PDA

View Full Version : Player Mapping in Fantasy Grounds

Reynard203
January 10th, 2018, 18:50
One of the key components of old school play was that the players had to map their way through the dungeon, hoping not to get lost in winding passages and cavernous ruins. With the virtual tabletop being what it is, i am wondering how to go about this. The players should be able to all see the map they make, but I do not want to give them the map. I can use discrete battlemaps for any individual room in which a battle occurs or something else makes it important to know exact placement, but I am trying to run this game as close to the "old style" as possible.

Thanks.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2018, 18:56
You'll be limited to the players drawing on a map - I recommend sharing a basic blank JPG image that is large enough for mapping. The drawing functionality is fairly basic though. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Drawings

Plus you can share some basic tokens with the players - walls and a few other things, that they can put on the map.

LordEntrails
January 10th, 2018, 20:49
When I'm doing a dungeon delve (i.e. Undermountain) my players map on grid paper and I never show them a map/image of the full dungeon or level. If I were a player, I would use a mapping program to do it, but they choose paper.

The tools in FG are too basic in my opinion to use when there are other options.

JohnD
January 10th, 2018, 22:15
I wonder, with a blank jpeg. You apply the grid for scale. Could you use a stylus/tablet drawing combo to make a good hand drawn map in FG? Would the tablet/pen input work?

damned
January 11th, 2018, 00:59
You could use a variation of the method below to create individual rooms each time they enter and they must offline map it themselves.
Or create maps for each room and share/unshare the room each time and again they map offline...
They would need some way to share the map amongst themselves... external to FG...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/quick-mapping.gif

Nickademus
January 11th, 2018, 03:38
I've never had a situation where all of the players could see the drawings of all of the players. There is always one or more players that can't see someone's drawings. So I avoid using the draw tool.

darrenan
January 11th, 2018, 18:07
I believe the GM has to draw on the image first to allow all players to see all other players' drawings. If you don't, then only the person drawing can see it. That's been my experience anyway.

Varsuuk
February 5th, 2018, 18:42
To aid in this, a future FG improvement could be (in 3 or Unity) to have a setMaskStart#/setMaskEnd# button where it records what you unmask into a table for like 1-N (3 sounds like a good number) “sets” of masking. This way, the GM can “undo” the masking in a jiffy as players advance past masked areas. If it allows more than 2, last/current...then the gm can keep a “record” of masking settings to turn on and off as desired.

Just spitballin’ here.

TheSwartz
May 13th, 2019, 00:35
I believe the GM has to draw on the image first to allow all players to see all other players' drawings. If you don't, then only the person drawing can see it. That's been my experience anyway.

AAHHHHH!!!!!!!

After much searching. That's why.....

I wonder if someone could update https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Drawings with this fact? Would be extremely helpful :)

Thanks a bunch!

Zacchaeus
May 13th, 2019, 00:40
If it isn’t doing what it says on the wiki that may be a bug.

celestian
May 13th, 2019, 02:14
I did ask a question related to this topic on the FantasyGrounds Friday of Doug. The question was if there was going to be support for players drawing their own map and showing it to other players. His response was no. His follow up seemed to suggest it wasn't going to be a feature added later either.

Couple of my players have asked for it in my games but perhaps we're just anomalies.

damned
May 13th, 2019, 03:36
Add it to the wishlist and ask people to vote for it...

yeknom
May 13th, 2019, 05:43
Couple of my players have asked for it in my games but perhaps we're just anomalies.

Not just your players, most of mine have made a reference to it at some point. At present we have one player map offline and share it in a text chatgroup via our phones.

yeknom
May 13th, 2019, 05:44
Add it to the wishlist and ask people to vote for it...

Excellent idea.

DwightLee
May 13th, 2019, 15:08
That is the way to do it right there :) Nice!

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2019, 01:12
The idea is here on the wishlist; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=126027

Topdecker
May 18th, 2019, 14:38
imgur.com.... Greenshot, a free screen grab program, can grab screen shots and then upload them to imgur while putting the link on the clipboard. After uploading, you just paste the link in chat or a whisper. I use it as a GM, players mapping could use it to share their maps.

Otherwise, all kinds of stuff happens in discord whispers :)