithet
April 25th, 2019, 02:48
Didn't there used to be a campaign option to force tokens to snap to the grid?

JohnD
April 25th, 2019, 03:32

There is but this doesn't necessarily mean "snap to the center of the square", as much as I wish it did.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2019, 03:33
It’s In the image right-click menu. See “Toggle grid snap” here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Grid