PDA

View Full Version : Players having multiple script errors during game session

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 15:53
Greetings,

First, I love FG! It has allowed me to reacquaint myself with the world of D&D and again travel the Forgotten Realms. I have even embarked on the journey of the DM and I have enjoyed that more than I thought possible. Here is the problem though.

The players in my game, I only run one (currently), continually have issues with script errors, connectivity and other bugs during game sessions. Especially when they attempt to view a source book. The PHB is of particular issue for some reason.

I have the current version, and an ultimate license. I have zero issues when I participate as a player in other games. My computer is clean of bugs or any other types of interference, my internet connection is solid and I am not wireless. I have corrected some issues with images and their sizes which greatly reduced some issues that players had, but it is a continual problem and has in fact shut down two sessions recently.

*Edit* I run a 5E game and do not use any mods.

As I am a tech idiot, I am hoping that someone can point me in the proper direction.

Thanks

Andraax
January 9th, 2018, 15:55
Have them nuke their cache and reconnect (preferably when no one else is connected). Sounds like their download from you failed.

Talyn
January 9th, 2018, 16:04
You mentioned images and maps, so that's good that you're working on correcting those. FG is a 32-bit application and if it gets near (or crosses) the 3.2GB memory usage mark, it will start acting weird (same as any other 32-bit application) or crashing.

From your end, make sure you're not sharing too many images or maps. Once you finish with a battlemap, unshare it. Make sure images and maps are no more than 2048x2048 resolution, and use .jpg format to reduce file size and memory constraints. Also cut down (or better, eliminate) the amount of tokens you share. Tokens sit in memory whether they are being used or not.

On the players' end, you say you have the PHB so tell them to not also load the SRD and/or Basic Rules modules. They should only load what they absolutely need. FG's sharing mechanism is weird, and something like the PHB which will only use up a couple hundred MB for you has been recorded as using up to 1.6GB on the player's side, mostly due to the images getting uncompressed when shared, I'm told. If need be, you can drag the red icon over certain modules (even if they're player modules) to prevent your server from sharing them, but I'd suggest talking to your players and having them learn to be responsible on their own before just laying down the ban hammer. :)

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 16:19
Several of them have done this multiple times in the last few sessions.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 16:20
Have them nuke their cache and reconnect (preferably when no one else is connected). Sounds like their download from you failed.

This is the post I was answering, I clicked the wrong reply button! (Like I said, "Tech idiot")

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 16:22
You mentioned images and maps, so that's good that you're working on correcting those. FG is a 32-bit application and if it gets near (or crosses) the 3.2GB memory usage mark, it will start acting weird (same as any other 32-bit application) or crashing.

From your end, make sure you're not sharing too many images or maps. Once you finish with a battlemap, unshare it. Make sure images and maps are no more than 2048x2048 resolution, and use .jpg format to reduce file size and memory constraints. Also cut down (or better, eliminate) the amount of tokens you share. Tokens sit in memory whether they are being used or not.

On the players' end, you say you have the PHB so tell them to not also load the SRD and/or Basic Rules modules. They should only load what they absolutely need. FG's sharing mechanism is weird, and something like the PHB which will only use up a couple hundred MB for you has been recorded as using up to 1.6GB on the player's side, mostly due to the images getting uncompressed when shared, I'm told. If need be, you can drag the red icon over certain modules (even if they're player modules) to prevent your server from sharing them, but I'd suggest talking to your players and having them learn to be responsible on their own before just laying down the ban hammer. :)

Could I have too many source books in the library open? Meaning if I have all the adventures (I do) and have them open, but not shared, could that cause an issue for my players?

Talyn
January 9th, 2018, 16:27
Could I have too many source books in the library open? Meaning if I have all the adventures (I do) and have them open, but not shared, could that cause an issue for my players?

No, the only thing that matters in that regard is extensions and shared tokens. Those get uploaded (shared) to your players without your control. Modules are purely the player's fault for loading them. :) That's why I said to first tell them to only load what they need. If you have the PHB, they don't need the Basic Rules or SRD loaded because it's just doubling (or tripling if they load all three) the data. If they own their own PHB, then their copy gets loaded instead of your server uploading and uncompressing your PHB and taking up a bunch of memory, so that's always an option if the players have low-memory PCs.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 16:35
No, the only thing that matters in that regard is extensions and shared tokens. Those get uploaded (shared) to your players without your control. Modules are purely the player's fault for loading them. :) That's why I said to first tell them to only load what they need. If you have the PHB, they don't need the Basic Rules or SRD loaded because it's just doubling (or tripling if they load all three) the data. If they own their own PHB, then their copy gets loaded instead of your server uploading and uncompressing your PHB and taking up a bunch of memory, so that's always an option if the players have low-memory PCs.

My shared tokens file is empty if that means anything.

JohnD
January 9th, 2018, 16:41
Are your players on wireless connections?

Trenloe
January 9th, 2018, 16:47
The players in my game, I only run one (currently), continually have issues with script errors, connectivity and other bugs during game sessions.
We need to know what the script errors are, this will give us a clue as to what is going on.

When the players get the script errors as them to either screenshot the window that pops up, or copy/paste the text of the errors -

Questions for you: As full background on what you're running please provide a screenshot of the FG chat window just after it has started the campaign - showing the ruleset versions and any extensions you're running.

Also please go to Library -> Modules to show the "Data Module Activation" window. Click the "All" button so that "Loaded" appears - resize the window so that all modules appear, then take a screenshot of the window. Attach that screenshot to this thread.

Thanks.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 16:50
Are your players on wireless connections?

I believe one or more MAY be. I had one player last night have to "reimage" his hard drive. As I am a total tech idiot, I have no clue what that means.

I have seven players. Although in the last few sessions several have been missing. Could be the connectivity issues is driving them elsewhere.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 17:45
We need to know what the script errors are, this will give us a clue as to what is going on.

When the players get the script errors as them to either screenshot the window that pops up, or copy/paste the text of the errors -

Questions for you: As full background on what you're running please provide a screenshot of the FG chat window just after it has started the campaign - showing the ruleset versions and any extensions you're running.

Also please go to Library -> Modules to show the "Data Module Activation" window. Click the "All" button so that "Loaded" appears - resize the window so that all modules appear, then take a screenshot of the window. Attach that screenshot to this thread.

Thanks.

Hope these help

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:25
I am a player in the game mentioned. I will try to cause the errors and do a screen cap. While trying to clear my cache on start up I got this

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:26
Second time through - data deleted.

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:29
Initial load up screens - loaded all 5e Rules

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:45
An on start up.... script errors

Text log file attached

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:51
Log file....

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:53
And finally the game crash....

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 18:58
And then inability to get back in....

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2018, 18:59
I'm not sure about the error that the player got when clearing the cache; not seen that before. But the errors we need are really the ones that happen during the game.

The most common cause is memory issues on the players side and you are sharing an awful lot of modules. You should unshare the PHB customization pack since that's all in the PHB so that should save some space. It isn't clear which module you are actually using for your campaign but you don't need to have any more that the one you are using; so close the others (I know those aren't being shared but there's no point in having them open). Likewise you don't need the MM, Tomb of Beasts and other DM only modules if you are not actually using them while the game is running. If you have amended encounters to include beasts from somewhere else rather than using the prebuilt ones then you can close them afterwards. Only if you are adding monsters on the fly during your game do you really need them open.

As for the players side since you are sharing so much then you will need to be careful how much stuff you share in addition to all of that from the actual adventure; this isn't confined to maps (although they'll take up the most memory) but also images of beasties and other things. Prune all of that severely whilst the players are not connected and then, as noted above, have the players nuke their cache before they reconnect.

You can also start a new campaign and see if players still have issues with minimal modules shared. If they do then there may be a deeper problem.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 19:08
I'm not sure about the error that the player got when clearing the cache; not seen that before. But the errors we need are really the ones that happen during the game.

The most common cause is memory issues on the players side and you are sharing an awful lot of modules. You should unshare the PHB customization pack since that's all in the PHB so that should save some space. It isn't clear which module you are actually using for your campaign but you don't need to have any more that the one you are using; so close the others (I know those aren't being shared but there's no point in having them open). Likewise you don't need the MM, Tomb of Beasts and other DM only modules if you are not actually using them while the game is running. If you have amended encounters to include beasts from somewhere else rather than using the prebuilt ones then you can close them afterwards. Only if you are adding monsters on the fly during your game do you really need them open.

As for the players side since you are sharing so much then you will need to be careful how much stuff you share in addition to all of that from the actual adventure; this isn't confined to maps (although they'll take up the most memory) but also images of beasties and other things. Prune all of that severely whilst the players are not connected and then, as noted above, have the players nuke their cache before they reconnect.

You can also start a new campaign and see if players still have issues with minimal modules shared. If they do then there may be a deeper problem.

We are doing the Tyranny of Dragons campaign, both books, still on the first. I have added a lot to the story though.

If I close the MM and other DM modules will I still be able to utilize the NPCs from those books in pre-built "random" encounters?

Andraax
January 9th, 2018, 19:13
If I close the MM and other DM modules will I still be able to utilize the NPCs from those books in pre-built "random" encounters?

Yes; however, you do not need to close them, just stop sharing them with your players.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2018, 19:16
Log file....
The key thing here is "Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation" 99% of these errors are caused by the FG client application getting overloaded.

When you are playing, could you run Windows task manager and look at the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe. If you're running 64-bit Windows you will begin to see issues above 3GB in memory use, normally around 3.2GB or a little more.

If this is the case, which I suspect it is, then it is probably caused by some library modules - and maybe the amount of campaign images shared with you. Check the Maps and Images list to see what is shared. Also see about closing down some library modules you don't use.

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 19:17
In game image load fail script failure....

Trenloe
January 9th, 2018, 19:22
I am a player in the game mentioned. I will try to cause the errors and do a screen cap. While trying to clear my cache on start up I got this
As there have been issues with this campaign, you'll need to manually delete the D:/johnw/Applications/FantasyGrounds/cache/Dragon Horde directory. Just the player not the GM!

Then Join Game again. Once logged in, the first thing you should do is close down some library modules.

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 19:23
Screenshot of Taskmanger with Fantasy Grounds running

Trenloe
January 9th, 2018, 19:25
Screenshot of Taskmanger with Fantasy Grounds running

This is the issue. The player side of FG is using way too much memory. This will be caused by open library modules and data (mostly images) shared with you by the GM.

See post #25 for next steps.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 19:27
In game image load fail script failure....

This is odd as I have never tried to share the image "campfire" with the group.

jwrightFANTASYG
January 9th, 2018, 19:27
As there have been issues with this campaign, you'll need to manually delete the D:/johnw/Applications/FantasyGrounds/cache/Dragon Horde directory. Just the player not the GM!

Then Join Game again. Once logged in, the first thing you should do is close down some library modules.

With the last screenshot where the image crashed on load I had I come back in with only the Player's Handbook module loaded. Will we need to do this every time we log in? This seems odd.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2018, 19:36
With the last screenshot where the image crashed on load I had I come back in with only the Player's Handbook module loaded. Will we need to do this every time we log in? This seems odd.
The local cache will still have previous module data in it.

Once you've logged in and closed all the modules, exit FG, restart and click the clear cache button. This will help to start with a clear set of data.

Talyn
January 9th, 2018, 19:36
We are doing the Tyranny of Dragons campaign, both books, still on the first. I have added a lot to the story though.

All of the campaigns include the monsters and are intended to be playable without owning any of the sourcebooks. Loading the MM is just adding to your own memory usage unnecessarily, as is having every single module you own loaded like in that first screenshot.

The modules your player posted that he has loaded looked perfectly fine, however. Not too much and no GM-only modules (I didn't see any GM modules on your list that you had forcibly shared anyway.) So, assuming that player has a reasonable amount of RAM on his computer, the issue is likely images or potentially a corrupted campaign database which is why @Trenloe suggested the players manually delete that campaign folder to force it to start from scratch with a fresh download from your server.

OldJarhead
January 9th, 2018, 19:58
All of the campaigns include the monsters and are intended to be playable without owning any of the sourcebooks. Loading the MM is just adding to your own memory usage unnecessarily, as is having every single module you own loaded like in that first screenshot.

The modules your player posted that he has loaded looked perfectly fine, however. Not too much and no GM-only modules (I didn't see any GM modules on your list that you had forcibly shared anyway.) So, assuming that player has a reasonable amount of RAM on his computer, the issue is likely images or potentially a corrupted campaign database which is why @Trenloe suggested the players manually delete that campaign folder to force it to start from scratch with a fresh download from your server.

I just manually un-shared a bunch (A BUNCH) of images I had shared with the group throughout the campaign (started in late March). Trial run with group member resulted in a much quicker sharing of maps and images and no errors.
Thanks to all the helpful post.

Nylanfs
January 9th, 2018, 23:41
Yea!