PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 02:06
I am testing FG with one of my players, but we are having trouble with hime connecting, is there someone here who can try to connect to me so I can test the connection. If so thanks.

the unique alias is "meek monk bold bard"
and the IP add is 192.168.1.51

Tam

mr_h
March 20th, 2006, 02:09
While I can't boot up my program at the moment, the IP address you gave is an internal one. You'll need to find an external one (You can use a site like https://whatismyip.com/) to find that.
Also, make sure you have the right ports open.

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 02:17
I'll try now...

rv

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 02:18
Nope, the connection fails.

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 02:19
and i ensure the right port is open how? I appreciate the help so far

tam

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 02:29
actually I think I figured it out, now if I can get someone to try and connect now. the exterior IP I got from that site is 208.149.79.211.

Tam

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 02:47
Trying now...

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 02:48
Cannot connect to host. :(

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 02:51
I can't ping that ip or telnet to that ip on port 1802.

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 03:07
The IP that FG gave me to use is 192.168.1.51 and I openned a port for FG on Windows Firewall. Is there anything else I am missing?

Tam

richvalle
March 20th, 2006, 03:12
The IP that FG gave me to use is 192.168.1.51 and I openned a port for FG on Windows Firewall. Is there anything else I am missing?

Tam

Do you have an external router for your internet connection?

The 192.168.x.x ip is internal and not used on the internet. The first router you hit with it will just toss the packets away. Your outside ip should be: 208.149.79.211 that you gave. But it could be that if you reboot your pc, you get a new ip.

rv

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 03:57
I rebooted my computer and went to myipis.com, they gave me 208.149.79.81 as my IP.

Tam

bobthebuilder
March 20th, 2006, 11:54
I had the exact same issue as you Tambryn.

First, what is the model of your modem? (An example could be the Zyxel Prestige334).

Here is what to do.

1) Go to mwww.whatismyip.com and find out what your external IP address is.
2) Go to www.pcflank.com. Click on "ADvanced Port Scanner" (on the left). Click "Start TEst". Verify that the IP address shown on the screen is in fact your external IP address, if it is then click "Continue". Click "Continue" again. Tick the check box, "Scan desired ports and/or the range of ports," and enter the number "1802" and click "continue." In the results, does it show as Port 1802 is closed or stealthed? If it does then see below and follow the steps.

A)Find out what the model of your modem is and when you have found out go to https://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and search for your modem and click on the link. For this example, let us suppose you own a Zyxel Prestige334. and have clicked on the link for that modem. In the screen that comes up, just click on any program there, (what is important here is find out how to open your Port 1802), so let's say you click on Age Of Empires. Once you've clicked on it, it will show you how to open Port 1802 for the exact modem that you have! Just follow the instructions there and it should work out fine.

LASt step
1)To be sure, after following the steps that you now have Port 1802 open, load fantasy grounds ("Host a Game"), hit restore and then go back to pcflank.com and run a test. It should show Port 1802 as "Open" and anyone should be able to connect to your FG game using your unique alias.

DarkStar
March 20th, 2006, 12:19
Aren't you simply behind a mascarade in some sort of LAN? You will never host anything outside with this, unless your ISP forwards the necessary ports on their server to your machine.

Sigurd
March 20th, 2006, 15:04
Firstly you have to understand a little about internet protocol.

An IP number is a unique address for every destination on the internet. Very often however people, routers, and ISP's split that number so it is shared, or potentially shared at that destination. These shared numbers are sorted out at the point where the internet enters a location (usually by a router). The router uses a select pattern of numbers for local destinations - without talking to the router these local destinations cannot reach the internet and the internet cannot reach them. All the routers use these same patterns but since every router only addresses its own numbers the system works.

192.168.1.151 is one of those private patterns, along with everything that starts with 192.168.x.x. Right now you have sort of got an unlisted number and you have to arrange that your router forwards information from a 'listed' IP number to your computer. Unfortunately its a step the Fantasy Grounds can't do for you because its a setting in your local internet protocal.

does that make it clearer?

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 16:29
My modem is a CXT AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem, I didn't see it on the list at PortForward, I will look elsewhere. Thank you for your help.
I cannot find my modem on the list or instructions for it anywhere else, is there another webite out there that offers this service. Also, would this be solved by using a proxy like MegaProxy.

Tam

bobthebuilder
March 20th, 2006, 16:58
I didn't see it there either, you might like to try posting at https://forum.portforward.com/.

Tambryn
March 20th, 2006, 18:11
The army put me up in a hotel, and my connection is through their wireless connection.

Tam

Emongnome
March 20th, 2006, 21:52
I've found that the easiest way (apart from the Port Forward website) is to go to your service provider. I had to do that with mine as well as someone else's. Typically, the modem manufacturer won't provide service for the modem, but the ISP will. Mind you, I only know about DSL hook-ups, not cable.

Hmm, wireless connection in a hotel? Guess that may have to be resolved by your modem manufacturer. You could always email or call them, see what they say.

Emongnome

Cypher
March 20th, 2006, 23:03
If you're connecting to the internet using a hotel wireless connection, then you're pretty much out of luck for hosting a game. The hotel isn't about to port forward 1802 to your machine. You should, however, be able to connect to another server and be a player in a game.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cypher

Tailz Silver Paws
March 20th, 2006, 23:50
Sounds like what we need is a kinda gamespy thing we can connect to that then setsup the connections between players for us.

Tambryn
March 21st, 2006, 06:41
and what about a proxy server. i know you can use a proxy to bypass filters like WebSense, but I am not certain if it will help here. if I cannot connect from here thats cool, I can still do so from another location.

Tam

Wraith
March 25th, 2006, 09:01
1) Go to mwww.whatismyip.com and find out what your external IP address is.
2) Go to www.pcflank.com. Click on "ADvanced Port Scanner" (on the left). Click "Start TEst". Verify that the IP address shown on the screen is in fact your external IP address, if it is then click "Continue". Click "Continue" again. Tick the check box, "Scan desired ports and/or the range of ports," and enter the number "1802" and click "continue." In the results, does it show as Port 1802 is closed or stealthed? If it does then see below and follow the steps.

A)Find out what the model of your modem is and when you have found out go to https://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and search for your modem and click on the link. For this example, let us suppose you own a Zyxel Prestige334. and have clicked on the link for that modem. In the screen that comes up, just click on any program there, (what is important here is find out how to open your Port 1802), so let's say you click on Age Of Empires. Once you've clicked on it, it will show you how to open Port 1802 for the exact modem that you have! Just follow the instructions there and it should work out fine.

LASt step
1)To be sure, after following the steps that you now have Port 1802 open, load fantasy grounds ("Host a Game"), hit restore and then go back to pcflank.com and run a test. It should show Port 1802 as "Open" and anyone should be able to connect to your FG game using your unique alias.
The only thing is I can't get to pcflank.com it isn't up or something is there another way to check if my 1802 port is open? Also I'm on a lap top with wireless connection to my home computer will this pose a problem?

bobthebuilder
March 25th, 2006, 11:58
Yeah, www.pcflank.com is not currently up and I don't know any other sites where you can check if port 1802 is open. The most important thing however, is that you identify the model of your modem and go to https://www.portforward.com/routers.htm to check if it is listed there. Then, follow the instructions on how to open ports, (by clicking the link that describes your modem and then select any program there to see a synopsis of how to open ports for your specific modem.)

I'm assuming your port 1802 would then be open, other than waiting for pcflank.com to come back you can just organise to host a game, if you can host, then you know you've resolved the port issue. I'm not sure whether being on a laptop with a wireless connection poses a problem, (but I had a player with a wireless connection who was able to join my game.)

Wraith
March 25th, 2006, 17:49
I went to portforward and got derections but it say I need a starting port and an end port should I just put in 1802 as the starting port and finish port?

bobthebuilder
March 26th, 2006, 10:10
I went to portforward and got derections but it say I need a starting port and an end port should I just put in 1802 as the starting port and finish port?

Yes, if you put 1802 into the "Start Port No." field and 1802 in the "End Port No." field, then it will open port 1802.