PDA

View Full Version : Project: Author

Pages : [1] 2 3

celestian
January 9th, 2018, 03:36
Works with CoreRPG v2021.07.06+ and layered rulesets.

If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439).

The goal of this tool is to make it a little easier to write ref-manuals. The idea is to use the parts of FG that are easy to use and then export that to the ref-manual format. So, you can use the Story editor, with all the tables, bold, italic and other formatting tools easily and then create a ref-manual.

This tool is not much use to anyone other than content creators. Also keep in mind there are some limitations with the ability to create ref-manuals.

How does it work?

I've put together a short tutorial on how to use Author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5J00YBZ8Cc

If you still are not sure how to use it read on, perhaps that will help.

Each category in your Story records will be set as a chapter. Each Story entry that has the checkbox ticked will be the start of a sub-chapter. Each Story entry also has a Frame option that can be set. If the Frame value is empty the default set in the Export window will be used.

Note: you can organize category names by using leading numbers before the name so it appears in the order you want it to appear in the ref-manual listing. These numbers will be stripped out in the ref-manual so you dont have them dangling around. TIP: When using this method to keep the chapters and stories organized, remember to give them a name. Do not just name a category "05" as this will show up as a blank entry in the reference manual index list since the numbers are stripped out. So, name it something like "05 Chapter - 1".

Create story entries in each group/category how you wish them to appear in each chapter. You can also set the frame on individual story entries or leave them blank to use the global default set in the export window. If you wish to indent a story name you can add a underscore to the entry. Example "056.009 _The Deep Caves". This would indent the story in the ref-manual listing.

https://i.imgur.com/QsJdvnO.png

A kind person put together a reference manual module with images of the CoreRPG frames (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41833-Project-Author&p=428439&viewfull=1#post428439). Use this to see examples of what the frames appear like in the reference manual.

If you would like to have "tags" added to links, then use this method to drag/drop those links where you'd like them.

https://i.imgur.com/ZQxkXI1.gif

Type /author (or click the Author icon in top part of the sidebar or in the drop down menu (if you use 2E or Better Menus)). From the Author window you can import the Story entries into the Builder as well as a few other options.

https://i.imgur.com/1NtVgte.png

Frame - The default "background" frame used when importing story entries into the builder. Will bring up a new window and you select which frame you wish to use. This will alter the Author window for visual reference of the frame selected.
Purge - Delete the current Builder content. Tthis cannot be undone.
Build - Import the Story entries into the Builder. This WILL remove any existing Builder (same as purge) before importing. This cannot be undone.
Lock all - Lock all records (best effort to lock all content).
Unlock all - Unlock all records.

https://i.imgur.com/fHtA8OL.gif

After you've loaded the module you should be able to see something like this.
https://i.imgur.com/MNOfTzt.png

For command line options, type "/author help" and you will see this.

https://i.imgur.com/GB892M3.png

Inline images are now supported with a few caveats.

The drag/dropped image link in the Story must be by itself. If you want a list of images you'll need to list them as individual, not stacked.
The descriptive text for the link must not contain <>'s. This also means you cannot apply bold/underline/italic options.

If you have any suggestions or feedback please feel free to post them.

Update 6.0

Updated to support new Builder system from Core update.

Avaliable at the forge link here (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/151/view). You can send a donation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/151/view) to the creator if you like this tool.

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2018, 04:03
Very exciting! Have some questions/ideas, but will play with it before asking.

celestian
January 9th, 2018, 04:37
bug: story with leading numbers in name trimmed will not show properly when linked in another story. (going to look at resolving this)

This turned out to not be a bug ;) I changed the name of the story and didn't update the link in the other story entry to reflect it.

Something else I should mention... right now the idea isn't that this will get the ref-manual 100% done. There aren't enough hooks I can grab to do that... but if this can get 80-90% done I'll call it good ;)

Bidmaron
January 9th, 2018, 04:47
I wish someone familiar with the SW reference manual (I'm not) stuff would give you some feedback. If you read the SW thread (very long), he has worked very thorough magic, but it uses SW-specific classes in many cases, so not very useful to other content creators. He does have a good reference manual module that you might take a look at to see what else can be done.

celestian
January 9th, 2018, 20:09
I wish someone familiar with the SW reference manual (I'm not) stuff would give you some feedback. If you read the SW thread (very long), he has worked very thorough magic, but it uses SW-specific classes in many cases, so not very useful to other content creators. He does have a good reference manual module that you might take a look at to see what else can be done.

Does it allow you to edit the ref-manual within the ref-manual viewer? If someone could give me a quick primer on what it does and where it does it I'll play with it and see if I can figure/use parts of it.

Talyn
January 9th, 2018, 20:44
He's referring to SWEL -- Savage Worlds Extended Library (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19202-Savage-Worlds-Enhancement-Extensions&p=152731&viewfull=1#post152731) which includes a Content Importer where you can paste its custom markup into the window and preview the reference manual on the fly. It's nice, it's fast and pretty easy to work with (I've done one DLC project with it already and am currently doing one as I write this) and if you're only doing the reference manual you can just export that and copy it into your file for any other ruleset. It is heavily linked to the Savage Worlds ruleset and its API however; that's why it freaks the eff out (I think I set a personal record for the number of errors it generated) if you load it in other rulesets.

Just to clarify, there's nothing "custom" about reference manuals in Savage Worlds or any other ruleset. They are purely a CoreRPG feature. However SWEL itself only works within Savage Worlds and @Ikael has little enough time with a new baby daughter that he doesn't want to chisel out the bits that could be a generic CoreRPG library for any ruleset. I'd imagine anyone wanting to tackle that, he'd probably offer his guidance.

Ikael
January 9th, 2018, 22:12
Indeed this project is very similar to Savage Worlds Enhanced Library (SWEL), Talyn mentioned. The focus is to allow users to create complex reference manuals with simple text markup. Source codes are free and can be found from Talyn's pointed link but the code is very much strictly attached to SavageWorlds ruleset because that's where my "domain" is (I don't play other systems anymore). I have already used SWEL to create three production ready products (three The Last Parsec settings) and next I will be doing Savage Worlds Flash Gordon conversion with it. The scope it wider in SWEL compared to your project, but the idea is the same, provide tools for content developers!

You can use SWEL to create reference manual for any ruleset, but you need to do it using SavageWorlds ruleset (which allows you to use the magical extension). After the export you are alter the ruleset dependency to be whatever you want and it will work as the reference manuals are shared standard for all CoreRPG derived rulesets.

SWEL existed before CoreRPG was ever a thing and before I got SavageWorlds lead developer role which is why its so bind to it. You are free to replicate any of SWEL code you see it in your case.

Your approach doesn't seem to support reference manual block layouts yet, but I would be interested seeing if you provide some GUI tools to do it; in SWEL block layouts are defined in the text markup with combination of FG UI to preview them partially WYSIWYG.

celestian
January 9th, 2018, 23:12
Your approach doesn't seem to support reference manual block layouts yet, but I would be interested seeing if you provide some GUI tools to do it; in SWEL block layouts are defined in the text markup with combination of FG UI to preview them partially WYSIWYG.

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, what do you mean "manual block layouts" ? Inline images perhaps?

Talyn
January 9th, 2018, 23:15
The "big feature" (aside from being together in pseudo "book" form) to refpages is putting the content into blocks so you can use the various frame graphics, embedded images, and other features.

If you're doing nothing more than formatted text with no blocks then you've got formatted text smashed right up against the page borders and no other features.

Knowing the XML helps with tackling projects that create the XML for others. ;)

Even using SWEL doesn't eliminate the need to delve into the XML due to the FG client itself preventing the writing of certain data (specifically images come to mind) so even after it creates my reference manuals, I still have to go back in and add in the image tag and make sure the file location is correct.

celestian
January 10th, 2018, 01:28
The "big feature" (aside from being together in pseudo "book" form) to refpages is putting the content into blocks so you can use the various frame graphics, embedded images, and other features.

If you're doing nothing more than formatted text with no blocks then you've got formatted text smashed right up against the page borders and no other features.

Knowing the XML helps with tackling projects that create the XML for others. ;)

Even using SWEL doesn't eliminate the need to delve into the XML due to the FG client itself preventing the writing of certain data (specifically images come to mind) so even after it creates my reference manuals, I still have to go back in and add in the image tag and make sure the file location is correct.

I was confused by the terminology. I've used imagines in ref manuals and the alignment/etc via XML but wasn't sure if that was what he was referring to.

Unless that support is added to story records in general I don't see it'll be something I'll have for the short term. As I said initially, this isn't going to get it 100% done (ref-manual). It's to get a bulk of it out of XML editing where I can.

In a perfect world I'd have a option to edit ref-manuals directly. I'm not to that point yet ... or know if that's even possible.

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2018, 03:05
I am not sure what GUI Ikael alluded to, but if you need to resize a block vertically, I previously posted here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41325-Dragline-Control) a pretty well tested set of xml and code to handle resizing a control or pair of controls vertically (if two controls one shrinks at the expense of the other control that grows). I haven't done a horizontal dragline yet, but I needed the vertical dragline for my Generators extension.

Talyn
January 10th, 2018, 03:07
... or know if that's even possible.

It's not, see my final sentence in the previous comment. There are certain areas where FG's API just refuses to play along, and even trying to force it to via directly writing the XML text rather than an API call, the API still catches it and effs it up.

If you have Savage Worlds, give SWEL a shot. It pretty much lets me take my PDF Text Export (that's how I do all my DLC) and put the SWEL Markup directly in there the copy it over to the Content Importer. All I have to do afterwards is go back into the XML and correct any image tags. I normally clean up the refpage recordname too, that's something else the API forces. I don't like having a 40+ character recordname from the API when a simple ".." will suffice.

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2018, 03:14
If you are developing for SW, it is great, but if not, then there are quite a few global search and replace you have to do to change classes to the ones CoreRPG expects, or at least that was the case the last time I looked at it.

Talyn
January 10th, 2018, 03:20
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about @Bidmaron. The only time SWEL outputs SW-specific markup is if you input SW-specific stuff. If you're only doing reference manual stuff in the Content Importer, its output is pure CoreRPG reference manual XML. Nothing more, nothing less. You can do a reference manual for any ruleset in SWEL, then copy that markup into your working project XML and be done with it.

Bidmaron
January 10th, 2018, 03:27
Some of the classes don't cross. Items and stuff like that are specific to SW (spells, too if I remember correctly). It has been a long time, but I was working on a converter at one point, but I never could reliably get the module pack and unpack to work right from visual basic. When I get time, I'll dig up the thread where we discussed all the classes you have to manually convert in the xml.

Talyn
January 10th, 2018, 03:31
Items and spells are SW-specific though, and not relevant to reference manuals... Therefore if you input those SW-specific bits into an SW-specific extension in the SW ruleset, take a wild guess which data classes they'll be constructed for? :)

The point of Project: Author is ostensibly reference manual construction, not a full-blown project IDE within the UI. At least that's how I read it? So items, spells, etc. aren't part of the bargain.

celestian
January 10th, 2018, 06:02
The point of Project: Author is ostensibly reference manual construction, not a full-blown project IDE within the UI. At least that's how I read it? So items, spells, etc. aren't part of the bargain.

Other than to include them in the build so the ref-manual includes them no. You can certainly link to them in the ref-manual Story pages... if you want something other than a strict "listing" menu you'll need to manually create those XML entries. Right now it'll just do a simple "list everything" for whatever you add to the /author export.

Short version, you can include Spells, Skills, NPCs/etc in the /author for ref-manual use. Other than that I'm not sure where the direction the conversation was intended to be going ;)

mixologee
January 16th, 2018, 01:04
So I followed the steps for authoring, but when i reload FG, it doesn't show up in my list of modules to choose. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Any assistance would be awesome. I have the clients.xml and definition.xml files and they look fine, but not showing up when I go to load modules.

celestian
January 16th, 2018, 01:19
So I followed the steps for authoring, but when i reload FG, it doesn't show up in my list of modules to choose. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Any assistance would be awesome. I have the clients.xml and definition.xml files and they look fine, but not showing up when I go to load modules.

Where are the files located? The full path would be helpful.

rob2e
January 16th, 2018, 08:50

I have this same issue.

damned
January 16th, 2018, 12:32
Filename should be client.xml - not clientS.xml

mixologee
January 16th, 2018, 12:59
File location is C:\users\...\FantasyGrounds\modules\AuthRefSample

The instructions on the first post are as follows:

When you're done click "author" and it will ask you the path to place the clients.xml file. Something like modules/AuthorRefSample should be fine. If the directory doesn't already exist you'll need to use your tools in this window to create and then navigate into it.

I will test with just client.xml when I get home and let you know.

celestian
January 16th, 2018, 14:51
File location is C:\users\...\FantasyGrounds\modules\AuthRefSample

The instructions on the first post are as follows:

When you're done click "author" and it will ask you the path to place the clients.xml file. Something like modules/AuthorRefSample should be fine. If the directory doesn't already exist you'll need to use your tools in this window to create and then navigate into it.

I will test with just client.xml when I get home and let you know.

Apologies for the typo in the instructions. Damned is correct, it should be client.xml.

I've edited the first post and corrected the mistake.

Nulk
January 20th, 2018, 11:25
I love this Celestian and it looks very promising, though any chance we can get Chapter and sub-chapter capability? at the moment I see only ability to create a single level of chapter and pages rather than the two that are capable via Par5e.
Honestly if this was able to be configured, I be elated as it would satisfy my needs (wants) completely. I'd then drop Par5e and do all my content creation in-game.

celestian
January 20th, 2018, 20:30
I love this Celestian and it looks very promising, though any chance we can get Chapter and sub-chapter capability? at the moment I see only ability to create a single level of chapter and pages rather than the two that are capable via Par5e.
Honestly if this was able to be configured, I be elated as it would satisfy my needs (wants) completely. I'd then drop Par5e and do all my content creation in-game.

The problem with chapter/sub-chapter in this case is there is only one level of categories within stories which is what the sub-chapter is based on.

I might could make the categories the chapter and then allow a story name to start with "[sub]" (or something similar) and have that make a sub with all items below in that sub until another "[sub]".

I am trying to avoid using special language triggers tho I already allow preceding numbers for order (and then trimmed off) so perhaps it wouldn't be to complex.

Thoughts?

I'll be travelling for my day job all next week so won't be able to poke at it till after... will give me sometime to think about it.

mixologee
January 20th, 2018, 20:54
The developer in me thinks instead of just scrubbing the numbers, if they are in a format like 1.01.01 you could subchapter from that format. Just a thought

celestian
January 20th, 2018, 21:31
The developer in me thinks instead of just scrubbing the numbers, if they are in a format like 1.01.01 you could subchapter from that format. Just a thought

That might not a bad idea. I would need to figure out a way that allows me to insert story entries I missed w/o having to rename everything below it. Right now I tend to just add a xxx.001 and the entry is right after the one I wanted. if I used xxx.xxx.000 for sub chapters it would cause issues (the xxx.001.xxx would need to persist through the sub-chapter to keep the right order) and then have problems where you need to insert something you missed or added later.

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2018, 21:35
Why not just a unnumbered heading marker and let the app number it? For instance;

<H1>first level one section
<H2>first second level section
<H2>second second level section
<H1>second level one section
<H2>first level two section of second first level section...

celestian
January 20th, 2018, 21:49
Why not just a unnumbered heading marker and let the app number it? For instance;

<H1>first level one section
<H2>first second level section
<H2>second second level section
<H1>second level one section
<H2>first level two section of second first level section...

If I understand what your saying correctly there would be a ordering problem.

The only way to get the order to come out consistent for stories is to "sort" them by name so they come out the same as how you see them in the Story records. To do that I've been using leading numbers to the name of the story. I could certainly use something like "12 <sub>Sub-chapter 3" and trigger the sub-chapter based on the "<sub>" string.

LordEntrails
January 20th, 2018, 21:50
If I understand what your saying correctly there would be a ordering problem.

The only way to get the order to come out consistent for stories is to "sort" them by name so they come out the same as how you see them in the Story records. To do that I've been using leading numbers to the name of the story. I could certainly use something like "12 <sub>Sub-chapter 3" and trigger the sub-chapter based on the "<sub>" string.
Yea, I haven't played with your tool yet, so remember that.

But yes, the way I'm talking about would require the input to be put together in order. That might not make sense for your tool.

celestian
February 16th, 2018, 23:54
THIS FUNCTIONALITY REMOVED for the Sub check box option.

1.0 release, added new <sub> tag to name of Story entry option.

Giving a Story entry a tag with <sub> will cause /author tool to create a new sub-chapter from that entry on.

This means every Category will now be a Chapter.

mixologee
February 16th, 2018, 23:57
Nice

GunnarGreybeard
February 17th, 2018, 05:36
WOW! How did I miss this. Looks great celestian.

Bidmaron
February 17th, 2018, 15:11
I agree, Celestian. I would love to see you take this to the level of the SW module creation tools! (and then it should be merged into base)

rob2e
February 22nd, 2018, 10:10
Any closer to the images? Even with links rather than in-line?

celestian
February 22nd, 2018, 17:22
Any closer to the images? Even with links rather than in-line?

I definitely want to get inline images working at least. There is an issue with exporting images I might not be able to get around (limits within what FG allows me to do) but I'll see. It might require manual intervention (placing the images in a folder) but I'll see what is what.

Ikael
February 22nd, 2018, 17:50
I definitely want to get inline images working at least. There is an issue with exporting images I might not be able to get around (limits within what FG allows me to do) but I'll see. It might require manual intervention (placing the images in a folder) but I'll see what is what.

Inline-images are impossible to do with FG API if you want to use them as "image" type (ie. bitmap). You can, however do it as tokens, but that would cause memory hogs and is not recommended by Smiteworks. In SW Enhanced Library extension I have implemented way to export inline images, you just need to tweak the output xml slightly to make it work.

The issue is that you cannot write <bitmap> information unless you use export images, but images can only be exported under specified "images" path that's defined in ruleset. You could, write placeholder information to xml to represent the bitmap info and find-replace it after export to right format.

celestian
February 22nd, 2018, 18:02
Inline-images are impossible to do with FG API if you want to use them as "image" type (ie. bitmap). You can, however do it as tokens, but that would cause memory hogs and is not recommended by Smiteworks. In SW Enhanced Library extension I have implemented way to export inline images, you just need to tweak the output xml slightly to make it work.

The issue is that you cannot write <bitmap> information unless you use export images, but images can only be exported under specified "images" path that's defined in ruleset. You could, write placeholder information to xml to represent the bitmap info and find-replace it after export to right format.

My intent was to scan the formattedtext and search/replace linked images with valid inline options. Where the actual images reside I'm unsure of yet but know I will have issues with it.

I'm theorizing right now however since I've not actually dug into this yet.

At minimum I want to have the linked images work as you'd expect in a story... right now they don't because of the images export issue mentioned previously.

celestian
February 23rd, 2018, 04:46

Do you mean using the /export option and selecting images here? I ask because I've been trying to figure out how to get the <bitmap>..</bitmap> from an image node within the author bits and can't seem to do it. It seems odd I can get the image node entry but <bitmap> is missing ... tho I know it's in the entry because db.xml and /export files show it. I'm guessing it's because of this "Copying of image database nodes is not supported. A new image node will be created as an empty drawing with no token, pointer, mask, or drawing data."

Is there some export() function that allows this I just am missing?

It sounds like for this someone would just have to manually place the files into the client.xml directory (or path/file.img, so long as it matches the linked path).

I wish I had seen that copy image node issue before fiddling with this for a couple hours ;)

Ikael
February 23rd, 2018, 06:33
Like I said its impossible to read/write bitmap info. That info will only be read by imagecontrol and written by export function ONLY if the image is in Images/Maps path. You cannot tweak or edit anyhow. In SWEL I build the entire exported XML structure from the scratch during export and setup everything like scan for images and include them into export etc. If you plan to use built-in export functionality you will have hard if not impossible time to do what you want.

Ikael
February 23rd, 2018, 06:53
This is what SWEL exported xml looks like:

The reference manual image block is written as placeholder <__image__ type="string">Beasts.jpg</__image__> which I can manually patternmatch-replace to correct format after the export

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.3" release="4.6|CoreRPG:3">
<image>
<beasts>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>Beasts.jpg</bitmap>
</image>
<name type="string">Beasts</name>
</beasts>
</image>
<library static="true">
<mysettingbook>
<entries>
<chapter_00001_mysettingbook>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_manual</class>
<recordname>reference.manual</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">My setting book</name>
</chapter_00001_mysettingbook>
</entries>
<name type="string">My Setting Book</name>
</mysettingbook>
</library>
<reference>
<manual static="true">
<chapters>
<chapter_00001>
<name type="string">Setting</name>
<subchapters>
<subchapter_00001>
<name type="string">The World</name>
<refpages>
<refpage_00001>
<blocks>
<block_001>
<__image__ type="string">Beasts.jpg</__image__>
<align type="string">left,right</align>
<blocktype type="string">image</blocktype>
<caption type="string">Beast</caption>
<size type="string">180,271</size>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam gravida diam a vulputate feugiat. Duis sit amet viverra elit, et posuere felis. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Aenean aliquet eros id erat consequat, id dictum felis condimentum. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aliquam porta elementum erat.</p>
<p>Nunc at gravida tortor. Pellentesque malesuada, lacus quis viverra tincidunt, leo enim condimentum elit, quis posuere lectus arcu id diam. Etiam consectetur eros at leo pellentesque ultricies. Quisque metus massa, fringilla id imperdiet et, rhoncus sit amet risus.</p>
<p>Mauris aliquam maximus ipsum, ac tincidunt ante lobortis et. Aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
</text>
</block_001>
</blocks>
<keywords type="string">lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit nullam gravida diam a vulputate feugiat duis viverra et posuere felis pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus netus malesuada fames ac turpis egestas aenean aliquet eros id erat consequat dictum condimentum in hac habitasse platea dictumst aliquam porta elementum nunc at tortor lacus quis tincidunt leo enim lectus arcu etiam ultricies quisque metus massa fringilla imperdiet rhoncus risus mauris maximus ante lobortis volutpat</keywords>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_manualtextwide</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Beasts</name>
</refpage_00001>
</refpages>
</subchapter_00001>
</subchapters>
</chapter_00001>
</chapters>
</manual>
</reference>
</root>

celestian
February 23rd, 2018, 07:02
Like I said its impossible to read/write bitmap info. That info will only be read by imagecontrol and written by export function ONLY if the image is in Images/Maps path. You cannot tweak or edit anyhow. In SWEL I build the entire exported XML structure from the scratch during export and setup everything like scan for images and include them into export etc. If you plan to use built-in export functionality you will have hard if not impossible time to do what you want.

Yeah, based on what you've said and I've seen I'm guessing some of this will require manual intervention... at least the images in the ref folder. I'm pretty sure I can search/replace the story text and replace it with the proper commands to load it as inline ref image as long as I can get the right path (or ask for it in the options).

I really hope when they get FGU out at some point do a review of the api bits we can access. This is the second time I've bumped into issues I can't get around without the user having to do something outside of FG.

celestian
April 23rd, 2018, 07:23
Update 1.2:

Added options to strip leading numbers from ref-book entries (used for ordering but removed for text). Remove chapter, sub-chapter or story entry. I strip out chapter/subchapter and LEAVE story entries. Specially when you are using for adventure module with room numbers.

superteddy57
April 28th, 2018, 15:35
I really like this extension. Has really cut down on my reference manual creation. One neat trick I have learned is I can create the module first that the reference manual is going into and then add links to the story entry before author exports the reference manual. When I then cut it out and add it to the module it already has the links already set and ready to go. This tends to be the longest part of my process and wanted to share what I found.

celestian
April 28th, 2018, 16:43
I really like this extension. Has really cut down on my reference manual creation. One neat trick I have learned is I can create the module first that the reference manual is going into and then add links to the story entry before author exports the reference manual. When I then cut it out and add it to the module it already has the links already set and ready to go. This tends to be the longest part of my process and wanted to share what I found.

Glad you've found it useful!

The way I've been doing it myself is write the adventure module into FG as story entries organized how I like. Once I'm done I /author and export all the related bits I need in the ref manual (npcs, items, parcels/etc) . Once I've done all that I have most of the ref-manual already completed and just need to sort out images and various other things by hand.

celestian
June 5th, 2018, 19:25
Update 1.3

Instead of having text in-line in the reference entry it now refers to the encounter.id-XXXXX entry. You must also include "Story" entries on your /author for this to work.

I did this for a couple reasons, one of which is since I'm limited on the what FG allows LUA to do, I need to use /export for images. Because of that I tend to /export and then /author. I then take the /author reference section and apply it to the exported module structure with a added library link to it. This means the text will only appear in the exported module once and if you manually maintain it or need to update a story (not delete/add) then you won't need to re-run /author.

Mostly just to help me on my own projects but might be useful.

Old entry style:

<id-00001>
<blocks>
<id-00001>
<text type="formattedtext">
<h>1. POOL</h>
<p>The following encounter should challenge a party of 5-8 characters of 1st or 2nd level. If fewer characters are present, or if 2nd level characters are lacking (one or none), the DM should decrease the number of monsters accordingly, first omitting one of the larger creatures, then the smaller, leaving one large monster at all times. Do not, however, add to the number. If the characters are all 2nd or higher level, convert small monsters to large specimens.</p>
<p>Roll 1d6; six giant frogs herein surprise intruders on a result of 1-4. These nasty things leap from their lurking places in the tall weeds near the edge of the pool, to a maximum range of 12 &#34;. They attack madly, for they are voraciously hungry at all times.</p>
<p>If characters are mounted, check to see if the horses panic and throw their riders or plunge into the marsh and become mired. The chance of panic is 90% for most mounts, but only 10% for a warhorse. If panic occurs, the chance of either subsequent occurrence is 50% (check for each, per horse; both may occur to one victim).</p>
<p>Each of the two larger frogs has a tongue 12 feet long; the smaller tongue is a mere 6 feet. If its prey is more than 5 feet away, a frog uses its tongue to attack (gaining a + 4 &#34;to hit&#34; bonus, but for no damage). Any victim hit by the tongue may attack it, and if successful the frog withdraws it and does not use it thereafter. Otherwise, the victim is pulled in by the tongue. A victim weighing more than the frog is dragged in at half speed, gaining a second attempt to hit the tongue. Each of the small frogs weighs about 100 pounds; each of the larger, 200.</p>
<p>For added fun, each frog can swallow an elf, halfling, or small human if its &#34;to hit&#34; roll is 20. The victim has three tries to escape if an edged weapon is in hand; a score of 18 or more is required for success (indicating that the frog is slain). After three failures, a swallowed victim dies.</p>
<p>The largest frog has swallowed an amethyst (worth 100 gp), but the others are penniless.</p>
<linklist>
<link class="treasureparcel" recordname="treasureparcels.id-00047">Treasure: Frog Stomach</link>
</linklist>
<p>Giant frogs, average size (2): AC 7; HD 2; hp 13, 10; MV 3&#34;//9&#34;; #AT 1; D 1-6; XP 70, 64</p>
<p>Giant frogs, small (4): AC 7; HD 1; hp 7, 6, 4, 4; MV 3&#34;//9&#34;; #AT 1; D 1-3; XP 29, 28, 26, 26</p>
<linklist>
<link class="battle" recordname="battle.id-00049">Encounter: Giant Frogs</link>
</linklist>
</text>
</id-00001>
</blocks>
<keywords type="string">Upper Level</keywords>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Upper Level</name>
</id-00001>

New entry style:

-----------------------------
<id-00001>
<keywords type="string">Upper Level</keywords>
<recordname>encounter.id-00009</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Upper Level</name>
</id-00001>

KILLGORE
June 25th, 2018, 03:59
I added the author.ext to my extensions folder, started to make a few chapters to see how it works in the story tab. When I type /author in the chat to bring up the gui, it does nothing. I am not a pro at all of this but excuse me for asking, wth am i doing wrong?

celestian
June 25th, 2018, 04:04
I added the author.ext to my extensions folder, started to make a few chapters to see how it works in the story tab. When I type /author in the chat to bring up the gui, it does nothing. I am not a pro at all of this but excuse me for asking, wth am i doing wrong?

You select options you would like and then click the "author" button on the bottom after selecting everything.

It should then prompt for the path/filenames.

damned
June 25th, 2018, 04:07
You also need to enable the extension in that campaign from the Load Campaign screen...

KILLGORE
June 25th, 2018, 04:08
thats what i missed, thanks guys!

celestian
July 4th, 2018, 05:56
Update 2.0
Now works the same as export. It will just insert the ref-manual also. All in one glorious file like any other /export.

Thanks to Ikael for pointing me at Module.export which I'd never ran across (duh!).

madman
July 5th, 2018, 06:16
Was wanting to try this out!

Throwing error -- Script Error: [string "utility/scripts/export_author.lua"]:127: attempt to call field 'getExportListClass' (a nil value)

3.3.5 CoreRPG layered ruleset (PFRPG)

Thoughts?

Madman..

Edit: tried 2.0 and 2.5 from git..

celestian
July 5th, 2018, 06:59
Was wanting to try this out!

Throwing error -- Script Error: [string "utility/scripts/export_author.lua"]:127: attempt to call field 'getExportListClass' (a nil value)

3.3.5 CoreRPG layered ruleset (PFRPG)

Thoughts?

Madman..

Edit: tried 2.0 and 2.5 from git..

Apologies, I should say the latest version runs on 3.3.6 only. I was developing the update and didn't realize the getExportListClass() function was part of 3.3.6 ;(

I'll update the top page with a warning about the version requirement.

madman
July 5th, 2018, 13:24
Thats cool, Thanks for all that you do around here!!!!!!!!!!!

Madman..

ZeFerby
July 7th, 2018, 20:06
Hi all !
Just had a chat with celestian about this great extension.

Summary of findings (as of v2.5), for those like me who didn't get it right already :

When you create "Main Chapters" by using Story categories/groups, there is always a first Sub-Chapter created from the first strory entry in the group/category (and you can add more sub-chapters with the <sub> on other story entries as already described)

So for example when creating an adventure module you can either :
* group all the story entries in a single FG story category/group and then use <sub> on your "story chapters", (but the <sub> will remain visible in the corresponding story titles)
or :
* create an FG story category/group for each of your story chapters", without using <sub> (but then each chapter in the ref.manual will be both a Chapter+Sub-Chapter in itself)

celestian
July 10th, 2018, 07:42
Update 2.7

Version checking and reporting to debug console.
Added "toggle select all" (press "A" above entries).

https://i.imgur.com/8YuzNov.png

This is for Rob.

celestian
July 17th, 2018, 03:49
Update 2.75.

So today while walking I came up with a rather obvious solution to deal with sub-chapters. This method allows you to not have the <sub> hanging about in the story on export (in Story entries, not in ref-manual).

https://i.imgur.com/rHYs7wi.png

The only issue I have is unless you load the story entry you can't tell it's a sub-chapter. Not sure if that's a big concern or not I guess. To change that I'd have to do a bit more jiggery pokery in CoreRPG handling of listing story entries and I'd rather not do that. Right now Author is rather a simple extension. Doing that would change that a bit ;)

Either the checkbox or <sub> will work.

rob2e
July 17th, 2018, 11:09
Just keeps getting better and better...

DOWNLOADED!

Myrdin Potter
July 18th, 2018, 16:02
I am eagerly awaiting the new FG version to unleash Ref Manual goodness on my modules. I don't run test version as I cannot spend time troubleshooting.

:-)

celestian
July 18th, 2018, 16:06
I am eagerly awaiting the new FG version to unleash Ref Manual goodness on my modules. I don't run test version as I cannot spend time troubleshooting.

:-)

I certainly could understand that!

You could just enable test, /export then revert back to release rev. It doesn't require you to keep it running to use the .mod.

Hopefully they'll sort out the 3.3.6 rev soon though. I'm ready! Well, mostly.

Trenloe
July 18th, 2018, 16:10
You could just enable test, /export then revert back to release rev.
For people how have a lot of products, and don't have a super fast download link, sometimes just enable test can take quite a while!

celestian
July 18th, 2018, 16:12
For people how have a lot of products, and don't have a super fast download link, sometimes just enable test can take quite a while!

Didn't even think about that but good point. My DL is pretty good so it's just a 10 - 20 seconds or so to swap for me.

Trenloe
July 18th, 2018, 16:18
Didn't even think about that but good point. My DL is pretty good so it's just a 10 - 20 seconds or so to swap for me.
Even when I'm at home with a great download speed, it takes a number of minutes to switch for me. Of course, this can all depend on how many products have been updated into test - which increases as the release date gets closer. I must have bought *too many* FG products over the years. Is there such a thing as too many?!? ;-)

Moon Wizard
July 18th, 2018, 17:48
I'm on a fast connection, and it takes me 5-30 minutes to swap between versions, depending on how much has updated. Of course, I'm updating the entire store catalog...

JPG

superteddy57
July 18th, 2018, 18:48
Unrelated, but love the theme!

madman
July 19th, 2018, 00:20
"AMAZING" Thanks Again

To only have to add the images to a Reference Manual saves so much time.

Many thanks,
Madman..

celestian
July 19th, 2018, 02:36
"AMAZING" Thanks Again

To only have to add the images to a Reference Manual saves so much time.

Many thanks,
Madman..

I'm trying to get SOMETHING working on that front. Right now I can get images you linked in the story in the ref-manual I just need to figure out a way to get the size of the image so I can set that properly in the ref-manual. Here is kinda what I've got going right now on my test.

https://i.imgur.com/IeGkhAc.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/IeGkhAc.gifv

The first link is to a story entry with a monster summoning table. You can see the images linked individually loaded as images instead and the ones I stacked did not (that's intentional right now).

The only thing holding me back right now is the getImageSize() situation and I'm working on that. Once I can resolve that I can set the proper image size (not the static 500x500 images you see here) and it'll be mo-betta.

Bidmaron
July 19th, 2018, 03:27
You kind of lost me, Celestian, but I love your friggin' extension.

celestian
July 19th, 2018, 03:34
You kind of lost me, Celestian, but I love your friggin' extension.

So, any place you drag/drop an image link into your story, will be replaced with the actual image in the ref-document. So instead of seeing the (0) Image Name link to click it will show a 500x500 inline image that you can also click on and get the fullsize version.

Bidmaron
July 19th, 2018, 04:33
Oh that is cool!

kalmarjan
July 19th, 2018, 06:20
This is a great idea! Now I have to figure out how to use it! I haven't been around for a while, and I'm far behind on all that is FG. Time to do some catching up!

celestian
July 19th, 2018, 19:50
Update 3.0

Added Inline image support. Any SINGLE image link will be inserted into the reference manual. Author will determine the size of the original image and if it's bigger than 500x500 it will scale it down (and append a (SizexSize) to the image caption). If you click on the image it will load the image in a new window.
Subchapter highlighting in story list. Sets the color of the story entry that is checked as a sub-chapter to light purple.

https://i.imgur.com/73xncCu.jpg

madman
July 20th, 2018, 23:00
Question?

Does the image link need to be unaltered from a drop? i.e. nothing added or altered to the link text?

I add Image: (to image links)

and it does not seem to work.

I did some without changing, they seem to work great.

Madman..

celestian
July 20th, 2018, 23:10
Question?

Does the image link need to be unaltered from a drop? i.e. nothing added or altered to the link text?

I add Image: (to image links)

and it does not seem to work.

I did some without changing, they seem to work great.

Madman..

Hum, the regular expression I use to match the field should be ok with punctuation there. Infact as long as you don't use < it should work.

I'll play around tonight with it and see if I can figure out what's causing that for you. if you can send me the story record with a non-working one to be sure that'd help as well incase I can't replicate.

Edit: Just tested and not seeing the same thing here.

https://i.imgur.com/x4dsumS.png

Worked for me.

If you can send me the story entry I'll try and see whats up.

madman
July 21st, 2018, 00:05
I guess it was the bold tags then! as re-dropping the links seems to have fixed it.

Madman..

celestian
July 21st, 2018, 02:37
I guess it was the bold tags then! as re-dropping the links seems to have fixed it.

Madman..

Ah! yes that would do it... the <b> </b>.

local nStart, nEnd = string.find(sNoteText,'<linklist>[^<]+<link class="imagewindow" recordname="[%w%-%p]+">[^<]+</link>[^<]+</linklist>',1);

That's the code that matches for the image link. I've tried tweaking the bit I highlighted above to [%w%p%s]+ but it doesn't match properly when I do... tho it should.

I did find out that I was using the image.id-XXXXX name instead of the Story text listed so I have tweaked that (caption) for the next rev. I'll experiment with some matching methods and see if I can figure out a way so you can keep using bold. Right now tho it will not match it as image and leave it as a simple link.

Valyar
July 31st, 2018, 21:01
Now with 3.3.6 out, I guess we can freely use this extension?

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2018, 21:06
Now with 3.3.6 out, I guess we can freely use this extension?

It was useable before v3.3.6; Celestian is just pointing out that it also works in 3.3.6 in the first post.

Valyar
July 31st, 2018, 21:17
The way the first sentence in the first post is structured I understand as explicitly working on 3.3.6 :) But it is fine now, can’t wait to move half of a module to reference manual!

celestian
July 31st, 2018, 22:46
The way the first sentence in the first post is structured I understand as explicitly working on 3.3.6 :) But it is fine now, can’t wait to move half of a module to reference manual!

You are correct, the CURRENT version works with 3.3.6 only and that was why I pointed it out. Mainly the issue was a function that didn't exist pre-3.3.6 that allowed me to do some of the options to get it integrated into /export.

Yes, should work for ya if you run 3.3.6 ;)

Valyar
August 4th, 2018, 08:44
This extension is fantastic! I did few test runs and looks so promising!

There is small problem with the extension when it is used in rulesets with dark backgrounds - the font color is overwritten to be black. Image attached. I have hard time working efficiently :D Image attached.

PS: I am super annoyed that FG does not keep formatting when copy-pasting from one item to another... Should not be that hard!

celestian
August 4th, 2018, 19:18
This extension is fantastic! I did few test runs and looks so promising!

There is small problem with the extension when it is used in rulesets with dark backgrounds - the font color is overwritten to be black. Image attached. I have hard time working efficiently :D Image attached.

PS: I am super annoyed that FG does not keep formatting when copy-pasting from one item to another... Should not be that hard!

That's because I highlight the "sub-chapter" stories and have to have a default color to use when it's NOT a highlight.

Far as I know there is no "getColor()" for stringcontrols so that I can get the current value and then save it as the default.

re: PS: agreed ;(

Valyar
August 4th, 2018, 19:21
What I have to modify to use brighter colors for the 40k ruleset, which is using dark backgrounds?

For example yellow or something. I don't need to be pretty in the development campaign, but to be visible :)

celestian
August 4th, 2018, 19:26
What I have to modify to use brighter colors for the 40k ruleset, which is using dark backgrounds?

For example yellow or something. I don't need to be pretty in the development campaign, but to be visible :)

I'm heading out for a few hours but when I get back I'll look at it tho it'll have to be after I get the latest AD&D Core posted.

Valyar
August 4th, 2018, 19:28
No sweat, I will work on reference manual for Conan 2d20 then :)

celestian
August 5th, 2018, 00:28
I'm heading out for a few hours but when I get back I'll look at it tho it'll have to be after I get the latest AD&D Core posted.

Moon replied to my question about the getColor and indeed there is no such thing so I won't be able to change that. My suggestion for now is when creating your content, use a non-dark theme so "black" text won't be so hard to see. Fortunately there should be no need to use Author in a game setting (only for prep).

Not saying this issue is dead as there might be another option but right now I'm not going to be able to "fix" the color change.

damned
August 5th, 2018, 01:52

This has been explained many times before.
FG has limited support for formatting and for extended characters.
It strips formatting out to ensure you have clean data.
It doesnt look at the source of the data.
There is a wishlist entry for it - vote on it and it will hopefully get to the top of someones priority list in the near future.
At the moment - whilst it is desirable it hasnt been deemed a higher priority than other things that the devs are working on.

Valyar
August 5th, 2018, 06:28
Moon replied to my question about the getColor and indeed there is no such thing so I won't be able to change that. My suggestion for now is when creating your content, use a non-dark theme so "black" text won't be so hard to see. Fortunately there should be no need to use Author in a game setting (only for prep).

Not saying this issue is dead as there might be another option but right now I'm not going to be able to "fix" the color change.
There is no way to use non-dark theme, the 40k ruleset has fixed one. The content I have can't be moved to different ruleset either, it is locked to the data model. Modifying the theme will be endeavor that might not be needed if there is a way to hard-code font color in your extension (i.e. making it custom for my case only). ;)

So can the colors be hardcoded, instead of trying to get the colors programmatically and doing on-the-spot modification? Sometimes the quick and dirty is enough and that's all I look for.

This has been explained many times before.
FG has limited support for formatting and for extended characters.
I know the font issue with FG, what I expressed is just a rant. I voted for this feature long ago :)

celestian
August 5th, 2018, 07:24
There is no way to use non-dark theme, the 40k ruleset has fixed one. The content I have can't be moved to different ruleset either, it is locked to the data model. Modifying the theme will be endeavor that might not be needed if there is a way to hard-code font color in your extension (i.e. making it custom for my case only). ;)

So can the colors be hardcoded, instead of trying to get the colors programmatically and doing on-the-spot modification? Sometimes the quick and dirty is enough and that's all I look for.

If you are familiar with lua I can tell you were to make the changes... Tho I could probably add a option I suppose but trying to try not add those cause Moon said those were "bad" ;)

Valyar
August 5th, 2018, 07:29
Yes, I am fine doing the code change, just tell me where to hack. I confess I am guilty of not yet checking the code, so apologies for that :)

I presume I have to revert the change that leads to the "update 3.0: added Inline image support, subchapter highlighting in story list.". I don't have the previous version to DIFF, but will find it sooner or later :D

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2018, 08:01
It’s not that options are bad; they just introduce code and UI complexity, so should be planned.

An extension can query what ruleset its opened in to behave differently. Dulux-Oz does this quite a bit in his DOE extensions.

Regards,
JPG

celestian
August 5th, 2018, 09:03
It’s not that options are bad; they just introduce code and UI complexity, so should be planned.

An extension can query what ruleset its opened in to behave differently. Dulux-Oz does this quite a bit in his DOE extensions.

Regards,
JPG

Sorry, that was of a joke tho probably not well thought out I guess.

Valyar try this for now. Look in settings with this one.

I'll look at capturing the ruleset tag like Moon suggested and setting it based on that. Will be easier and less for someone to deal with but I don't own your ruleset and not sure what it's tags are at the moment. It's also 3:30am here and I need to go to bed ;)

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2018, 18:58
I have to be the straight guy on the forums. ;)

Thanks,
JPG

Valyar
August 5th, 2018, 20:31
Valyar try this for now. Look in settings with this one.
THIS IS FANTASTIC, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! (caps intended, I am ecstatic).

Quick question, after I did some testing and compared my work with the D&D 5e Reference manual:
Is there a way to avoid having article with the same name as the sub-chapter? In 5e somehow it is done. I don't want to have duplicates (the highlighted items) as in the attached picture. Can't think of workaround at the moment, had long flights and mind is broken.

celestian
August 5th, 2018, 21:53
THIS IS FANTASTIC, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! (caps intended, I am ecstatic).

Quick question, after I did some testing and compared my work with the D&D 5e Reference manual:
Is there a way to avoid having article with the same name as the sub-chapter? In 5e somehow it is done. I don't want to have duplicates (the highlighted items) as in the attached picture. Can't think of workaround at the moment, had long flights and mind is broken.

I never had an empty chapter, but try this version out. If it works as you needed (local testing it seemed ok) I'll put it up as a new release.

Download:

Valyar
August 6th, 2018, 15:14
It is perfect now! (a tear is shed)

What governs the font color of the sections?

celestian
August 6th, 2018, 15:18
It is perfect now! (a tear is shed)

What governs the font color of the sections?

In ref-manuals? Your theme. Author doesn't set that.

Valyar
August 6th, 2018, 15:19
Got it! I will check with Paul if we can do something about it. :)

celestian
August 6th, 2018, 15:25
Update 3.3:

Added: campaign setting for text color settings (for use with dark themes so you can see).

Updated: sub-chapters that are empty story entries will now only create a sub-chapter entry w/o the story.

mlesnews
August 18th, 2018, 23:47
Thank you celestian (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?54726-celestian), superb job good sir!

Booker Grimm
September 9th, 2018, 07:43
I've exported after setting my chapters using /author and can see the named mod file in my modules folder (along with my other mods), but when I come to load the mod the file is not there.
The chat responds that it has exported successfully.

What am I missing?

Using 5e ruleset.

Thanks.

Valyar
September 9th, 2018, 07:46
Did you reload FG after you exported the module?

celestian
September 9th, 2018, 07:48
I've exported after setting my chapters using /author and can see the named mod file in my modules folder (along with my other mods), but when I come to load the mod the file is not there.
The chat responds that it has exported successfully.

What am I missing?

Using 5e ruleset.

Thanks.

The first time you export (where the module doesn't exist) requires a restart of FG. Once the module exists you can just unload/reload the module to see the changes.

IF that doesn't work if you'll PM me the file (dropbox) or if you're ok posting here I'll take a look at the file and see what is the problem.

Rook
September 16th, 2018, 18:03
Trying my hand at using your extension.

After /author and then restarting and loading my module - the Ref manual is empty.

using 3.3.6

any suggestions?

Valyar
September 16th, 2018, 18:15
You need to put the story articles in a group.

celestian
September 16th, 2018, 18:27
You need to put the story articles in a group.

Valyar is correct. You need to create groups and put the stories in those. The groups are the chapters used for the ref-manual. If there are no groups then there are no chapters thus empty ref-manual.

celestian
September 30th, 2018, 00:05
Valyar sent me a PM reporting an issue he was having with Author exporting. When he exported he noticed that the .mod file contained multiple versions of the same images.

After some back and forth I realized what was happening. It seems every time you place a image link into a story in a method that displays it inline in the reference manual it "adds" the image again to the export.

I can't figure out how/why it's doing this and wondering if it's some part of how FG handles references that is outside of the scope of the extension. I'll try and debug again when I get more time but just as an FYI.

The_Andinator
October 10th, 2018, 03:49
Valyar is correct. You need to create groups and put the stories in those. The groups are the chapters used for the ref-manual. If there are no groups then there are no chapters thus empty ref-manual.

So each chapter needs its own group in the story window? So I'd create a group called "Chapter 1 - Setting", then another group called "Chapter 2 - Races", etc.?
And Author will sort the groups into chapters when it generates the ref-manual?
I just downloaded this extension and haven't even done an export yet.

celestian
October 10th, 2018, 20:08
So each chapter needs its own group in the story window? So I'd create a group called "Chapter 1 - Setting", then another group called "Chapter 2 - Races", etc.?
And Author will sort the groups into chapters when it generates the ref-manual?
I just downloaded this extension and haven't even done an export yet.

I would name them "01.Chapter 1 - Setting" and "02.Chapter 2 - Races".... etc That ensures the ordering is as you expect. The XX.Chapter (XX) will be removed within the ref-manual.

The_Andinator
October 10th, 2018, 21:49
I would name them "01.Chapter 1 - Setting" and "02.Chapter 2 - Races".... etc That ensures the ordering is as you expect. The XX.Chapter (XX) will be removed within the ref-manual.

OK! Thanks!

The_Andinator
October 11th, 2018, 19:09
So I did a test export. It turned out pretty much the way I wanted it to with one notable exception: the images didn't expand the way it's shown in the example you give.

The links to images in my story entry were exported as links, not images. The images I used were .png files that I made using "Snipping Tool" from the Windows accessories apps, so I'm pretty sure that the copy restrictions were not in play.

Any help would be appreciated!

celestian
October 11th, 2018, 23:12
So I did a test export. It turned out pretty much the way I wanted it to with one notable exception: the images didn't expand the way it's shown in the example you give.

The links to images in my story entry were exported as links, not images. The images I used were .png files that I made using "Snipping Tool" from the Windows accessories apps, so I'm pretty sure that the copy restrictions were not in play.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you want an image to appear inline you can only have one image. Not a list of them. A list of multiple images will just be the links. So if you want multiple images inline you must have a image link, blank line, image link, blank line/etc. You can't stack the links (I did that on purpose as some folks might just want a list of images).

The_Andinator
October 11th, 2018, 23:17
If you want an image to appear inline you can only have one image. Not a list of them. A list of multiple images will just be the links. So if you want multiple images inline you must have a image link, blank line, image link, blank line/etc. You can't stack the links (I did that on purpose as some folks might just want a list of images).

It was only one image and there was no formatting applied to the text of the link.

celestian
October 11th, 2018, 23:22
It was only one image and there was no formatting applied to the text of the link.

If that's the case you'll have to attach the db.xml from the campaign and I'll try and sort out what's going on.

The_Andinator
October 11th, 2018, 23:25
If that's the case you'll have to attach the db.xml from the campaign and I'll try and sort out what's going on.

I have no idea what that means.
I took a couple of classes in "AppleSoft" in high school (1984) and that's the extent of my programming knowledge.
Am I in way over my head?

The_Andinator
October 12th, 2018, 00:00
I just tried another test export and the images appeared where I expected them to. Before I exported, I went through and made sure there was no text formatting at all. It occurred to me that maybe there was BOLD formatting applied to some spaces.

celestian
October 12th, 2018, 00:10
I just tried another test export and the images appeared where I expected them to. Before I exported, I went through and made sure there was no text formatting at all. It occurred to me that maybe there was BOLD formatting applied to some spaces.

Correct, any formatting in the image links will cause problems. I'll see about doing something with that in the future but right now that's how it is ;(

celestian
October 27th, 2018, 18:58
Update 3.4:

This update improves the keyword fields exported into ref-manuals. This makes searches work better. It removes words like "the, or, and, an, it, is" and punctuation/etc. Previously the keyword field was populated by using the story entry's entire name.

Valyar
October 27th, 2018, 19:46
Great, thanks! :)

Any clue on the file duplication occurrence?

celestian
October 27th, 2018, 19:50
Great, thanks! :)

Any clue on the file duplication occurrence?

Won't be fixed until the next FG patch. Moon mentioned it's on his todo list.

celestian
October 28th, 2018, 19:50
Update 3.4:

This update improves the keyword fields exported into ref-manuals. This makes searches work better. It removes words like "the, or, and, an, it, is" and punctuation/etc. Previously the keyword field was populated by using the story entry's entire name.

Update (bugfix):

So, slight bug. I was using a function I have within AD&D Core that I did not have in the extension. I've added the function to the extension in 3.5 version that is now up.

Apologies and thanks to @rob2e for reporting.

KILLGORE
October 29th, 2018, 21:01
I wanted to ask for us really really NEW people here...Can you write the instructions step by step on how to use this?

celestian
October 29th, 2018, 21:04
I wanted to ask for us really really NEW people here...Can you write the instructions step by step on how to use this?

The first post did that mostly I thought. Did you run into a problem?

Myrdin Potter
October 29th, 2018, 21:15

Are you so new that you don’t know how to export a module without this extension? Because, as mentioned, the first post covers it pretty clearly, especially if you know how a regular module export happens.

I used it for the first time last weekend but I know the export function well and it was intuitive to use otherwise.

Essentially, grab the file, save in your extension folder, add the extension to your project in the load screen and then export and choose ref manual in the list. You need at least one group and there is a tick box to indicate chapter heads.

KILLGORE
October 30th, 2018, 02:38
Yeah I have no idea.... Its cool ill just do something else thanks for the help.

Myrdin Potter
October 30th, 2018, 03:24
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

Look at the last video in the list in the first post. It explains how to export into a module.

KILLGORE
October 31st, 2018, 17:49
It's not actually what I was looking for. I wanted to do the opposite, by creating story entries from a PDF. Sorry to bother the thread, its not what I was looking to do.

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2018, 17:51
You can extract the text and cut and paste. That is the usual way.

ShadeRaven
November 18th, 2018, 18:02
I just want to say, celestian, that this extension is an absolute home run and a beautiful thing to use once I got used to it! Well done!

PS: If I just export the Reference Manual without the story entries, will it create a clean reference book without all the extra clutter or are those two things tied together?

Valyar
November 18th, 2018, 18:08
If you don't export the Story section along with the Reference Manual in the /export options, no story entries will be created. If you export them at the same time, what you have in the working library will be also in the module. If you have empty pages that are used for the Ref.Man's structure, you will have to manually clean them up in the xml database after the export.

celestian
November 18th, 2018, 22:56
I just want to say, celestian, that this extension is an absolute home run and a beautiful thing to use once I got used to it! Well done!

PS: If I just export the Reference Manual without the story entries, will it create a clean reference book without all the extra clutter or are those two things tied together?

You should be able to export w/o stories. If the Story entries do not have any links to other stories then it should be ok. If you need to have a link to another Story entry within a Story you need to export the Story entries.

Hopefully that's clear as mud ;')

celestian
December 4th, 2018, 20:39
I've put together a short 5 minute(ish) video on how to use Author.

https://youtu.be/x5J00YBZ8Cc

Hopefully that gives a bit more insight on what it does and how to use it for those folks needing it.

damned
December 4th, 2018, 21:16
Excellent - thanks celestian!

Myrdin Potter
December 8th, 2018, 22:32
I find it funny that in the table input thread (I use that extension like crazy), I asked for a reference manual extension. I am now using this excellent extension all the time.

celestian
December 18th, 2018, 22:37
update 3.7:
* FG 3.3.7 updates (removed click A to select/deselect all).
* FG 3.3.7 update also corrected API issue of exporting duplicate image files.
* More fine tuning of keyword fields for searching.

celestian
January 9th, 2019, 01:25
Update 3.8:

Added support for indent.

To use indent you need to add space in the name of the Story matching how many indention you want.

A normal entry looks like this "03.23 Fighter Abilities".

There is a single space between the leading numbers and "Fighter Abilities". That will NOT generate any indention.

"03.24 Ranger"

Note the 2 spaces between 03.24 and "Ranger". For each additional space more than 1 an additional indention will be added.

Here is a example of how it looks when used.

https://i.imgur.com/5FUopOA.png

Valyar
January 26th, 2019, 20:50
After I re-worked some old Reference Manuals and used Author to export the content, I have the following suggestion to further improve this excellent and time-saving extension (because nobody likes to directly edit XML, JSON or YAML files!!!):

Make the indentation in story article's title to be taken into account in the reference manual if this is explicitly stated. There can be second checkbox next to the one for Chapter to enable this feature.

Why I think this can be of great help - When I make module I add indentation in the stories' titles so everything is nicely arranged when you open the Story library. The hierarchical structure is not always needed to be the same in the reference manual, where we have chapters and sub-chapters. Therefore the indentation should be optional when exporting to reference manual if possible. This will give even more design options to content creators and won't require extra time to modify the XML file to adjust this or that.

celestian
January 27th, 2019, 22:36
When I make module I add indentation in the stories' titles so everything is nicely arranged when you open the Story library.

How does that look right now after being exported? I'm not talking about the reference manual side but Stories. I'm not really sure I understand.

Valyar
February 3rd, 2019, 10:23
Everything is OK with the current extension. I am not reporting bugs... I merely state that it might be good idea for more flexibility of the authors to make the indenting articles in the exported RefMan optional.

This way I can have the Story articles nicely arranged with indenting and the reference manual without this, because it has Chapter/Sub-Chapter as layout tools.

For example: Add second check-box that takes into account the spaces in the title of the story entries and makes it the same in the RefManual. If box is not checked, the export in RefMan is as before - no indentation.

celestian
February 5th, 2019, 06:12
So, had sometime to work on tweaking Author a bit and I was able to include "frames" for text blocks. It wasn't actually that hard but I was also trying to put a frame around images which apparently can't be done. DOH!

Here is a sample. I'm still pondering how to handle how the frame type is set... this is one from CoreRPG so should work with everything.

https://i.imgur.com/Rni3xcF.png

dmbrown
February 6th, 2019, 01:06
I’ll put in a vote for having it so the chapters can be different then the first entry in the reference manual as they are in the official D&D modules. So for example in your image above you could label Index something other than index.

celestian
February 6th, 2019, 03:49
I’ll put in a vote for having it so the chapters can be different then the first entry in the reference manual as they are in the official D&D modules. So for example in your image above you could label Index something other than index.
Just don’t name the category the same thing as the story entry. You can also do similar with subchapters by making it empty and it will just have the subchapter heading and then whatever the next story is.

Bidmaron
February 6th, 2019, 04:53
Celestian, I thank you whole-heartedly for your outstanding work on this critical tool.

dmbrown
February 6th, 2019, 18:27
Thanks Celestian, I’ll see if that works for me and I concur with Bidmaron.

celestian
February 8th, 2019, 05:48
So here is the progress so far with adding frames.

Standard type page with a image. The text is enclosed in a pretty frame (text4 I think).

https://i.imgur.com/EUhfWzw.png

Here is a Header, Image then Text block.
https://i.imgur.com/ZkxF192.png

This is what I've got so far for the selection/configuration per story entry.
https://i.imgur.com/nQnj19L.png

I need to put a configuration somewhere to set the "default" you want to use cause im sure someone won't like text3 which is what I've set for the default if no frame is defined for that page. The default option should allow a noframe option as well incase someone (shocker) wants to not have frames as their default. I'm looking at placing it on the export window but really don't want to clutter it up but I don't think I have a choice. We'll see where it ends up.

dmbrown
February 8th, 2019, 14:30
Could you put it in the option settings? I’ve seen other extension do that.

madman
February 8th, 2019, 17:51
I would love to have the option to not have a frame on every page. the button with all the text frame options, along with a none as the default ?

my 2 cents
Madman..

celestian
February 8th, 2019, 18:43
I would love to have the option to not have a frame on every page. the button with all the text frame options, along with a none as the default ?

This is part of the idea behind the "global" default. Have a "none" frame option also. Then you can use that as the global default or optionally just set that one page you don't want to have a frame to use the frame "none".

So you should be able to do what you're wanting. I am trying to avoid messing with the export window to add the global default but I think that's the best place to do it. I'll tinker with it over the weekend and see what I come up with.

Satan
February 8th, 2019, 22:29
Celestian, would it be possible to put the global frame selector besides the existing frame selector?

celestian
February 8th, 2019, 22:40
Celestian, would it be possible to put the global frame selector besides the existing frame selector?

No, that would mean you'd have the global option replicated across all story entries. You only want it in one place. Here is what I'm looking at. When you export you'll have the global frame option here. It fit better than I expected and wasn't that difficult.

https://i.imgur.com/13I8VrY.png

celestian
February 10th, 2019, 19:33
Update 4.0

Added support for Frames. Set per Story entry and globally on the export window for those Story entries w/o a frame set.

If you do not want frames set to "none".

https://i.imgur.com/QsJdvnO.png
https://i.imgur.com/ONUZsZF.png
https://i.imgur.com/MNOfTzt.png

celestian
February 18th, 2019, 07:02
Update 4.1:
Added /[un]lockrecords [name|all] and it will do it for you. i.e. /lockrecords npc

This is mostly for me but someone else might find it useful. If you want to lock all the image/story/encounter/etc records you can use this command. /lockrecords all will lock all the standards. If you find one missing you can just type it's name by itself and it will get that one.

If you're unsure what I'm talking about, it "clicks" the lock on the records in question like this:

https://i.imgur.com/EK91ZAq.png

Drogo210
February 19th, 2019, 19:05
Not working :(. I can export as Story but not as Reference Manual

celestian
February 19th, 2019, 19:10
Not working :(. I can export as Story but not as Reference Manual

I'm guessing you have no categories/groups and no stories within said Categories/Groups.

Each category in your Story records will be set as a chapter. Each Story entry that has the checkbox ticked will be the start of a sub-chapter.

If there are no chapters there is no ref-manual.

Drogo210
February 19th, 2019, 19:11
I am an idiot, you are right I need to set the group :)

StoryWeaver
February 20th, 2019, 02:46
Just wanted to drop by and say a big thank you for creating this extension, it's fantastic!

Enabling me to create reference manual books to older modules that might be missing them.
Simple as making copies of all the story entries in FG, then open the database db.xml after closing FG, manually removing all the " copy" strings with a text editor, then opening FG up again and exporting into a module.

Et voila! A working reference manual module, making reading and running modules so much better!

celestian
February 23rd, 2019, 03:17
Update 4.4:

Added /addtokens that will add Letter tokens to any NPC w/o a token.

celestian
February 23rd, 2019, 03:28
Update 4.1:
Added /[un]lockrecords [name|all] and it will do it for you. i.e. /lockrecords npc

This is mostly for me but someone else might find it useful. If you want to lock all the image/story/encounter/etc records you can use this command. /lockrecords all will lock all the standards. If you find one missing you can just type it's name by itself and it will get that one.

Incase anyone was wondering what records I'm talking about. "all" is these:

"background",
"class",
"encounter",
"image",
"item",
"notes",
"npc",
"race",
"skill",
"spell",
"tables",
"treasureparcels"

If something isn't listed you can use it's name instead of "all".

Valyar
February 23rd, 2019, 07:59
The features to add token and lock records are great addition!

celestian
February 23rd, 2019, 08:22
The features to add token and lock records are great addition!

Started working on some of my own content and realized it was a tedious process that really didn't need to be there ;)

I did notice I missed a few of the standard records (battle, battlerandom and quests... maybe some others) that I'll add to the next rev.

Valyar
February 23rd, 2019, 08:25
Totally agree with you on how "fun" this lock/unlock is when doing by hand. I even asked for a hot-key to do it, at least to spare my finger from the click-fest. :D

Valyar
March 1st, 2019, 18:30
There is bug in the latest version - when I lock/unlock the chat reports Story entries as "encounter".

celestian
March 1st, 2019, 18:47
There is bug in the latest version - when I lock/unlock the chat reports Story entries as "encounter".

That's not a bug, that's actually what they are called in the db.xml files. My guess is at some point they decided to change the name.

I guess I could use the LibraryData and pull the "friendly" names out instead of the name that it actually uses. It'll be a while before I can, packing up fly out for a week for my day job.

Valyar
March 1st, 2019, 18:47
No need to bother if this is not a bug, but a feature. You are right, it is encounter, I remember it from the last now I was cleaning up the RefMan manually. :)

benjihad
March 2nd, 2019, 09:37
Awesome, another fantastic piece of work by celestian! I've been waiting a few years for something like this to come along. Hopefully it will eventually be absorbed into the main engine's functionality for all rulesets.

On another note, to get to understand how it works and to get a feel for how the frames look on the reference entries, I created this small module that might be of use to others. Thanks again, celestian!

Frame Examples module

Valyar
March 2nd, 2019, 12:17
Wow, nice timing, I was about to create something like that and just saw the email with your post...

PS: You should edit the .xml file to ANY as ruleset, otherwise can't be loaded in anything except the AD&D

Varsuuk
March 7th, 2019, 20:09
argh... was mistype of a rep add on damn ipad. tried to correct it and fat thumbed so was. idtyping nice things about the person and it ended with fuvhrrhfrh random trash ;) can’t do anything on e accidentally clicked. oops.

celestian
March 10th, 2019, 18:45
Update 4.6:

Update: fixed display issues with other records that shared "Story" windowclass (story templates, notes/etc),
Update: leading _'s in Story names will now also indent and are replaced in reference manual),
Update: more records added to "all" for lock/unlock processing,
Added: show "display" name and actual name when processing records with lock/unlock.

Valyar
March 11th, 2019, 10:36
Update 4.6:

Update: leading _'s in Story names will now also indent and are replaced in reference manual),

Ah man, you are saving me! I was struggling with the bug I reported here on the spaces in the Story names:https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48188-Extra-blank-spaces-in-Story-entries-names-are-removed-after-save-load-of-campaign

Does each underscore equal to one indent or it is single indent?
Do I put the underscore before the Name (like 00.01 _Story)?

celestian
March 11th, 2019, 19:23
Ah man, you are saving me! I was struggling with the bug I reported here on the spaces in the Story names:https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48188-Extra-blank-spaces-in-Story-entries-names-are-removed-after-save-load-of-campaign

Does each underscore equal to one indent or it is single indent?
Do I put the underscore before the Name (like 00.01 _Story)?

Your example is correct.

Place the _ infront of the Story "Name".
Each _ counts as an indent space.

Since FG was "eating" spaces in the Story entries this is where I went. The underscores are stripped from the display in ref-manual.

Valyar
March 11th, 2019, 21:22
Let's hope they fix this bug soon :)

celestian
March 11th, 2019, 21:30
Let's hope they fix this bug soon :)

I wouldn't expect it to be. It seems to be a feature in CoreRPG w/o anything added. I would test that by add spaces to Story names and then save and close FG. When I restarted FG with that campaign all the spaces in the Story name were removed.

I wasn't wanting to have to alter the CoreRPG code in that way so went with _'s instead for indention in ref-manuals.

Valyar
March 11th, 2019, 21:34
It is not a bug, it is a feature :)
I think, if this was intended as feature, it was implemented way before we had reference manuals and your extension that is doing such kind of parsing. Now it bug. Also I would consider it as a bug in all cases, because there shouldn't be something that modify the user made context without upfront notification. For example I wanted to use indentation for purely visual help in the Story articles in exported module. With that - it is not possible.

Time will tell. Until thank - thank you for the workaround provided. :)

ssides
April 1st, 2019, 11:51
Since XML shares a lot of characteristics with HTML, this is behavior I would expect. When you load a web page in your browser, the rendering engine ignores extra white space. This is why we have tags like <br />, for example, because you can't just hit enter when creating the page and expect to have an extra linefeed. So it's not really a bug or a feature. It's just the way it works.

Walkin

hawkwind
May 2nd, 2019, 17:52
I was just going a large reference module and only half my images imported in to the manual as images rather than clickable links. After reading this thread and looking at iti notice the images that weren't getting imported are the images that are placed after or before other encounter or parcel links, a blank line seems to sort the problem out

celestian
May 3rd, 2019, 03:46
I was just going a large reference module and only half my images imported in to the manual as images rather than clickable links. After reading this thread and looking at iti notice the images that weren't getting imported are the images that are placed after or before other encounter or parcel links, a blank line seems to sort the problem out

correct. it must be the only linked object on the line. I might tweak it in the future but right now the text matching is a pain otherwise.

hawkwind
May 3rd, 2019, 07:24
is this how you are not getting both the DM's and players version in the Reference manual in N1?

celestian
May 3rd, 2019, 14:08
is this how you are not getting both the DM's and players version in the Reference manual in N1?

not sure what you mean. toggle the player module and they will see it by default. w/o that flag on export they wont.

hawkwind
May 3rd, 2019, 14:57
i missed out a crucial word" DM's and player's maps" eg in the reference manual for N1 i think you can only see one set of maps as images presumably the DM's version

celestian
May 3rd, 2019, 15:23
i missed out a crucial word" DM's and player's maps" eg in the reference manual for N1 i think you can only see one set of maps as images presumably the DM's version

The names are there for the benefit of the DM so he knows the DM maps have secret, traps/etc. You still have to share the image with the players for them to be able to see it.

hawkwind
May 8th, 2019, 11:16
Im not making my self very clear i fear, any way I have used the images not appearing if there isn't a line bug as a feature in the module I'm building.

i have dms map link on one line, a line break then the Players map followed by lots of other links. This way in the reference manual you can see the image to only the DM's map and just a link to the players map

celestian
May 8th, 2019, 16:27
Im not making my self very clear i fear, any way I have used the images not appearing if there isn't a line bug as a feature in the module I'm building.

i have dms map link on one line, a line break then the Players map followed by lots of other links. This way in the reference manual you can see the image to only the DM's map and just a link to the players map

I'm not clear on the problem I guess. Can you start from the beginning again? Is the problem with reference manuals or exporting so DMs only see the module?

Ampersandrew
May 8th, 2019, 16:45
I'm not clear on the problem I guess. Can you start from the beginning again? Is the problem with reference manuals or exporting so DMs only see the module?

I'm not the OP but he seems concerned with image visibility in the exported module, not module visibility.

When he exports, he wants the GM's map to be an image and the Players map to be link. It's doing this at the moment and he's wondering if its a bug you're going to fix (which will break what he's currently doing).

I think, if I was following it.

hawkwind
May 11th, 2019, 17:42

I want to have a link to the gm map image an a link to the players map image in my story entry how ever I don't want the author extension to to show boht the players and the GM's map images in the Reference manual, like Ampersandrew said

celestian
May 11th, 2019, 20:08
I want to have a link to the gm map image an a link to the players map image in my story entry how ever I don't want the author extension to to show boht the players and the GM's map images in the Reference manual, like Ampersandrew said

The only way to not have inline image in a ref-manual of a linked image is to have multiple links stacked. Those links do not need to be images.

JohnD
May 11th, 2019, 20:20

So just put your two links in one line after the other instead of spacing them with an empty line before and after. That should give you what you're looking for.

damned
May 12th, 2019, 00:03

Its been coded to display the image if its an image and that image is the only entry in that list.
You will have to edit the XML if you want to do it another way.

madman
May 12th, 2019, 00:50
IIRC adding Bold to the image link breaks it also...
Madman

"Image: Fort Death"

celestian
May 12th, 2019, 07:27
IIRC adding Bold to the image link breaks it also...
Madman

"Image: Fort Death"

Yeap, I specifically mention that in the first post because of that. Any markup will cause problems in the name of the linked image. I might can work around it when I have more time to review the regular expression code but I'm kinda holding off for FGU to do much more work on that piece.

hawkwind
May 12th, 2019, 09:53
i'm happy to use the problem as a feature :)

madman
May 12th, 2019, 16:27
That is why I was saying it. Not as a gripe..

celestian
May 12th, 2019, 21:35
i'm happy to use the problem as a feature :)

The only other way to actually do it would be to add markup which I really want to try and avoid because it clutters up the story (and people would have to know how to use it).

I might end up having to add some special markup to do what I want but I'm hoping that can be avoided. We'll see.

MrZayOnline
May 23rd, 2019, 11:10
Hi, I would like to do a visual reference manual for my monster tokens. I effectively I would like to build the a visual tool like the Token Window with a clear Index like the reference manual has.

So far I see that if I add all my tokens to the image folder, I can then sort them into stories and group those stories by groups and that would get me a nice index. I can use this to then see the image name and pick it from the tokens.

Two questions:
1. Is there a way to directly link to the tokens in the reference manual and not have them on the image folder as well as the tokens folder?
2. Is there a way to have multiple images on one line?

Thanks.

celestian
May 23rd, 2019, 16:02
Two questions:
1. Is there a way to directly link to the tokens in the reference manual and not have them on the image folder as well as the tokens folder?
2. Is there a way to have multiple images on one line?

Thanks.

The only way to link to images and not have them show as inline, they have to be stacked. Those links do not have to be multiple images. It could be image link, then a monster entry or item or something else.

Image links are one per line using Author.

You can do what you want if you manually create the reference manual (edit the xml).

Beerbelly
May 30th, 2019, 01:25
I've been looking, but cannot find. Is there an easy way, or a hard way, to create a desktop decal when you make a mod?

celestian
May 30th, 2019, 01:31
I've been looking, but cannot find. Is there an easy way, or a hard way, to create a desktop decal when you make a mod?

Not with author. That's an extension.

TheSwartz
May 30th, 2019, 02:13

This thread got me going to figure out how to make an extension for adding decals: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35901-Changing-the-Decal&p=311564&viewfull=1#post311564

It's the "Custom Decal Tutorial" he's referring to. You kinda just have to get in it, mess around with it, and figure it out. You can do it!

Vis
June 1st, 2019, 20:01
Is there any way to add custom frames or make custom frames? Also, do you have a donation or 'tip jar'?

celestian
June 1st, 2019, 20:08
Is there any way to add custom frames or make custom frames? Also, do you have a donation or 'tip jar'?

Frames are generally specific to the ruleset. If they don't exist and you use them it will show as a no frame page. You could certainly add them in an extension but you'd presume that they will also have that loaded. So, you're really stuck with what the ruleset has if you want to be cautious.

No tip jar but if you'd like to please donate to a local pet shelter ;)

Vis
June 1st, 2019, 20:28
Frames are generally specific to the ruleset. If they don't exist and you use them it will show as a no frame page. You could certainly add them in an extension but you'd presume that they will also have that loaded. So, you're really stuck with what the ruleset has if you want to be cautious.

No tip jar but if you'd like to please donate to a local pet shelter ;)

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 18:34
Quick question,

I can export my module no problem and the reference document comes out fine. When I reload the module I have no Pin links to my encounters on the maps. There are no pins at all.
I selected export all from the /author menu.
Does your extension not copy the pin locations to the module?

Thanks.

Booker.

celestian
June 4th, 2019, 18:49
Quick question,

I can export my module no problem and the reference document comes out fine. When I reload the module I have no Pin links to my encounters on the maps. There are no pins at all.
I selected export all from the /author menu.
Does your extension not copy the pin locations to the module?

Thanks.

Booker.

It does. Infact it exports all the normal features FG runs on export, it just adds the reference manuals.

You'll need to give me a bit more detail on this. Is the map part of the exported module and the pins(encounter/story entries) are also in that module?

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 19:20
Yeah. I have a map with pins to my encounters. The encounters and reference doc and all else export fine. The only difference is that on loading the exported module into a new campaign the pins are then missing from the map, although the encounters are there. Just the pin links to them are gone.

I am using 5e combat extension and Core Token Helper.

Thanks for the response.

Booker

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 19:26
I think the extensions might be the problem. When I load the original module without extensions the pins are missing there too.

5e combat gives the map three layers so I'm guessing the pins are on a different layer to what is being exported.

Hmmm.

Booker.

celestian
June 4th, 2019, 19:26
Yeah. I have a map with pins to my encounters. The encounters and reference doc and all else export fine. The only difference is that on loading the exported module into a new campaign the pins are then missing from the map, although the encounters are there. Just the pin links to them are gone.

I am using 5e combat extension and Core Token Helper.

Thanks for the response.

Booker

I've no idea what that extension does but have you tried it w/o anything else?

I have never had this issue so I suspect it could be that or some other fiddly bit that isn't being covered in the discussion. If you still have issues after removing the extension if you zip up the campaign (the one you are exporting) and send it to me and I'll see what happens locally.

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 19:40
When zipped the module is still nearly 200,000kb. How can I send that to you?

It's a conversion of Hoard of the Dragon Queen from the PDF I have been working on.

Booker.

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 19:47
I've sent you a PM.

Thanks.

celestian
June 4th, 2019, 20:15
When zipped the module is still nearly 200,000kb. How can I send that to you?

It's a conversion of Hoard of the Dragon Queen from the PDF I have been working on.

Booker.

The maps I looked at don't have pins at all in the campaign you sent me. This is the one you exported right? Which map should have pins? I look at various maps (some labeled with level) for PCs that I expected would have pins. There are none.

Booker Grimm
June 4th, 2019, 21:09
I think it is due to the 5e combat extension. It uses a three layer map. If you load the module without this extension, then it does not show the layer with the map pins. I'll just not use the extension and replace the pins.
Thanks for looking. Author must not be compatible with 5e combat.

No worries. It works fine when tested without the extension.

Booker.

celestian
June 4th, 2019, 21:14
I think it is due to the 5e combat extension. It uses a three layer map. If you load the module without this extension, then it does not show the layer with the map pins. I'll just not use the extension and replace the pins.
Thanks for looking. Author must not be compatible with 5e combat.

No worries. It works fine when tested without the extension.

Booker.

You can try a /export w/o author and see if it works but I suspect it won't for the map pins. CoreRPG only supports a single layer. That will probably change in FGU.

damned
June 5th, 2019, 01:08
If the maps are from the official module they will not be exported in your module, only your content will be exported.
What is this Hoard of teh Dragon Queen PDF you mention?

Booker Grimm
June 5th, 2019, 09:03
It's from the hardcover edition Hoard of The Dragon Queen. I've converted it to FG for my own use, rather than buy the adventure again. Now I'm trying to produce a Reference doc with Project Author so I can read it on the screen for my face to face games. I think I've sorted it now.

celestian
June 12th, 2019, 18:23
update 4.13:

Added deeper level of nested un/locking for 5E classes (features, specializations/etc).
Added bulk chapter/story entry creation (beta).
Updated "all" keyword to use data library for current ruleset, not static list.
Cleaned up keyword entries added during ref-manual creation.

The bulk chapter/story creation is experimental. FG doesn't like bulk creation of nodes so you have to be cautious on how you use it. I wouldn't recommend creating 10 chapters with 100 story entries in each. 1 chapter with 100 storys might be ok but... use at your own risk. Save your campaign files and back them up. To use it click on the weight icon while in edit mode for Story records.

Natewizard
June 14th, 2019, 13:48
I keep getting this error, help
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:61: attempt to index local 'imageControl' (a nil value)

damned
June 14th, 2019, 15:08
I keep getting this error, help
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:61: attempt to index local 'imageControl' (a nil value)

You get this error in what ruleset?
When you do what?
Do you have any other extensions loaded?
What versions of rulesets/program are you using?

Natewizard
June 14th, 2019, 15:31
2E ruleset, when I click to go to next turn in combat tracker, or just click a monster or player pic in combat tracker,no extensions loaded

Trenloe
June 14th, 2019, 15:48
2E ruleset, when I click to go to next turn in combat tracker, or just click a monster or player pic in combat tracker,no extensions loaded
So you're not using the extension that this thread is for? Your issue actually has nothing to do with the thread that you posted in?

Please see my comment in post #2 in the thread I created from your other post about this issue here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49625-Script-Error-string-quot-ct-scripts-ct_entry-lua-quot-61 Please provide any follow up information about your issue in that thread only, we've derailed this thread too much already.

Mortar
June 16th, 2019, 18:19
pssst…Celestian, you forgot to update your announcement text to the current version

celestian
June 16th, 2019, 20:53
pssst…Celestian, you forgot to update your announcement text to the current version

Sure enough, woops. I wish I could just reference the <version> data there ;(

Mortar
June 18th, 2019, 00:41
I think the keywords portion still needs a bit of polishing up. These are two examples from a project I am wrapping up.

<keywords type="string">credits linklist class imagewindow recordname 00002 title player guide author vicki potter developer bill webb skeeter green producers charles wright editors dawn fischer layout graphic design cartography frog god games ceo creative director swords 38 wizardry matthew finch pathfinder greg vaughan staff marketing sales rachel ventura mr wolf 169 2012 necromancer all rights reserved reproduction without written permission publisher expressly forbidden logo trademark characters names places items text herein copyrighted mention reference any company these pages challenge concerned 00003 00004 fantasy grounds adaptation perry chalmers mortar smiteworks usa llc 2019 visit fantasygrounds information material within purposes personal corporate profit file photographic optical electronic media methods storage retrieval prohibited used under license programming code presentation redistribution print strictly https www</keywords>

and

<keywords type="string">a guide player book exactly hints tips tricks playing rappan athuk things like 147 sure search secret door room level minotaurs 146 maze 148 150 you won find here don believe there such above feel gotten something extra immerses world let live every day takes town zelkor ferry being number map list names game stats place populated with people folks have personalities occasional foible available interaction your characters now when ride into they know anybody will beware straitjacket can use written force out particular behavior but says 133 hold weight around because big believers rule always right may just happen slightly altered universe which themselves little different than prime need deal case though hoped gives sufficient information accommodate his changes comfortable village nonetheless gms specific included grizzled legless veterans and merely maimed all tell stories opinions crucial about environs useful who never tackled dungeon population higher many cities those whose egos spend much time city great outdoors both forgotten best handle important remember advice tells everything adventurers telling same situation classic blind men elephant each partly wrong invite add annals graves</keywords>

celestian
June 18th, 2019, 02:14
Can you give me a hint at what you're having issue with? I can see that the linklist, imagewindow and recordname can probably be cleaned up but im guessing you are meaning something else.

Mortar
June 18th, 2019, 11:35
Number notations XXXXX and XXX.

The longer number notations are from node id's, the shorter notations are stripped from XML special characters.

celestian
June 18th, 2019, 15:11
Number notations XXXXX and XXX.

The longer number notations are from node id's, the shorter notations are stripped from XML special characters.

The problem with stripping numbers is something like "table 24".

damned
June 18th, 2019, 15:15
Mortar f@#k english rules... Id strip all the 's out of don't and can't etc...

Talen
June 29th, 2019, 15:19
I love the Author Tool and it is generally pretty easy to use but have a couple questions.

1. Is the first entry in a chapter always a subchapter regardless of whether you toggle the option in the story entry?
2. Any idea why the the image I added to the "02.10 The Alcubierre" story entry does not appear in the Reference module when loaded?

Mortar
June 29th, 2019, 15:51
It looks like you didn't check the Maps and Images as part of the export when you exported your work.

Talen
June 29th, 2019, 16:52
That's not it - I just verified and re-exported - same problem. (I do have other images coming over - it's just this one for some reason.

Mortar
June 29th, 2019, 17:04
What does that page look like in the module's XML?

celestian
June 29th, 2019, 17:46
I love the Author Tool and it is generally pretty easy to use but have a couple questions.

1. Is the first entry in a chapter always a subchapter regardless of whether you toggle the option in the story entry?

If you make an empty Story right after a chapter that will be used as the sub-chapter w/o a page text. But, otherwise no, there MUST be a sub-chapter entry so it will create one using the Chapter.

That's not it - I just verified and re-exported - same problem. (I do have other images coming over - it's just this one for some reason.

Did you use any form of markup? (bold/italic/etc) on this text for the linked image? You can't do that. It might be because you have nothing else on the page? I've never had "only a link" on a page. If it's not markup try adding a extra line after the image link and see. If that's it let me know and I'll check if I can code around that.

Talen
June 29th, 2019, 22:37
Celestian - No markup and I tried adding an extra line after and text before and no luck. Every other image is coming fine - not sure why this is creating an issue for me....

celestian
June 29th, 2019, 22:42
Celestian - No markup and I tried adding an extra line after and text before and no luck. Every other image is coming fine - not sure why this is creating an issue for me....

You can zip up the campaign file and send it to me and I can take a look if you like.

Talen
June 29th, 2019, 22:50
Thanks for the offer Celestian! - I sent you a pm.

celestian
June 30th, 2019, 02:36
PM'd. Works locally... /boggle.

Talen
June 30th, 2019, 02:49
Well that's just weird - but thank you!

celestian
June 30th, 2019, 05:24
Well that's just weird - but thank you!

Maybe try deleting the story entry and re-making it? If that doesn't work check the .mod file and see that the image is there? Does the exported story entry (not the ref-manual) have the link and does the link work?

Mortar
June 30th, 2019, 22:43
@Talen out of curiosity, did you try the module in a new campaign? If not take a look at the campaign db.xml and delete all the entries under the
<image> tag.

tstory30
July 1st, 2019, 03:12
Have you figured out how to add multiple frametypes into the same ref-manual entry? Similar to a PDF where you have the sidebars and/or extra information within an entry.

Talen
July 1st, 2019, 04:25
Celestian and Mortar, Im not sure what the glitch is on this book, but when I started a new mod there arre no issues...so looks like some quirk on my system - but not something that is a problem going forward. Thank you both!
Here is the screenshot of Star Trek Adventures Core Rule Book I've put together.

celestian
July 1st, 2019, 06:15
Have you figured out how to add multiple frametypes into the same ref-manual entry? Similar to a PDF where you have the sidebars and/or extra information within an entry.

Not with the current version of Author. It's something I'd like to do but right now it's not possible.

JohnD
July 1st, 2019, 06:43
Celestian and Mortar, Im not sure what the glitch is on this book, but when I started a new mod there arre no issues...so looks like some quirk on my system - but not something that is a problem going forward. Thank you both!
Here is the screenshot of Star Trek Adventures Core Rule Book I've put together.

Beautiful work you've done there.

lmontecosta
August 24th, 2019, 15:28
Great project this one. Thanks! I am really enjoying it.

It is helping me a lot with a module for a MoreCore Ruleset.

Well... I was trying to link a Data to a Reference Manual page like this:

All good until export it.

Here is how it appears when I open my Module Reference Manual:

All blank this Data "Items"

I tryied with other Datas and also with two different Rulesets (5e, MoreCore)

Thanks again for this project. Good luck on it.

viresanimi
August 24th, 2019, 15:38
Seems like you didn't export the Items data. I would check the export screen again.

damned
August 24th, 2019, 15:47
Seems like you didn't export the Items data. I would check the export screen again.

^^ this is most likely...

lmontecosta
August 24th, 2019, 16:35

Here we are.
(Left Side) Accessing Items directly from Module
(Right Side) Accessing Items linked from Reference Manual

I tryied to interact with Item Data from Reference Manual and Console happens:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class ( : item.id-00006@Modulo Teste - 5e)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/campaign_button_new.lua"]:28: attempt to index local 'w' (a nil value)

celestian
August 24th, 2019, 17:39
Are you trying to link to the "Items" on the right list of records?

https://i.imgur.com/x2Uw3Xo.png

If so... That's not something I built support for or tested. If not...

I just ran a quick test locally using 5e (looks like what you're using). I just copied items from the 5E phb item list and used those.

https://i.imgur.com/tApwSCi.png

When I exported I hit "select all" for all records to export.

https://i.imgur.com/ipU4LGd.png

lmontecosta
August 24th, 2019, 17:53
Are you trying to link to the "Items" on the right list of records?

Yes, that is. I think I should tell you that. Sorry.

As a suggestion, I think it might be a good idea if we could link data from those records.

Thank you

CapitanAndyman
October 1st, 2019, 23:56
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see this question while scanning this thread. Is there a way to get this extension to work with the Edge of the Empire Ruleset? When I load this extension, I get the following error:

Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (encounter) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (campaign/record_story_author.xml)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_bulk_add)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_bulk_add_down)
Runtime Notice: s'Registring tvsize slash handler'
Runtime Notice: s'dieboxviewlistmanager.lua: onInit()'
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_author_adnd.lua"]:53: attempt to index global 'LibraryData' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find icon ()
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = darksidechit'

tstory30
October 1st, 2019, 23:59
It doesn't seem so due to a different setup for that rule set compared to 5E.

celestian
October 2nd, 2019, 00:02
It doesn't seem so due to a different setup for that rule set compared to 5E.

No clue what Empire Ruleset is but if it's not based on CoreRPG then this extension will not work with it sadly.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2019, 00:03
No clue what Empire Ruleset is but if it's not based on CoreRPG then this extension will not work with it sadly.
It's Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. And, no, it's not based on CoreRPG.