PDA

View Full Version : 5e ruleset difference from the SRD5E?

Ken L
January 8th, 2018, 10:51
Is there a difference? Are the modules just content packs? This is preferable as I want to be able to edit and tweak the ruleset to my liking which requires access to these internals. I'd gladly buy it if it only has extensions to the open ruleset and content packs accessible by this open ruleset.

If it's more than content packs bleeding into the realm of 'these features don't work unless you have X books' then I may as well fire up my OCR kit and scan it myself and buy nothing as I already own the books. Why is this a big deal? Because I always modify the base ruleset to my liking and behavior, I've built a Shadowrun 5E / Mongoose Traveller hybrid ruleset to my specification, and the inability to access the base rules is a major pain.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2018, 10:53
The 5e ruleset is the 5e ruleset. SRD content is just modules of data; same as for any other ruleset. The modules are of course not accessible since they are protected but the ruleset can be modified to your liking.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2018, 12:57
Not sure exactly what you are wanting to do. The 5e ruleset is open and able to be modded with extensions. Modules can be made for the 5e ruleset. The official modules provided by WotC and sold by SmiteWorks are encrypted to protect the copyright elements within. The encrypted modules do not prevent you from making extensions though. Nor do they prevent you from making your own modules.

Ken L
January 8th, 2018, 14:28
I was just clarifying. I haven't opened the 5E rulesets, I'll pick up the rulebooks then.

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2018, 15:17
You should not need to pick up anything. The rulesets are already included. The WoTC books are just content, not extensions or ruleset changes.

Morthul
January 8th, 2018, 15:22
I also have a question; in 5e do lucky pendants give -1 roll in 5e when invoked, because I really want to know if it’s a legit thing or I’m being a crappy player

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2018, 16:35
I also have a question; in 5e do lucky pendants give -1 roll in 5e when invoked, because I really want to know if it’s a legit thing or I’m being a crappy player
Welcome to the forums.

Not quite sure what you're asking. In 5E I know of the "Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone)" but not a "lucky pendant". The Luckstone provides a +1 bonus (not -1) to save and ability checks. Pretty sure this effect is not automatically created when adding the item to your inventory but I haven't checked. But, you can create your own effect or use the item effect extension.

Talyn
January 8th, 2018, 17:04
Is there a difference? Are the modules just content packs? ... I've built a Shadowrun 5E / Mongoose Traveller hybrid ruleset to my specification, and the inability to access the base rules is a major pain.

I'm confused by your questioning. If you've "built a ruleset" then you already know that rulesets are rulesets (all the Lua automation, if any, etc.) and modules are the data you and the players use within that ruleset. No difference from the PFRPG stuff, which I know you use. The only catch with 5E is (sadly) the SRD modules are encrypted. If you need access to them, email support. I'm positive JPG already knows you're a programmer and will get you the source XML no problem.

Ken L
January 8th, 2018, 22:03
I'm confused by your questioning. If you've "built a ruleset" then you already know that rulesets are rulesets (all the Lua automation, if any, etc.) and modules are the data you and the players use within that ruleset.

It's a heavy modification of Fenloh's Shadowrun ruleset with additional overrides at CoreRPG files to replace various elements.

In terms of 'modding' fantasy grounds, I approach it from a depth first angle to get what I need as I'm quite objective when I have limited parcels of free time. I suppose if I took a more worldly approach I could figure out the entire eco-system of interactions but there's black binary blobs in places. Wizards also enjoys locking up their content so not having run anything in 5e on FG, it's a safe expectation.

Either way, question is resolved.

Myrdin Potter
January 9th, 2018, 19:21
The 5e ruleset was designed at first the same as any, since mechanics cannot be copyrighted. Once the WoTC license was obtained for the content, it can clearly be seen that a lot more automation was layered into the ruleset, but the ruleset itself is not encrypted.

WoTC is pretty good at making their base rules available since the 3e SRD and OGL which was updated for 5e. The basic install of Fantasy Grounds also installs the 5e SRD content (which is think is also not encrypted) and the client (the ruleset) allows creation of all the main rule elements built in (races, classes, spells, backgrounds etc.). Skills are hard coded into the rules and needs an extension to change if a rule set based in 5e needs a different list.

The only real knock I have about the “closed” nature of the ruleset is that it relies on character/phrase matching exclusively to make the code for the combat tracker. However, there is a community extension that allows you to associate effects with a specific item or NPC so even that limitation is easy to get around. The reason why the current implementation is not ideal is that when you create new monsters, unless you word an ability to exactly match an exiting ability that has automation, new abilities are completely manual.

I think the old scorch and burn TSR policies coupled with the business almost dying and them not releasing a 4e SRD has caused the closed source impression to continue when they are actually much more open and sharing than most companies.