PDA

View Full Version : Another custom charsheet

DarkStar
March 19th, 2006, 22:13
I have just finished creating my small charsheet mod. We have realised that Feats and Special Abilities sections under Skills page are way too small, sometimes it's hard to stuff even 1st level character's Feats, think of 12lv or higher. Yes, it scrolls, but in a way that old entries go up and disappear beneath the sheet background, there's no scrollbar nor anything like that.
So, my idea was to add new tabs to the charsheet, so now players have plenty of place to put their Feats & Special Abilities. There's also a blank page called Notes (thanks for the hint, acmer) to store other data, not related to anything particularly, some things that don't fit elsewhere.

A friend of mine edited the images, as I'm useless when it comes to graphics. The fonts are a bit uglier than the originals, tabs were re-made from scratch, it was supposedly easier than editing the existing ones. We tried to preserve the effect of light & shade when you switch between them.

You can see the new creations here:

Feats
https://img368.imageshack.us/img368/278/newfeats8jy.th.jpg (https://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newfeats8jy.jpg)

Special Abilities
https://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5391/newspecial7na.th.jpg (https://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newspecial7na.jpg)

Notes
https://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7541/newnotes0zm.th.jpg (https://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newnotes0zm.jpg)

Notice, how old pages have the same tabs
https://img20.imageshack.us/img20/429/oldinv0em.th.jpg (https://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldinv0em.jpg)

The files charsheet.xml and d20_graphics.xml were also modded. All changes were made to Digital Adventures' Complete SRD ruleset.

The Feats and Special Abilities sections on the Skills page are left there (just not editable anymore), because it was a really quick mod for personal use, I intend to use this charsheet in my games. I would replace those with some other stuff, like Languages perhaps. We are also missing Base speed field somewhere. I want to wait for 1.06 to see what gets changed first.

If anyone's interested, I'd like to share my work with community very much, but I'm afraid of legal issues here. :( I think that charsheet XML wasn't changed in Complete SRD from that of standard FG ruleset, so I can post it freely (FG's XML is OGL), but I need to make sure of that first. Thore?

ducbian
March 19th, 2006, 23:38
Well I think it looks great, I was filling in my feats the other day and thought it would be better with more room (disclosure, DarkStar is my DM ;) )

Xuub
March 20th, 2006, 14:33
I really like it, and I hope you can share it! Its a step in the right direction. I'd like to see a bit more added, but you've done a great job.

DarkStar
March 20th, 2006, 16:34
Thanks! I checked the differences between d20 and d20-SRD files and there are none (well, d20-SRD lacks scroll button on spell list, wonder why?), and since there were no objections, I decided to make my mod available to the public. There's both d20 and d20-SRD version available (the only difference is scrollbar and directory names). Read the README file first.

You can grab the mod here (https://baalster.stene.com/FG%20charsheet%20mod.zip).

Ah, big thanks to my friend, Hedr, for making the images!!

Paradoxic
March 21st, 2006, 02:24
Awsome. I recently added a notes window, but had to use a random unnamed button because I couldn't edit the images. This is definately a prettier solution.

Thore_Ironrock
March 21st, 2006, 03:18
Gentlemen,

If you are going to change anything regarding the Complete SRD and make it available for download, this need to be legally approved by Digital Adventures, LLC. Failure to do so will result in a Cease and Desist letter and legal action. All code associated with the Complete SRD is my copyright, and changing or altering it and making these changes available for downloading w/o my permission is against the law.

I hate to pull out a *big gun* here guys, but I need to protect my copyrighted products. I am more than willing to work with anyone wanting to create extras for my product, but they must go through me please.

This all being said, anyone on this thread who has done any of the above please contact me so we can work something out. I need to protect my intellectual property folks, I hope you all understand this.

Regards,

joshuha
March 21st, 2006, 03:48
Kevin,

Are you citing copyright on the character sheet images included in the D20 SRD? As far as I can tell they are the exact same as the sheets included in the D20 distrubution by Smiteworks.

I do agree that people should NOT be posting modified XML files that were included with the D20 SRD such as the d20_graphics.XML and only instructions on how to modify rulesets in general for personal use.

Thore_Ironrock
March 21st, 2006, 04:03
Kevin,

Are you citing copyright on the character sheet images included in the D20 SRD? As far as I can tell they are the exact same as the sheets included in the D20 distrubution by Smiteworks.

I do agree that people should NOT be posting modified XML files that were included with the D20 SRD such as the d20_graphics.XML and only instructions on how to modify rulesets in general for personal use.

I'm not citing anything regarding the character sheet itself, I am citing the fact that the said changes/updates/alterations are being toted as usable or an update to my product. If this were a change only to the default d20 ruleset I would not care; however, this is not the case.

What if someone were to post changes to my code, compiled to a MOD or otherwise, that suddenly caused my product not to work? Or, alter my code and distribute it for free and it caused problems with their purchased product?

Again, I'm not against this, I just want it to come through me. In the large scope of things, I don't think that is too much to ask.

joshuha
March 21st, 2006, 04:20
I'm not citing anything regarding the character sheet itself, I am citing the fact that the said changes/updates/alterations are being toted as usable or an update to my product. If this were a change only to the default d20 ruleset I would not care; however, this is not the case.

What if someone were to post changes to my code, compiled to a MOD or otherwise, that suddenly caused my product not to work? Or, alter my code and distribute it for free and it caused problems with their purchased product?

Again, I'm not against this, I just want it to come through me. In the large scope of things, I don't think that is too much to ask.

Oh I totally agree. Again, I don't agree with any posting of MODs or XML files for downloads although like you said you aren't citing the image per se. Also you have quoted in an earlier thread:

... do have to mention that if you alter the ruleset you do so for yourself only and not distribute the code, per your purchase agreement. Sorry to get legal, but I do have to mention it. I don't mind if people alter it for their own use, just that they do not distribute it..

The keywords heres are "for their own use" and "do not distrbute". By posting a mod file that changes/overwrites your code in a distribution they are potentially violating copyright. Again, I would only provide people with the instructions on how to modify a ruleset in general for their own personal use. The only thing I would ever post were modifications to the base D20 ruleset with instructions on how to get it to work with the D20 SRD only for personal use.

Ged
March 21st, 2006, 12:57
Because the files referring to The Complete SRD Ruleset are modifying a product by Digital Adventures without the proper permission, I had to remove the link to the file from the post. If I may suggest, please contact Kevin Melka if you wish to continue providing the extension to the C-SRD ruleset and additionally you are naturally free to continue distributing the files referring to the d20 ruleset provided along with Fantasy Grounds. In this (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3464) post are summarized the rules of posting content - the infringement noticed here is the lack of permission from the copyright owner but just for the files referring to the C-SRD ruleset. Thanks for understanding!

DarkStar
March 21st, 2006, 16:09
OK, I got it. Complete SRD XML charsheet.xml and d20_graphics.xml are exactly the same as SmiteWorks' ones, C-SRD lacks the scrollbar button, pfff. That's why I posted it. I don't understand how anybody can complain about it. ;) (I actually know that by the law it's considered a different product, but it really is not, it's like you sold milk called "mulk" and claimed it was something totally new, lawyers are not always sane :P) But, allright. Basically my d20 mod will work with C-SRD if you change file paths in d20_graphics to say "d20-SRD" where it says "d20". I will repost the mod w/o C-SRD files. Bureaucrats. :D

BnaaUK
March 21st, 2006, 17:05
You could just email Kevin, with your modifications, and have him check them out, and then you could work with Digital Adventures in the future.

Speaking as someone who has been working with Digital Adventures for a little while now, I've enjoyed it. But more then that, I have been given some freelance opportunities, and the other developers who work with Kevin and Digital Adventures are very helpful, and a nice bunch of people to work with :).

DarkStar
March 21st, 2006, 18:54
Sorry for being an *******. Let me cite Wizards of the Coast (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f):

Q: What is "Open Game Content"?

A: Open Game Content is any material that is distributed using the Open Game License clearly identified by the publisher as Open Game Content. Furthermore, any material that is derived from Open Game Content automatically becomes Open Game Content as well.

Since Fantasy Grounds' XML files are published under the terms of OGL, Digital Adventures' modification of charsheet.xml and d20_graphics.xml is also Open Game Content, whether they want or not. Thus, my mod was fully legal as I understand it and I am free to publish it wherever and whenever I wish. Hm?

Trauma
March 21st, 2006, 19:36
No, you are not correct. Any work done by them is automaticly copywrighted. all you can do is (if published under the OGL) copy that material to another source WITH THEIR PERMISION.

By your definition, I could take any book made under the OGL and change a sentance or two, re-publish it, and make money.

Let me quote WotC

5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.

DarkStar
March 21st, 2006, 19:40
By your definition, I could take any book made under the OGL and change a sentance or two, re-publish it, and make money.
I don't think so, it's called Product Identity by WotC. I can't make a modification to just a few XML files and re-publish C-SRD as my own product, but I can re-publish just those files, which are an abstract of a full product, that don't bear it's identity (like charsheet.xml) and were before published by SmiteWorks under the terms of Open Gaming License.

Ram Tyr
March 21st, 2006, 20:41
A while back, I wrote a post relevant to the current discussion.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3491

Please note the beginning of that post when you think about the position taken by any person or company concerning their products.

OK, I got it. Complete SRD XML charsheet.xml and d20_graphics.xml are exactly the same as SmiteWorks' ones, C-SRD lacks the scrollbar button, pfff. That's why I posted it. I don't understand how anybody can complain about it. ;) (I actually know that by the law it's considered a different product, but it really is not, it's like you sold milk called "mulk" and claimed it was something totally new, lawyers are not always sane :P) But, allright. Basically my d20 mod will work with C-SRD if you change file paths in d20_graphics to say "d20-SRD" where it says "d20". I will repost the mod w/o C-SRD files. Bureaucrats. :D

No, you are not correct. Any work done by them is automaticly copywrighted. all you can do is (if published under the OGL) copy that material to another source WITH THEIR PERMISION.

Let me quote WotC

5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
Trauma, I believe you have misunderstood. What you are quoting says that Arty the Author cannot publish an OGL product if Arty does not have the ability to grant the rights to the new content that Arty is adding to the product. Do you see the difference? Publishing under the OGL gives everyone the right to use Open Game Content. The only things that cannot be used must be labeled as Product Identity. So, Arty’s new product could be the SRD plus new stuff. It can also be the SRD plus someone else’s Open Game Content, plus Arty’s new stuff. No permission is required beyond the OGL to do any of that.

I don't think so, it's called Product Identity by WotC. I can't make a modification to just a few XML files and re-publish C-SRD as my own product, but I can re-publish just those files, which are an abstract of a full product, that don't bear it's identity (like charsheet.xml) and were before published by SmiteWorks under the terms of Open Gaming License.
DarkStar, based on this quote, I think you probably also misunderstand. You can republish the System Reference Document (as is) as your own product. The SRD is entirely Open Game Content.

Q: Could I publish the whole thing?

A: Sure. If you think someone would be willing to pay for it, you're more than welcome to try.
So, you actually can do exactly that, or you could add your own content to the “Open Game Content” universe.

It does seem that Kevin has overstepped the boundaries established by the OGL, but I’m sure that he will consent to your making the character sheet available. (At least, that is the way I read his post, despite the “big gun”. :) ) Either way, offer to play nice first! :) If consent is not given, I’m sure he’ll hear about it both on these boards and in sales.

I hope this helped.

Later.
Ramza

DarkStar
March 21st, 2006, 21:05
It does seem that Kevin has overstepped the boundaries established by the OGL, but I’m sure that he will consent to your making the character sheet available. (At least, that is the way I read his post, despite the “big gun”. :) ) Either way, offer to play nice first! :) If consent is not given, I’m sure he’ll hear about it both on these boards and in sales.

At first I thought he was right, especially since Ged removed my link. But then I started looking at Wizards' website for OGL and FAQs and I realised that I actually was allowed to modify Digital Adventures' XML (I'm not talking of the new stuff they added, I'm talking of SmiteWorks' derived work), at least that's what I understood from the FAQ. Kevin didn't shoot that big gun at me so far ;), I did contact him by e-mail. I see he just wants to make sure my mod doesn't break anything in his product and I hope he will publish it as a free add-on (although it sucks, imo, this was a quick modification, I wouldn't call it an add-on), once he finds out if it's safe.

I think that C-SRD is a very good product, I'm using it myself and all I wanted to do was to improve the charsheet and share it with the community free of charge. But it was clear from the very beginning, I suppose.

kalmarjan
March 21st, 2006, 22:11
I am sure that Kevin will accommodate you, he is a great guy to work with.

You are all splitting hairs here. We are not speaking about modification of the SRD, or the fact that the C-SRD is OGL material. We are speaking about a modification to the ruleset that is sold by DA. I do not beleive that DA is taking the stance that you cannot modify anything to do with the content of the C-SRD, but is taking the stance to protect the code of the product. (Which, is DA's right.)

DarkStar, based on this quote, I think you probably also misunderstand. You can republish the System Reference Document (as is) as your own product. The SRD is entirely Open Game Content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Reference Document: Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Could I publish the whole thing?

A: Sure. If you think someone would be willing to pay for it, you're more than welcome to try.

So, you actually can do exactly that, or you could add your own content to the “Open Game Content” universe.

It does seem that Kevin has overstepped the boundaries established by the OGL, but I’m sure that he will consent to your making the character sheet available. (At least, that is the way I read his post, despite the “big gun”. ) Either way, offer to play nice first! If consent is not given, I’m sure he’ll hear about it both on these boards and in sales.

Kevin has not overstepped his bounds, he is well within his rights to object to something that is going to be offered as an add on to his code for the C-SRD. It is not that he is being heavy handed... he is just trying to protect the product that is offered. He has never stated that we could not distribute the SRD, and the only time I have ever read anything related to an objection is when something gets put out that uses the code related to the C-SRD. (Like the feat editor put out a while back.)

So, I am sure that DA will accomodate you, if you go through the proper channels. Who knows, perhaps with the DA network, a new character sheet mod can be made available through the community.

In closing, remember all that this issue is not new, nor is it just related to DA. Several other companies have objected to these kind of mods before. I am reminded of ETOOLS and the famous etools to fg converter that touched off a copyright controversy.

And as Mynex has stated before, I am the person working with him to make that converter a reality. I just had to go through the proper channels.

Sandeman

Thore_Ironrock
March 22nd, 2006, 01:12
Thanks Jason. ;)

I was just about to touch on many of these issues, but you've covered them nicely -- however, I do want to add a few things.

The issue here is not the content of the product, it is the code of the product as a whole and how it is presented. That code is legally owned by me, end of story. It may have parts of the default d20 ruleset in it, but that is per myself and SmiteWorks. The code of the product is legally treated as an entire entity, not in its pieces/parts.

While SmiteWorks has made the decision to allow their ruleset to be OGL, my product is not. Just because you can break it down into its pieces doesn't mean those individual sections are OGL because suddenly they are not part of the whole.

As an example, let's take the Forgotten Realms Campaign by WOTC, probably the most heavily trademarked product in all of gaming. In FR you can play a dwarf, which is also in the SRD. So by the logic presented in this thread (by some) because there is a dwarf in FR, I can use anything in the FR campaign book however I want because part of the product is in the SRD. Sure, not exactly the same, but the principal is similar. Just because some of the code in my product is the same as the default ruleset, doesn't mean people can use the CSRD however they please.

Again, I could honestly care less what you do with my product for *yourself* or your group after you purchase it. Heck, sit naked on a hillside with a bowl of green jello and call it honey for all I care --- but when you post something on the Internet that directly relates to my product and other people can download it, then it becomes my business. What if someone found a way to include a virus into something toted as being for my product? What if it caused an irrecoverable system crash? People are going to come looking for me first, and that I cannot have.

Also, again, and as Jason has stated, all you have to do is ask. I find it very unsettling sometimes that people in this community would prefer to shoot first and ask questions later. I am more than willing to work with anyone in this community to further Fantasy Ground and my products. For anyone that has taken the time to get to know me in this community (by email or otherwise) will find that I am very old school when it comes to gaming and the RPG industry, and I like to think I can work with anyone who is willing to work with me.

With this all said, I have offered to review and then host Pawel's MOD on my site, but I have not heard from him either way on this -- though his recent post tells me he may choose not to. I find that a bit disheartening, since many people could likely benefit from his modifications. All I ask is that if the product identity is mine, that I have a say in it. For me to think otherwise would be legally irresponsible and could damage the future of my company. No matter how small or seemingly insignificant it may seem, I have to treat each incident in the same manner.

Bottom line, the products contents (the SRD) does not legally belong to me. The product's code, does. In the past year I've tried to bring much to this community, I would hope that everything I've done for Fantasy Grounds would earn me a bit of respect in this situation. I hope that is the case going forward.

DarkStar
March 22nd, 2006, 08:16
With this all said, I have offered to review and then host Pawel's MOD on my site, but I have not heard from him either way on this -- though his recent post tells me he may choose not to. I find that a bit disheartening, since many people could likely benefit from his modifications.

Um, actually no. I said you can publish it. I only say it's not worth to call an add-on to anything. I would be ashamed to be signed under something called add-on to a commercial product when it (the add-on) looks like this. :)

Anyways, yesterday me and my friend decided to work on a totally new character sheet for Fantasy Grounds. It won't use SmiteWorks' code nor their images (strange they didn't pick on it, I was afraid more of the images than the XML documents). We want to give the character sheet a more paper look and put in various features that the originals lack, those being new tabs, base speed, grappling modifier, item quantity & weight (I want to work with stonerock0102 on that), character portraits and many more. I'm open to suggestions. This time I will post it only for SmiteWorks' d20 ruleset, but I will send my works to Kevin for approval, if he likes it, then there will also be a d20-SRD mod.

kalmarjan
March 22nd, 2006, 12:00
Now, that would be cool!:cool:

Sandeman

Thore_Ironrock
March 22nd, 2006, 23:59
Um, actually no. I said you can publish it. I only say it's not worth to call an add-on to anything. I would be ashamed to be signed under something called add-on to a commercial product when it (the add-on) looks like this. :)

I prefer my answer in an email please sir, not a forum post. That way there is no mistaking your intentions, which seems to be the case. ;)

So ... email me exactly what you would like to do Pawel, and then we'll talk.

DarkStar
April 18th, 2006, 11:23
Just of curiousity - is anyone using my creation? ;) If so, do you find it helpful?

I wouldn't go back to standard charsheet myself, because me and my group found the mod very useful, it was supposed to give us more place to write down various stuff and it works perfectly with that purpouse in mind.

This topic got a bit hijacked with copyright issues, so I just thought I would bounce it a bit, because I'd like to get your feedback. I hope that Thore will post my C-SRD version soon, as it seems like most people are using that ruleset, not the standard one and I am not allowed to post it.

ghedrain
April 18th, 2006, 19:50
The Feats and Special Abilities sections on the Skills page are left there (just not editable anymore), because it was a really quick mod for personal use, I intend to use this charsheet in my games. I would replace those with some other stuff, like Languages perhaps. We are also missing Base speed field somewhere. I want to wait for 1.06 to see what gets changed first.

is it possible to get the base feats and special abilities section editable? I would like to at least put languages in there if possible. I'm xml illiterate.

Thore_Ironrock
April 19th, 2006, 02:39
I hope that Thore will post my C-SRD version soon, as it seems like most people are using that ruleset, not the standard one and I am not allowed to post it.

My play testers have it at the moment, but I'm sure it will be up for download soon. ;)

Thanks Pawel!

DarkStar
May 29th, 2006, 17:03
Huh, at last! :D

It took a while, but I just got an e-mail from Kevin (Thore) that he posted my mod for download on his official website. And - there it is (https://www.digitaladventures.net/downloads.htm)! At least now people can use it legally w/o problems.

I hope to hear from anyone who decides to give it a try. :) Thanks!

mrannah
June 2nd, 2006, 06:46
quck question on this one, specifically for Darkstar, as the author of the modification. I am using a modified ruleset and when i installed your character sheet, it isn't loading (the original sheet is, however). number three on your instructions indicate 'if you didn't modify the ruleset by yourself, you have absolutely nothing to do with your existing characters...' indicating that they will be automatically converted to the new sheet.

However, I'm getting the old sheets. I did go in, using Textpad to indicate the proper name of my modified ruleset. Am I missing a step? You can send me a pm if you want me to go into the specifice line edit info, and we can volley it as email until we resolve it if you want.

thanks

mrannah

mrannah
June 2nd, 2006, 07:01
correction to my own post. I hadn't edited every occurence of that ruleset,I had one more set of lines to change. It's working fine now. The next game session for my group is tuesday, I'll let you know how it flies with the team...but i like how it looks so far

DarkStar
June 2nd, 2006, 07:54
The next game session for my group is tuesday, I'll let you know how it flies with the team...but i like how it looks so far

I'm glad you decided to grab it. I think you can easily revert the changes and don't loose any character data. There is only one difference (aside from presentation layer - images and modified pathnames) - it has a new XML node, called othernotes, if I remember well (it was a few months ago), which is used to store text entered in Notes tab. So, when you revert your ruleset and get rid of my mod, your characters should work fine, you will just be missing a place to present othernotes. I haven't tried it, though. It is a small mod for me and my party and we are using it in two campaigns, our other DM also liked it and I don't see why you should want to get back to the old sheet. ;)

mrannah
June 7th, 2006, 06:30
Okay, the team has played using the new character sheet and the response has been uniformly positive.

The only request they have placed was for a removal of the feats and special section on the old page so that portion could be utilized for something else.

otherwise, they love it, thanks a lot

DarkStar
June 7th, 2006, 09:31
The only request they have placed was for a removal of the feats and special section on the old page so that portion could be utilized for something else.

Yeah, I'd like to put languages spoken or something else there. The reason I haven't done this yet is that... I am waiting for 1.06 patch, because I want to create a totally new character sheet. I thought this could be done in March. Then I thought this could be done in April. Now I don't think about it at all. :P You know the story.

Llarish
June 9th, 2006, 05:33
OK, I'm a n00b, but I can't seem to get this to work right. Darkstar, would you be so kind as to tell me which folders to pop this into. I am new to FG, and so am very possibly doing it wrong. However, my knowledgable wife seems to be uncertain what to do as well.
Llarish

DarkStar
June 9th, 2006, 09:56
Do you want to use it with SmiteWorks' d20 ruleset or Digital Adventures' d20-SRD?

Since you are writing in this thread, I believe it's about original d20 ruleset. You have to replace the files in resource.pak in order to make this work. The d20 subfolder in rulesets folder is just a template, all data is really read from resource.pak . Backup it first, it's a ZIP archive with changed file extension. Then put my modded files in this archive, replacing the files.

Alternatively, one could create his own ruleset, by making a copy of d20 folder, changing it's name to something else, like MyRuleset (you also have to change all pathnames in the XML documents) and putting there my modded files.

I know several people are using this mod now, I've seen some having the same problem, but it was because they were trying to replace files in d20 folder, instead of those in resource.pak, which I believe is what you are trying to do. ;)

Llarish
June 9th, 2006, 16:54
You have me pegged exactly right. Thanks much!
Llarish

Llarish
June 9th, 2006, 17:59
OK, I admitted that I was a n00b, but I am beginning to believe I am a total n00b for this program. Nobody else seems to need hand holding through this process of making your character sheet work, and there has been no troubleshooting discussion before me....=_(

I opened up the resource.pak file and pasted the appropriate files into the appropriate places, but now when I open up my monster manual, ruleset, or character sheet there is no background. I can see the numbers, text, and link buttons, but there is no background to the document.

I have my old resource.pak file that I can go back to waiting for me, but figured I would post up to find out if you know what I have done wrong.

Thanks for the time, concern, and handholding.
Llarish

Ram Tyr
June 9th, 2006, 19:09
In the interests of helping out, I'll make a suggestion. If for some reason this is a bad idea, please speak up...

This character sheet can be shared with folks that are unable / unwilling to play with xml if:
1. One or more people that have already done this make sure that they use a unique name for the ruleset,
2. Then post a range of days / times that they will host a session only for downloading of the ruleset.
3. Those unable / unwilling souls can get the character sheet without trauma.

The reason I suggest using a unique name is that anyone playing in a campaign that does not make the change will not want to overwrite the default d20 ruleset and attached sheet, or the default complete srd ruleset and attached sheet.

I would suggest adding dstarsheet to the end of the name of the defalt d20 ruleset or the complete srd ruleset name, so that it is readily apparent what the ruleset contains.

Llarish, I haven't tried to play with this yet...the last time I played with xml under FG's hood, I had to reinstall...

:D

Later.
Ramza

Griogre
June 9th, 2006, 21:22
I opened up the resource.pak file and pasted the appropriate files into the appropriate places, but now when I open up my monster manual, ruleset, or character sheet there is no background. I can see the numbers, text, and link buttons, but there is no background to the document.

Llarish, I strongly recommend you don't change things the resource pak way. It is the easiest, but most likely to be overwritten accindently. There may also be issues with future FG changes too. If you like the charactrer sheet it is worth the effort of changing the XML file paths and the ruleset name. We are talking file name/node refence changes to a handful of XML lines in a few files. I can't give you specifics off the top of my head but maybe Toadworth or someone else can?

Toadwart
June 10th, 2006, 01:43
Llarish, I strongly recommend you don't change things the resource pak way. It is the easiest, but most likely to be overwritten accindently. There may also be issues with future FG changes too. If you like the charactrer sheet it is worth the effort of changing the XML file paths and the ruleset name. We are talking file name/node refence changes to a handful of XML lines in a few files. I can't give you specifics off the top of my head but maybe Toadworth or someone else can?

Yes. Definately not recommended to change the resource.pak file itself. As that will get overwritten with each patch release and you'd have to re-apply yor changes each time that happened.

Chaning the files in the \rulesets\d20\ folder doesn't have any effect because it's not intended to be the place you make customisations. You should take a copy of that folder and rename it to something that is descriptive and not likely to be used by anyone else (e.g. \rulesets\d20_llarish\)
Now you have a custom ruleset and can choose it when starting up a new FG campaign. At the moment it will look and behave exactly like the default ruleset. To make changes you have to alter the files in that folder. The tricky part is that throughout the xml files there are references to the \rulesets\d20\ folder and you have to change those to \rulesets\d20_llarish\ but you should only change the ones that you need to in order to incorporate your changes.
For the charactersheet this would normally mean changing:
- base.xml (the folder for references to the files: "charsheet.xml" and "d20_graphics.xml")
- d20_graphics.xml (the folders for the charsheet png files
One example is shown below but you will have to change all of the ones you have modified and may even need to add additional framedef nodes if additional pages have been added to the sheet.

<framedef name="charsheet_main">
<bitmap file="rulesets\rulesets\d20_llarish\frames\charsheet_mai n.png" />
<topleft rect="0,0,0,0" />
<top rect="0,0,0,0" />
<topright rect="0,0,0,0" />
<left rect="0,0,0,0" />
<middle rect="0,0,550,685" />
<right rect="0,0,0,0" />
<bottomleft rect="0,0,0,0" />
<bottom rect="0,0,0,0" />
<bottomright rect="0,0,0,0" />
</framedef>

One thing to note: when FG sees the folder \rulesets\d20\ in one of those xml files it does not actually refer to that folder, instead it looks at the files in the resource.pak file. That's why changing the files in that folder never has any effect.

DarkStar
June 10th, 2006, 11:06
Well, my mod was meant for Digital Adventures' d20-SRD ruleset, in which it works by replacing the files. Kevin's playtesters had it tested and it worked for them as well as a bunch of other people here.
I released the SmiteWorks' d20 version, just because I thought that people who run games with official ruleset might also benefit from the new tabs and they need not to buy the d20-SRD ruleset if they don't want it.

I must admit, I am using it with d20-SRD myself and I swear it's just a matter of replacing a few files, there's nothing more to do. I am a computer geek and from my point of view, I didn't realise it might cause problems to anybody. :o

I guess I should have an "installer" for this, which would ask the user about his ruleset name and location and then backup his files, change the pathnames and replace the originals. Would you be interested in such thing?

Oh, thanks for additional explanations, all of you.

rabbit
June 10th, 2006, 12:26
It really is as simple as copying in two files and the graphics. Grand total: 5 seconds perhaps?

Azrael Nightstar
June 29th, 2006, 01:41
I've been playing around with this mod for the past few days, mostly as a primer to FG modding and because I wanted to use the sheets. All I really did was re-do the graphics to pretty them up a bit and get them closer to matching the original pages of the sheet, and make the old Feats and Abilities sections editable (the headings can be filled in manually, so you can use the 2 sections for anything you want, and just fill in the heading as "Languages" or w/e your little heart desires.)

I don't know if anyone would be interested to see or use this but I figured I'd offer in case. I haven't made a version compatible with the CSRD pack but the process would be about the same. I don't have a place to host the files, but can send them or the pertinent code if someone would like them. If anyone wants to host that would be fine as well of course, and finally if you just want the updated graphics they'll work fine with the mod as it is, just a matter of replacing the .pngs (I've included them below for that option). Again, I don't know if anyone is interested but I figured I'd offer.

https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2619/charsheetfeats4qz.th.png (https://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetfeats4qz.png)

https://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5377/charsheetinventory2xb.th.png (https://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetinventory2xb.png)

https://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4421/charsheetmain7wv.th.png (https://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetmain7wv.png)

https://img46.imageshack.us/img46/639/charsheetnotes1ee.th.png (https://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetnotes1ee.png)

Azrael Nightstar
June 29th, 2006, 01:46
And the last 3 images (each post is limited to 4 max):

https://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6903/charsheetskills2dx.th.png (https://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetskills2dx.png)

https://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3743/charsheetspecial6hx.th.png (https://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetspecial6hx.png)

https://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7641/charsheetspells0xp.th.png (https://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charsheetspells0xp.png)

To be used they should be renamed, respectively: charsheet_feats.png, charsheet_inventory.png, charsheet_main.png, charsheet_notes.png, charsheet_skills.png, charsheet_special.png and charsheet_spells.png.

And thanks for your work on this Darkstar, I haven't hosted a session with it yet but I've shown it to a couple of my players and have received a lot of "Cool!"s ;)

Thore_Ironrock
June 29th, 2006, 01:56
I don't know if anyone would be interested to see or use this but I figured I'd offer in case. I haven't made a version compatible with the CSRD pack but the process would be about the same.

Azrael,

Looks good sir. I would be happy to post this for download if you wanted to make a "Version 2" of Darkstar's sheet for the CSRD. Get it working and send it over for testing w/instructions.

;)

Oberoten
July 4th, 2006, 21:25
Slowly converting our Pen and Paper charsheet to FG.

https://oberonsweden.tripod.com/fg.jpg

(( Fifth Ed-Rules, additions are "Pen" for penetration and the stat "Will" ))

Carl T.
August 2nd, 2006, 21:27
Is there any way to get some one to make a character sheet with a cohort, animal companion, Familiar Sheet? All the sheets i've seen so far are great but I really need my players to be able to reference their secondary creature from the same source as me? any Ideas?
thanks.
-c

Oberoten
August 3rd, 2006, 06:42
That is what takes so long... The charsheet is currently four pages and will likely end up as five with one containing notes on companions, familari and the like.

DarkStar
August 19th, 2006, 10:38
Hey, I updated the URL to my d20 (official ruleset) character sheet mod. Thanks goes to PeSt for hosting. :)

You can grab the file here (https://baalster.stene.com/FG%20charsheet%20mod.zip).

hairrorist
November 14th, 2012, 21:50
Well Iron, before I read this thread I knew nothing about you or your company and likely would have patronized your store, but reading this little hissy fit you've ensured that neither I nor my friends will ever make the mistake of giving you a dollar.

Bonus Tip: as with most IP 'discussion' on the internet by both content creators, users, and modding gurus, you do not understand copyright and trademark.

JohnD
November 14th, 2012, 21:56
[/Thread Necromancy]