PDA

View Full Version : Character Converter for D&D Beyond

dberkompas
January 12th, 2018, 20:41
MODERATOR: Tool has been removed by the author.

The PDF scraping has been replaced with a more robust data parser.

Now I'm parsing character JSON data. Unfortunately, I can't log in as each user, so you'll have to copy/paste the JSON data.

I think this version is much more robust, and even surpasses my Hero Lab plugin.

Spells are parse, as are inventory and weapons.

Please let me know what looks wonky, what can be fixed.

Dave

LordEntrails
January 12th, 2018, 20:47
And... convert it to an FG character? Will it have links to the FG source books if you have them?

dberkompas
January 12th, 2018, 20:48
Yes, it creates an xml file that can be imported into Fantasy Grounds.

It does not yet link to any rule-books, but I'm hoping to incorporate that in the future.

Dave

carlomcintyre
June 20th, 2018, 13:44
This is awesome thanks so much.

st4lk3r87
June 20th, 2018, 23:35
Are you still working on this? :)

dberkompas
June 21st, 2018, 00:18
@st4lk3r87,

It's stagnant (but workable) at the moment. I'm waiting for D&D Beyond to release an API, which supposedly is in process.

Dave

gwhitneyy2k
July 6th, 2018, 01:45
Hope that up on DnD Beyond was what you needed. This would be a very nice addition.

st4lk3r87
July 13th, 2018, 01:49
Yes, a good converter from D&D Beyond to Fantasy Grounds will save lot of work. Unfortunately Fantasy Grounds alone doesn't have the same efficiency with 5e character creation ( still better than pen and paper imo ).

dberkompas
July 13th, 2018, 01:52
It's a big ol' fail right now, but I'm working on an update, hope to get it up and operational this weekend.

Dave

gwhitneyy2k
July 13th, 2018, 02:26
Thank you. More convenient for my players to use dnd beyond since it is up 24/7.

dberkompas
July 13th, 2018, 05:39
I thought I had typed something here.

There's a early beta (ie, late alpha), link is in the first post.

Should work, or it might crash, I've only tested a couple characters.

Class/Level (minimal, needs work), abilities, saves, HP (Max), Initiative, Skills, Name and some other stuff. (Ideals, Flaws, Bonds, Hair, Eyes, Skin).

I'm going to keep going on it through the weekend.

Dave

The High Druid
July 14th, 2018, 15:56
Yes, a good converter from D&D Beyond to Fantasy Grounds will save lot of work. Unfortunately Fantasy Grounds alone doesn't have the same efficiency with 5e character creation ( still better than pen and paper imo ).

Really? I find character creation in FG far simpler: Drag Race, Drag Background, Drag class, (Drag Spells), Drag gear. Done.

st4lk3r87
July 14th, 2018, 16:24
Really? I find character creation in FG far simpler: Drag Race, Drag Background, Drag class, (Drag Spells), Drag gear. Done.

It's probably just a matter of taste. The actions involved in D&D Beyond are less. I used FG for more than 2 years now and D&D Beyond for 3 months.

On D&D Beyond the number of actions are definitely less than Fantasy Grounds:
Start wizard -> Choose Race from a list -> Select extra feat/proficiency from a list -> Choose Class from a list -> Select Proficiencies from a list -> Select special class choice from a list -> Select Background and Bond/Traits/Flaws from a list -> Choose Ability Score ( 3 modes available ) -> Select starting equipment -> DONE

On Fantasy Grounds it's true. You can drag & drop things but it's going to be slow cause you need to open different windows everytime:
No Creation Wizard. You need to know what you're doing most of the time so you have to remember stuffs most of time ( not a big deal for me but it's still less tedious with D&D Beyond )
To choose a race you have to open a window and drag the race in your character sheet. Same for the class and Background. ( again, better than nothing but still more tedious than D&D Beyond )
If you have extra option to choose based on the class you need to update your character sheet manually ( Fighting Style is an example )
You have to populate your inventory manually by finding the right item then drag & drop them in your inventory.
I didn't check for spells but I'm pretty sure it's going to be more tedious on FG too.

gwhitneyy2k
July 14th, 2018, 16:42
What I like is that players can update dnd beyond without me having to host computer running.

dberkompas
July 14th, 2018, 16:44
All this discussion, yet no comments/advice on what I can do to fix/add/change/etc? to the actual web application?

(Just kidding, continue on your merry discussion!!)

:)

Dave

st4lk3r87
July 14th, 2018, 17:03
All this discussion, yet no comments/advice on what I can do to fix/add/change/etc? to the actual web application?

(Just kidding, continue on your merry discussion!!)

:)

Dave

Ahah. The only thing I'd like to see are reference to the manual for items/spells/feats and so on. But I know they are wip. Am I Right?

dberkompas
July 14th, 2018, 17:04
I'll look into the possibility, I haven't started on spells/inventory yet, that's planned, yes.

Dave

st4lk3r87
July 14th, 2018, 19:21
I just tried to export one character. A wizard level 1.

I can tell you:
- Ability Score works OK
- Class Reference, Race reference, Background Reference are OK
- Skills Proficiencies are OK
- Notes are OK ( Bonds, Flaws and co. )
- The backstory could be copied in the Notes section I guess
- Feat/Features/Traits/Proficiencies/Languages in Abilities area are empty ( Is that expected? )
- Inventory is empty ( as expected )
- Actions tab is empty too ( as expected )

dberkompas
July 14th, 2018, 19:33
@st4lk3r87,

Thanks for testing, yes everything is as expected, I really appreciate your checking it out.

It also give me more motivation to continue working on it.

Dave

Trenloe
July 14th, 2018, 19:55
What I like is that players can update dnd beyond without me having to host computer running.
I’m not that familiar with DnDB - for doing things like this (players updating their PCs) what content do the players need to own?

st4lk3r87
July 14th, 2018, 20:01
I’m not that familiar with DnDB - for doing things like this (players updating their PCs) what content do the players need to own?
The SRD as usual is free. You can create till 6 characters without subscription. If you want to get access to the Player's Handbook of course you need to buy the digital version.

I have a master subscription so my players can access to all the content and manuals I own.

gwhitneyy2k
July 16th, 2018, 01:00

So long as the person who owns the content has a master subscription it can be shared with the entire party. So they can work on the characters to create, update, or plan for the future at their leisure. They allow you to buy parts of books, so I have purchased the player and DM information but not the monster information.

Trenloe
July 16th, 2018, 01:18
The SRD as usual is free. You can create till 6 characters without subscription. If you want to get access to the Player's Handbook of course you need to buy the digital version.

I have a master subscription so my players can access to all the content and manuals I own.

So long as the person who owns the content has a master subscription it can be shared with the entire party. So they can work on the characters to create, update, or plan for the future at their leisure. They allow you to buy parts of books, so I have purchased the player and DM information but not the monster information.

Thanks for the replies. Being able to share through a Master subscription is pretty cool! What happens if you suspend the subscription and come back later - is the data in the (up to) 3 campaigns frozen and re-activated, or is is gone?

st4lk3r87
July 16th, 2018, 01:49
Thanks for the replies. Being able to share through a Master subscription is pretty cool! What happens if you suspend the subscription and come back later - is the data in the (up to) 3 campaigns frozen and re-activated, or is is gone?
I never tried it but it's a very good question.

So I just did some research and yes. You can select up to 6 characters to use. The other characters are frozen/blocked. Here's the link to the question: https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/bugs-support/8601-subscription-questions

TheoGeek
July 16th, 2018, 01:53
So, if/when this utility is completed, will this be the way to go for "easy" character creation? FG works pretty well, but I think there is less room for error/missing something using Beyond.

Of course, that means rebuying some more books. ;)

st4lk3r87
July 16th, 2018, 02:00
So, if/when this utility is completed, will this be the way to go for "easy" character creation? FG works pretty well, but I think there is less room for error/missing something using Beyond.

Of course, that means rebuying some more books. ;)

I always thought to create an extension which is similar to D&D Beyond. A wizard integrated in FG. Unfortunately it's a "bit" time consuming.

TheoGeek
July 16th, 2018, 02:12
If you did, I'd put you as my character's deity. :)

st4lk3r87
July 16th, 2018, 02:16
If you did, I'd put you as my character's deity. :)

Ahah. Maybe I should give it a try and more people could join the party.

gwhitneyy2k
July 16th, 2018, 14:01

Haven't had it happen. But shouldn't be a problem. I believe the characters would still be accessible to each player under their personal account. They just wouldn't have access to my books. When the subscription started up again nothing should have been lost.

gwhitneyy2k
July 16th, 2018, 15:03
Was able to take it for a spin this morning. Worked very well- easy to use! Thanks

dberkompas
July 19th, 2018, 05:34
I've got Traits, Features working in test, adding Feats. Will update when it's LIVE.

Dave

Stuggesjoerd
July 19th, 2018, 07:42
I've got Traits, Features working in test, adding Feats. Will update when it's LIVE.

Dave

Sounds promising ! looking forward when it hits live !

gwhitneyy2k
July 19th, 2018, 12:16
Awesome! Thank you for the hard work

dberkompas
July 20th, 2018, 15:11
Feats, Features, Traits, Languages and Proficiencies should be working now. Please let me know if something isn't parsing/displaying correctly, or if you'd like it displayed differently.

Dave

Gix
July 20th, 2018, 16:10
I'm working on a webapp to take a PDF input from D&D Beyond.

You upload a PDF from D&D Beyond, and it will generate an .xml file you can download and then import into Fantasy Grounds.

Character Converter (https://www.ai6k.com/dndbeyond)

Dave

This happen to be up on GitHub somewhere? Would love to contribute to it if it's a language I know. Specifically adding inventory items would be great too

dberkompas
July 20th, 2018, 16:20
Great idea, thanks.
https://github.com/BoomerET/DDB2FG

Added a license: GNU General Public License v3.0

Dave

Gix
July 20th, 2018, 17:36
Dave,

I see it. I may work on this a bit next week. very briefly examined the code. I think I may have some ways to make it more manageable, but I'll have to mess with it. If I can, then that should help us add features to it at a faster rate. :D

dberkompas
July 20th, 2018, 17:38
Go for it. I'll gladly add you as a contributor.

Dave

dberkompas
July 20th, 2018, 17:57
Yup, I screwed up. I was trying to use a web-based tool to fix indentation, and it completely fuxored things up.

It removed all escape characters, which now fails beyond imagination.

---FIXED---

Well, that was premature. I randomly generated a multi-class, and it blew chunks.

Dave

dberkompas
July 22nd, 2018, 01:52
I've done a partial re-write of the code. Due to the character revamp recently pushed by Curse (D&D Beyond), lots of things broke and/or had to be re-worked.

I'm not at all sure if everything is back to normal.

Please let me know.

Feats, Proficiencies, Traits, Features should all be working.

Dave

st4lk3r87
July 24th, 2018, 19:50
I tested it and I see it's still a bit broken. Titles and Descriptions are all in the Titles.

Also, the Inventory now has items ( yeeeeh! ) but if I have the Identification option enabled. I see all of them with "Unidentified Item" label. I don't know if we can do something with that. Maybe they can be automatically set as already identified.

dberkompas
July 24th, 2018, 20:02
Thanks, I'll see what I can do to parse that differently so that it populates the description.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

Dave

dberkompas
July 24th, 2018, 20:17
I'll set the flag to have them all identified, thanks for all your input.

I'm working on the descriptions right now as I type this.

The spells is going to take a while, since the field names actually change and aren't consistent.

Dave

dberkompas
July 24th, 2018, 22:18
Testing splitting out descriptions from titles for Features, Traits and Feats.

I've forced the identified to '1'. On my system, the default is identified, but that may be an option in FG.

Dave

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2018, 22:47
In v3.3.5, the default state is unidentified when the identification option is on.

In v3.3.6, the default state is identified.

If no value specified, then the default is used. So, it depends on the version they are using.

Cheers,
JPG

dberkompas
July 24th, 2018, 23:14
Can you please test the titles/description issue.

I think I've got it the way you described.

Let me know what else I can fix/adjust/change.

Spells is on-going.

Dave

st4lk3r87
July 28th, 2018, 15:02
Can you please test the titles/description issue.

I think I've got it the way you described.

Let me know what else I can fix/adjust/change.

Spells is on-going.

Dave

Hi!
Descriptions and Titles for abilities are now fixed.
Right now the spells are listed as expected but they are not linked to the PHB ( or other references )

I don't know if that's possible but it would be very cool to link Inventory and Abilities so they can reference the existing manual I own in FG.

dberkompas
July 28th, 2018, 16:57
The way Curse (D&D Beyond) has done spells is being problematic.

For some reason (I suspect my code is running asynchronously), the 2nd page of spells is parsing before the 1st page.

That's causing no end of problems, since it doesn't appear to be consistent.

I've written code to remedy this, but now I've found another character sheet that is causing problems, and I'm not sure why.

I'm still working through other things, such as weapons, spells and a few other things.

Sure would be easier if there was an API. Supposedly it's on the development map, but I have my doubts.

Dave

dberkompas
July 28th, 2018, 17:25
I don't think that spells are linked.

For example, I just created a Tiefling Warlock, with the Players Handbook module loaded.

I added spells, and then unloaded the players handbook.

Spells still had all the information you would expect, descriptions, everything.

This tells me (which I already knew due to my work on Hero Lab) that spells aren't linked.

Same thing with inventory and weapons.

Yea, bummer, I agree.

I was able to include all this stuff in my Hero Lab plugin, because all that data is included in the Hero Lab product.

Since the only thing that I'm doing is scraping data from the PDF, adding this, while possible, isn't something I'm willing to do because I'd prefer to avoid C&D notices.

Dave

st4lk3r87
July 30th, 2018, 18:37
I see. No worries. I think you're work is still very valuable :)

Scarbrow1
July 31st, 2018, 21:16
I converted my first character and was pleased with the results. I have a multiclass monk/rogue and it seemed to handle most of the conversion well. I noticed that while it did correctly calculate my monk-enhanced movement speed, it did not calculate my Unarmored Defense correctly. It also seems to be missing attacks in the Actions tab of character sheet. Overall nice job on converter. I hope you will continue to make improvements because i will definitely use the converter.

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 21:09
I'm trying to use it but when I import I'm getting the following error:

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file C:\Users\Chad2016\Downloads\Maakeen_lvl8_FG.xml - Error on line 550: Error reading end tag.
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_campaigndata.lua"]:90: import: Unable to parse file

I would guess that maybe it's not been tested with characters who are grouped into a DND Beyond Campaign.

I also tried making a copy of that character (which then has them no longer part of a campaign) and tried to import that and had this error:

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file C:\Users\Chad2016\Downloads\Maakeen_lvl8_no_campai gn.xml - Error on line 550: Error reading end tag.
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_campaigndata.lua"]:90: import: Unable to parse file

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 21:17
Thanks @Scarbrow1 & @Jaradakar, I'm taking a look right now.

(Since it saves all the PDF's, I don't need to ask for them.)

Dave

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 21:28
Some other things to note:

1) If you hit the "reset" button on the web site, while it does clear things out the next time you try to use it, it seems to fail and not generate any xml data. If you instead just refresh the page that seems to not only reset but when you try to use it again it generates data.
2) Character for the most part seems intact, equipment shows up in a list, but actions/attacks that normally would come with said weapons are not listed (this would be super nice).
3) It allowed me to discover that there are invisible labels for your currency area, so that you can label said boxes... I had no idea! (as your import labeled them).

Even with the current quirks, it saves time! Hopefully you can fix the campaign tag issue as all our characters are currently in a DND beyond campaign.

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 21:37
@Jaradakar,

I've noticed a big ol' bug. If you use the reset button and try to parse another character, it's fubar.

Is that what you did, or was it from a refreshed page?

Dave

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 21:41
The first first time I used it. After doing so I tried using the reset button, yes.

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 21:46
@Jaradakar,

Was the name on the Character sheet, Duel Wield Dex Fighter?

Because that one is parsing fine, so if you can give me some more specifics, I can find the character sheet.

Dave

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 21:50
Found it, looking into what's going wrong.

Dave

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 21:53
Interesting.

If you look at the spells, such as Bane, it has a <C> after it.

What's happening is that the XML parser is seeing that as a tag without a closing tag.

I've never seen this on my own character sheets, do you know what that means?

Dave

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 21:53
Duel Wield Dex Fighter was the my 'successful import'.

All the gear shows up, but it's all empty, so when you set it to be equipped in fantasy grounds it does not actually change the AC (armor) or give you an attack action (Rapier, Longbow). Hope that helps!

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 21:55
Interesting.

If you look at the spells, such as Bane, it has a <C> after it.

What's happening is that the XML parser is seeing that as a tag without a closing tag.

I've never seen this on my own character sheets, do you know what that means?

Dave

Is that for Maakeen? He's a Paladain of Vengance and those are spells he's being granted by his "Class".

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 22:11
That's one of the problems with scraping a PDF, nothing is tied together. In Fantasy Grounds, weapons are tied into the Inventory, and even though it could be done with a whole lot of extra work, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that until Curse comes out with a valid API (which has been promised for quite some time).

I'm trying to fix the <C> issue, as that's probably the easiest to fix.

All my code is freely available, I'll update my Git repo and post here when I'm done.

Dave

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 23:03
I've uploaded a fix for the <C> in spell names, but spells are still B.D.N.W.W. for the most part. Until I find the error in asynchronous parsing, or the API is released, there's no ETA.

Dave

dberkompas
August 19th, 2018, 23:22
Files have been checked into GIT.

https://github.com/BoomerET/DDB2FG

Dave

Jaradakar
August 22nd, 2018, 18:09
So I posted on DND Beyond forums asking about the status of a API and while I did not get an official response, I did get a response from a developer who was working on converting to roll20.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/tips-tactics/19647-d-d-beyond-to-roll20-character-import

(Here is my starting thread: https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/d-d-beyond-feedback/23118-any-update-on-the-ability-to-export-characters-in)

Maybe this can help you Dave?

dberkompas
August 22nd, 2018, 18:17
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a look and see how feasible this is. It certainly looks promising.

Parsing JSON is a whole lot easier than parsing a PDF.

Dave

dberkompas
August 22nd, 2018, 20:39
Well, that file is HUGE.

I'm trying something simple, like stats.

The status section just has the base, and I'm having a problem finding the final value, jeesh.

Dave

dberkompas
August 22nd, 2018, 20:45
Well heck, his code is javascript, lots of stuff to copy/paste, why re-invent the wheel.

Dave

Gix
August 22nd, 2018, 20:47
It's on GitHub, so be sure to contribute any fixes back for his review :)

tmilktoast
October 4th, 2018, 21:11
Hello! This converter has worked pretty well for me in large part. Although, I've had to manually edit some of the resulting XML files to get them to import into FG (In each case due to something it didn't like about custom items I created in D&D Beyond).

I do have one character in the campaign that the converter does not like at all, however. The site just says "Something went wrong,.. etc". Is there any way to troubleshoot it?

LordEntrails
October 4th, 2018, 21:43
I do have one character in the campaign that the converter does not like at all, however. The site just says "Something went wrong,.. etc". Is there any way to troubleshoot it?
What's unique about the character? Are any special characters (&^%$#@!*><...) used in the character name or race or any such thing? That's the first thing I would look at.

tmilktoast
October 4th, 2018, 21:56
There were quotes in her name, but I removed them and still had the problem. I'll check her notes and things, see if there is anything else odd.

LordEntrails
October 4th, 2018, 22:05
Oh, and Welcome!

dberkompas
October 4th, 2018, 22:21
There's a couple things that may have gone wrong.

I try to output error codes in the developers console, so you could try that.

Or, check to see if you published the character as private or public. I've not tested those scenarios.

Lastly, let me know the character number and I'll find out what's wrong and attempt to fix it.

Thanks,

Dave

dberkompas
October 6th, 2018, 18:08
Code has been updated to account for a sling (others?).

Thanks for letting me know about this problem/failure.

Dave

tmilktoast
October 7th, 2018, 04:22
Ha! That's what he gets for taking a sling.

Thanks for looking at it.

Mockduck
October 13th, 2018, 19:01
Ok, this might be the coolest thing. Thank you so much! Real talk: Is there a way to kick ya a few bucks to say thanks for doing this?

shadzar
October 13th, 2018, 21:26
waiting for D&D Beyond to release an API

Arent we all, but they are too confused about how to go about it to connect any functionality to either roll20 or FG...

its an API, you just need to let it call data from the website in as little or large amount as the client_id allows due to DNDB permissions :mad:

dberkompas
October 14th, 2018, 05:47
Ok, this might be the coolest thing. Thank you so much! Real talk: Is there a way to kick ya a few bucks to say thanks for doing this?

@Morduck,

I'm glad you've found this useful. I love D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds.

If you really feel this is worth something to you, then please make a donation to Holland Home (https://hollandhome.wpengine.com/donate/).

Dave

Smammy
October 20th, 2018, 06:47
Super awesome project! I was looking through the json that beyond returned for my character and trying to decifer its organization. Would you happen to know if and where the json stores its final totals for skill/saving throw/ability modifiers, including anything added by items or traits? I doubt they'd total them after the fact on the front end.

Thanks again!

dberkompas
October 20th, 2018, 06:51
Yup, you sure would think that the totals would be in the JSON output, but it's not. You have to compute it, which I do in the Javascript.

There's nothing hidden, all the code is freely viewable, provided you know how to use Developer mode.

I really should get everything updated in github, but I've been lazy/busy/un-motivated.

Dave

wthrasherb
November 15th, 2018, 21:48
FYI:

Just tried this and it works like a charm.

It translated all info on D&D Beyond sheet, including all spells with Effects set up (because of extensions I have???). Everything that I've checked is linked to its relative source and seems functional. I have not tested in an actual game session yet.

dberkompas
November 15th, 2018, 23:08
@wthrasherb

Glad you're getting some use out of it. I haven't updated it in a couple months, been working on my other hobbies.

Please do let me know if something is wonky/incorrect or just plain stupid.

Dave

st4lk3r87
December 8th, 2018, 23:21
I'm starting a new campaign with 6 new players. It's so easy to let them create the character and just import them with this tool. I want to give again an appreciation :)

davelacorneille
May 7th, 2019, 22:18
Is it broken right now?

dberkompas
May 7th, 2019, 23:02
This is the first I've heard. I suspect I know the problem, and I'll hopefully have it fixed soon.

Dave

dberkompas
May 7th, 2019, 23:12
I'm hoping the problem has been fixed.

I had updated the jQuery API, but forgot to update index.html which calls the API.

Dave Berkompas

davelacorneille
May 8th, 2019, 04:13
Fixed!!!! Thank you so much!

doc ketamine
November 8th, 2019, 01:54
Is it broken at the moment?

Trenloe
November 8th, 2019, 01:55
Is it broken at the moment?
What doesn't work for you?

dberkompas
November 8th, 2019, 02:00
D&D Beyond changed some things around and I've not gotten around to looking at every one. As people let me know via the 'Contact' menu item, and include character ID's, I can fix it.

One thing I can't fix is if the character is Private instead of Public.

Dave

doc ketamine
November 8th, 2019, 02:04
I put in my URL, for multiple different characters, and get an error that the app can't parse.

dberkompas
November 8th, 2019, 02:06
URL or Character ID? All you need is the number, not the whole URL.

doc ketamine
November 8th, 2019, 02:08
Ah, I was using the whole URL ... it works with just the ID. Thanks.

dberkompas
November 8th, 2019, 02:11
Hehehe, glad it was an easy fix.

Note. The XML file that gets created works in FG Unity too.

Dave

DarthSidious
January 10th, 2020, 07:06
This thing is so freaking amazing. Thanks so much.

dberkompas
January 10th, 2020, 14:13
Your welcome.

Enjoy.

Dave

Hudz
March 18th, 2020, 16:26
One item to note. AC is not pulling correctly from sheet. The tool pulled it as AC 17 but the sheet says AC 18. This make sense?

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Grimdin/characters/22144417

Other than that, this looks amazing!

dberkompas
March 18th, 2020, 21:51
I suspect it's the Mithril chainmail, I'll take a look.

Thanks for letting me know. You can also use the 'Contact' link in the left menu.

For some reason, your Dex is coming into play. It's subtracting 1 from the 18.

I'm looking into what's happening.

Dave

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2020, 21:59
Your PC has a virus penalty!

alexanderzid
March 18th, 2020, 23:55
It seems to give all my character an additional +4 to perception for some reason.
It has a small box next to (passive) Perception with +4 in it, and the total number is increased by 4.
Is this me being a FG noob, or is it adding a +4 because of some error?
Tested with two characters, applies for both.

EDIT: I found the culprit.
Under <perceptionmodifier type="number">4</perceptionmodifier> the 4 adds an additional bonus. Changed it to 0 to get correct passive perception.
No idea where it got the 4 from, but it's not supposed to be there (I believe)

Hudz
March 19th, 2020, 00:20
Wow!!! You fixed AC really fast! Thank you!

dberkompas
March 19th, 2020, 00:35
Um, you're welcome?

Dave

Hudz
March 19th, 2020, 00:43
It might have been a really fast for you but I am sincerely impressed that you responded so quickly. Thank you :)

dberkompas
March 19th, 2020, 00:45
I haven't touched the code yet, I'm still 'working' for another couple hours.

Dave

Hudz
March 19th, 2020, 00:48
Interesting... well... when I imported into an actual game the AC fixed itself. I guess it was just wrong as a static file for some reason... weird... but not an urgent fix if this is the case.

AKLARICH
March 19th, 2020, 23:08
Anyone else getting Line errors when importing today? Both Unity and Classic are giving me errors and won't import the XMLs of my new players for tonight. Older characters went in fine.

dberkompas
March 19th, 2020, 23:33
What are your character ID's and are you using Unity or Classic Fantasy Grounds?

Dave

Opthsis
March 19th, 2020, 23:40
Not too sure if anyone still looks at this but having issues bringing my last two characters in:
Database error A XML parse error occurred processing file C:\Users\Mike\deskyop\Rayna Tor (1).xml Error on line 192: error reading end tag.
Script error:[string "scripts/manager_campaigndata"}:135 import: unable to parase file
Database notice: campaign saved

Thanks

dberkompas
March 19th, 2020, 23:44
You could always use the 'Contact' menu option on the left side of the page, or tell me the character ID, as well as which platform you're using (Unity or Classic), and I'll look into the issue.

Dave

Opthsis
March 20th, 2020, 00:32
Thanks for the response dave I'm using FGC and the character id's are:19429578 and 5134270(but this is not public need to get him to switch it. It is now switched to public

TY!

dberkompas
March 20th, 2020, 00:33
Found the problem, the lines that are throwing errors are missing the closing </a> tag.

I'll fix it in the code, but until I do, just edit the xml file with a text editor and add that tag, for example:
<a href="path to dmg">Dungeon Masters Guide</a>

Just pushed an update that may fix hyperlink references.

Dave

Opthsis
March 20th, 2020, 03:34
Thanks for looking into this still same issues I will have a look at the text file tomorrow I'm a real noob with this stuff haha.

Sulwood
March 20th, 2020, 05:20
I'm running into the issue too. Seems like a lot of the terminators are missing, since when I fix the first one, another error occurs, etc.

Odd thing is that the import worked just fine a day or two ago.

Sulwood
March 20th, 2020, 16:13
It appears that the </a> and the </span> are missing. If I add them manually, the import works.

Opthsis
March 21st, 2020, 01:56
Whereabouts do you add them?

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2020, 02:07
Whereabouts do you add them?
In the xml file before you import it into FG

dberkompas
March 21st, 2020, 06:37
I've pushed an update that I'm hoping fixes all the problems such as span and anchor tags.

Dave

Sulwood
March 21st, 2020, 16:13
Thanks!

Just tested it with the character that had the highest number of issues and it is now working!

Valdemar
March 21st, 2020, 22:16
I've pushed an update that I'm hoping fixes all the problems such as span and anchor tags.

Dave

Dave - did you update the link on the first post to the updated version?

dberkompas
March 21st, 2020, 22:27
The link on the first post never changed. But any time there's an update, you may need to clear your cache.

Dave

Houndy
March 26th, 2020, 13:35
Thank you so much for the tool!!!

Not sure if this is an issue with the uploader or not. For a rogue I uploaded the weapon actions added a +1 instead of a +5 (it did not add the dex).
Also the Rakish Audacity did not seem to add on the charisma to the initiative.

dberkompas
March 26th, 2020, 16:16
Can you please give me the character ID so I can fix the issue.

(What's a Rakish, aren't those things you slice and put on your salad?)

Dave

Houndy
March 26th, 2020, 16:30
ID is : 18515146

Haha, no idea! But dont worry about the "Rakish Audacity" it does actually work, I just didnt realise that you add the initiative bonus as an effect, rather than it adding to the main initiative. That is limitation of fantasy grounds rather than your importer :).

Dex to weapons seems to be an issue though :). Thank you!

dberkompas
March 28th, 2020, 02:57
I'm hoping I fixed ranged and finesse weapons. May still need some tweaking, please let me know.

Link to updated code is in the first post.

Dave

Houndy
March 31st, 2020, 15:02
Thank you!

Well it worked with the rogue :).

Something else I have noticed is his sneak attack is : 10d6 (should be 2d6 at level 3)

Another issue I noticed: bard seems to use wisdom as its modifier instead of charasima. (it should be 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier). easy to change in game, just FYI. 19225115

dberkompas
March 31st, 2020, 16:30
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can't get this fixed later today. I'll post an update here when it's complete.

Dave

dberkompas
March 31st, 2020, 17:04
Sneak attack has been fixed.

For effects such as sneak attack, I just copy/pasted text that I found on the FG Forums.
It obviously didn't take level stuff into account (or more accurately, just used 20th level for everything).

I'll slowly go through the other effects to see other things that need to be updated.

One odd thing I saw was To Hit on your Bard, my calculations are way off from what's displayed on the D&D Beyond character sheet.

Especially for the +1 Longsword.

No idea what's going on there.

Dave

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2020, 17:11
For effects such as sneak attack, I just copy/pasted text that I found on the FG Forums.
It obviously didn't take level stuff into account (or more accurately, just used 20th level for everything).
I'm guessing you used the effects from the "Complete..." series. All of those are level 20th characters. So all those scalable effects will be as if 20th level :O

dberkompas
March 31st, 2020, 19:04
Yes, yes I did.

Dave

Houndy
March 31st, 2020, 21:11
Sneak attack has been fixed.

I'll slowly go through the other effects to see other things that need to be updated.

One odd thing I saw was To Hit on your Bard, my calculations are way off from what's displayed on the D&D Beyond character sheet.

Especially for the +1 Longsword.

No idea what's going on there.

Dave

Did some debugging, the longsword + 1 needs to have the word magic on it.
*edit: That picture is of the FGU "Longsword + 1" which is not identified so ignore the fact it doesnt have the plus one bonus bit.

B4TCHIE
April 4th, 2020, 00:02
i can not get this to work ive downloaded the xml. and trying to import the character and its not showing up anywhere.

dberkompas
April 4th, 2020, 23:50
Batchie,

What's the character ID, I'll figure out what's wrong and get back to you.

Dave

Duke of Shao
May 25th, 2020, 19:17
Dave, I'm having trouble with getting my character to generate the XML file. We're using Unity, but I tried both Classic and Unity with no luck. I know homebrew stuff causes problems, so I made sure there was nothing like that in there. One difference is my DM grants bonus feats, so I have two extra. Anyway, here is the character ID: 29265638

Let me know what might be causing the problem at your earliest convenience!

Cheers,
Charles

dberkompas
May 25th, 2020, 19:34
Charles,

I just tested the character, converts fine. Another user reported problems using Chrome. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 with no issues.

Attaching the XML file that was generated.

Dave

Duke of Shao
May 25th, 2020, 21:05
Oh, many thanks Dave. I'm using the same setup, no idea why it won't generate for me. I waited close to a minute even though I know it usually doesn't take that long.

Cheers,
Charles

Charles,

I just tested the character, converts fine. Another user reported problems using Chrome. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 with no issues.

Attaching the XML file that was generated.

Dave

CatDadCode
July 2nd, 2020, 17:21

What I don't like in FG is undoing stuff. Once you drag something onto a sheet it's painstaking to undo it. It's honestly easier to just start completely over most of the time.

dmforhireau
October 18th, 2020, 05:23
Well, this has been taken down now.

This page has been removed.

Annoyed? You should be.
Do you absolutely need this? Please donate HERE
No, my page has not been hacked.
Groups forcing their beliefs through intimidation have turned D&D into something I no longer wish to play/support.
If you really want to place blame, it all started with Adventure-A-Week.

CatDadCode
October 18th, 2020, 06:19
Awwww. Well damn.

Ludd_G
October 18th, 2020, 10:46
Ah, shucks! That's a real downer!

I (and this is a purely personal opinion) really don't get on at all with or enjoy character building inside FG (even with the new wizard), and my players bounce off it even harder than me. Whereas we've all found character building and maintenance in DnDB an absolute pleasure, so this site was a godsend. Such a shame.

Hopefully someone can step up an emulate its functionality as, I think, with the success and popularity of DnDB, to not have character import integration in FG is going to push more groups to Roll20 and Foundry which would be a massive shame, and lose market share for Smiteworks.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!

Cheers,

Simon

dberkompas
October 18th, 2020, 16:13
All my code is in github, has been for over a year.

You can even run this on your own home computer if you have WAMP installed.

https://github.com/BoomerET/DandD_Beyond-2-FantasyGrounds

No need to add credits.

gamingbuddhist
October 20th, 2020, 15:14
Hey dberkompas! I'm trying to bring this to life again but I can't get /json to bring up any data. Was this a new issue?

dberkompas
October 20th, 2020, 15:27
I don't know.

Dave

Quin452
October 20th, 2020, 16:34
Do we know why it was taken down? I don't understand why a useful and harmless tool would be forced to be taken down.

It kinda sucks because I was starting a new session with everyone new to FGU and this would have been a great time saver.

dberkompas
October 20th, 2020, 16:38
It was taken down for personality conflicts. <edited by moderator>

You can install WAMP if you're on a PC, or Apache2 if you have a Mac, and just drop the code from my Github in place and run it on your own computer.

Dave

Quin452
October 20th, 2020, 16:50
Aye, I saw the instructions. Luckily I'm a programmer so I've already got a dev environment set up. So easy and straight forward, so thanks so much for that and the tool.

I am so sorry to hear about your experiences with such people; I know it's difficult and I haven't a clue what's been said, but helpful people such as yourself do make my heart glad.

LordEntrails
October 21st, 2020, 04:04
Let's leave it at that and not get into politics or related issues.

Dave provided a service to this community and has withdrawn that service for reasons that appear to be related to how he was treated. That is unfortunate for all of us. Perhaps his license allows for someone else to pick up his work and deal with the community issues that he no longer wishes to.

Mathizsias
October 21st, 2020, 05:32
I've tinkered with some of the bits on github, but eventually you'll run into json parsing errors that'll require the entire app.js to be rewritten alas. DNDB has changed the json properties and their public facing API for generating the json files on their backend and functionally where they're stored, the last bit I could resolve easily by changing the json source to the new https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/XXXXXXX location.

For now we're without any other options.

BlueFlameMage
October 23rd, 2020, 00:35
Notice this has been taken down by the author

"This page has been removed.

Annoyed? You should be.
Do you absolutely need this? Please donate HERE
No, my page has not been hacked.
Groups forcing their beliefs through intimidation have turned D&D into something I no longer wish to play/support.
If you really want to place blame, it all started with Adventure-A-Week."

Moon Wizard
October 23rd, 2020, 01:34
Closing this thread; as the author has removed the tool.

Regards,
JPG