PDA

View Full Version : Healed by Necrotic Energy

LordEntrails
January 10th, 2018, 03:40
Can anyone think of any WotC 5E creatures that are healed by necrotic energy/damage? It seems like most/all of the undead I've checked are immune to necrotic damage, but I don't see any with traits that are healed by it.
Thanks in Advance.

Nickademus
January 10th, 2018, 04:06
The idea that negative energy heals undead doesn't exist in 5e. I've seen nothing official that treats necrotic as anything other than damage.

LordEntrails
January 10th, 2018, 05:03
Yea, I know in general necrotic doesn't heal undead, but I didn't/don't know if their might be some creature that does have such an ability. I'm looking to create a custom creature that is positively effected by necrotic energy and was hoping to find something for inspiration or verbage.

Basically I'm thinking some sort of spirit that can't be permanently killed while it leaves in the remnants of a necrotic energy field leftover from old magic.

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2018, 09:07
There is nothing that heals from any kind of damage that I'm aware of. There are a few things that when the do damage they can heal part or all of that damage themselves. But nothing which heals on a specific damage type.

And so to your unasked question there isn't a way to automate it.

Axoid
January 10th, 2018, 12:43
There are a few creature that do heal from a specific damage type. The Shambling Mound heals from lightning damage for instance. I can't think of any that heal from necrotic though. FG doesn't have an effect to automate the heal though.

Nickademus
January 10th, 2018, 15:10
There is nothing that heals from any kind of damage that I'm aware of.

Flesh Golem trait:
Lightning Absorption. Whenever the golem is subjected to lightning damage, it takes no damage and instead regains a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt.

These things exist here and there, though nothing for radiant or necrotic damage though.

LordEntrails
January 10th, 2018, 16:30
Thanks all. I wasn't thinking there would be anyway to automate it. Not too worried about that. But do want to keep as close as possible to the wording and thoughts of other abilities that might be similar (i.e. shambling mound, thanks you!)

Going to go look at Black Pudding, that might have something too.

LordEntrails
January 10th, 2018, 17:14
Thanks all, black pudding only splits.

The Lightning Absorption from the flesh golem/shambling mound is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Blackwolf
January 10th, 2018, 19:53
Iron Golems heal from fire damage. Just because you cant find a precedence already set for this, which several creatures mentioned do heal from damage types. Does not mean you could not be the one to set this. REMEMBER the rules are meant to serve as a guide not a hindrance to imagination, just try to be fair.

damned
January 11th, 2018, 01:06
Flesh Golem trait:
Lightning Absorption. Whenever the golem is subjected to lightning damage, it takes no damage and instead regains a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt.

These things exist here and there, though nothing for radiant or necrotic damage though.

I knew Nick would know... huzzah!

Nickademus
January 11th, 2018, 03:40
I do love me some golems.

lokiare
January 11th, 2018, 08:26
The quick way to make a creature heal from damage would be to CTRL drag and drop the damage from the chat to the creature twice, once to negate the damage, and again to heal the amount taken. Not sure if that's helpful though.

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2018, 17:11
The quick way to make a creature heal from damage would be to CTRL drag and drop the damage from the chat to the creature twice, once to negate the damage, and again to heal the amount taken. Not sure if that's helpful though.
Not for me, but for others reading this is might :)

I'm really just creating a custom NPC and want to keep the concepts and wording as close to WotC things as I can while keeping the NPC concept.