PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding on a Second Computer

Dax Doomslayer
January 10th, 2018, 14:18
Hi Folks,
I'm comfortably set up using my home PC with FG. When I was initially setting this up, I had a bit of an problem with the whole port forward issue. Damned was extremely kind to help me work through and resolve that issue. Now I also recently purchased a laptop and want to use it at the table (along with FG). When running the 'test' it fails. My suspicion is that this is the same "port forward" issue. Does anyone know if I try to open a port for my laptop (no easy feat for me btw), will that mess up my PC's port forward as this would be the same router etc.? I definitely do not want to do that but on the flip, I'm dreading trying to remember how this was done before - lol...Thanks.

Andraax
January 10th, 2018, 15:34
You can only forward to one computer at a time. This needs to be the GM computer. If you're using a second computer for connecting as a player, it doesn't need to have the port forwarded, nor does it need to get a "success" on the connection test.

Dax Doomslayer
January 10th, 2018, 15:42
Thanks for the reply Andraax. Actually this would be as the DM for my table game. The laptop would be used downstairs (my PC is located upstairs in my office so I can't use that). I do understand that the player doesn't require the port forward - only the DM/GM. So for my edification, my understanding of what you are saying is it that I would need to change the port for my laptop and then change it back for my PC as I can't have two acting as the DM despite the fact that one isn't being used at that time? I appreciate the response. Thanks.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2018, 15:48
When you’re using FG on the laptop at the table, will players be connecting from the Internet?

If not, then you don’t need port forwarding. If players are on your network with their own laptops and connecting to FG give them your local IP address (not alias) to connect. If no players will be connecting then there’s nothing to worry about, just load up your campaign.

Andraax
January 10th, 2018, 15:57
And if you never use the desktop to GM a game, just port forward to the laptop. You only need the ports forwarded when you are actively GMing a game and having players from outside your home network connecting. It's not required to play locally only, or for doing GM "setup" stuff.

Dax Doomslayer
January 10th, 2018, 15:59
Hmmm - you know, I didn't think / know about that. I just assumed it'd be from the internet. However, they will be on my wireless network. So, I could just have them type in the internal address and that should allow them to connect?! I want one person to connect as that seems like it'd be easier to have that person's laptop be connected to the TV. The extending the screen etc. is a bit of a hassle while trying to run. This is good to know!!

Trenloe
January 10th, 2018, 16:06
So, I could just have them type in the internal address and that should allow them to connect?!
Yes.

Dax Doomslayer
January 10th, 2018, 16:11
Cool! Thanks for the input Trenloe and Andraax!! It is greatly appreciated. These boards are so helpful!