PDA

View Full Version : Custom NPCs when the initial entry is READ ONLY from the Monster Manual

lbealsjr
January 11th, 2018, 17:07
Trying to make a custom mind flayer - basically just want to add some backstory to the notes tab and add a bit more flavour but the issue is germane to any custom NPC.

1. Start with new encounter - named Boss Fight.
2. Open NPCs tab, type in Mind Flayer, Pick option from the Monster Manual, Drag and drop into encounter tab and it shows the NPC, rename to the Mind Flayers name on the encounter tab to keep it straight.
3. Click on the dragon head icon and it opens the Mind Flayer tab entry, the lock icon shows Read Only when moused over and will not allow it to be changed. So basically you can not customize any of the base monsters in the MM without building from scratch a separate entry? or am I missing a step here?
4. Tried dragging and dropping the info from the base entry into a new built from scratch entry and that doesn't work, seems the only work around is to laboriously manually retype the entry. I certainly hope that is not the case because it makes things just one step above useless.

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2018, 17:13
Do this instead;
1. Open NPC tab, search for the Mind Flayer
2. Grab the Mind Flayer and drag and drop it back onto the NPC list (this makes a copy of it)
3. Open your copy. Unlock it, rename it, modify it, etc.
4. Create a custom group in the NPC list, drag your custom NPC to this group
5. Now add the new NPC to your encounter

lbealsjr
January 11th, 2018, 17:18
Do this instead;
r

Thank you thank you, didn't think of doing it that way. I still have difficulty even after using the program for over a year trying to get the "FG Mindset" when looking how to do things.

Talyn
January 11th, 2018, 18:33
Think of it this way: the FG "Reference Modules" (aka GM Modules) are read-only because they're supposed to always be able to represent the book. If you alter say, a goblin, then every goblin you ever use (in this specific campaign) would reflect those changes. Adventure modules, on the other hand, are editable because then you're only editing the data (npc, story, items, whatever) for that specific module, but you still have the Reference Modules to refer to if need be.

Therefore, as @LordEntrails suggest, make your own copy of monsters for your homebrew adventures and change everything you want, and you still have the official npc in the MM.

JohnD
January 11th, 2018, 19:49
Thank you thank you, didn't think of doing it that way. I still have difficulty even after using the program for over a year trying to get the "FG Mindset" when looking how to do things.

Ask more questions.

Nylanfs
January 11th, 2018, 19:56
Quit your dayjob and become a professional FG GM, that might help staying in the right mindset.

JohnD
January 12th, 2018, 00:12
Quit your dayjob and become a professional FG GM, that might help staying in the right mindset.

Could be a dream job or a nightmare.