PDA

View Full Version : Random tables to populate quests?

Weepdrag
January 7th, 2018, 18:45
Hello All,
I've created a bunch of random tables to randomly create quests. Is there a way to make the result automatically populate the "QUESTS" section in FG?. I see that I can send the result to CHAT, STORY, ENCOUNTER or PARCEL but no other options. Any ideas, short of Copy/Paste?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2018, 19:29
You can't populate to quests, no. You could create story templates and use those as quests.

Weepdrag
January 7th, 2018, 21:13
Thanks Zacchaeus,
As I feared I'll need to do copy and paste. I just noticed that Quests that are created through the "QUESTS" section also don't reflect on the "PARTY SHEET". So, more copy and paste. Maybe I'm just using something improperly.

Thanks again

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2018, 21:23
You can assign Quest XP to the party, but their is really no other tracking with it. Quests are sort of new and they haven't gotten as much love and attention as they might.

I suggest you add your ideas for them to the wishlist; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2018, 22:00
Thanks Zacchaeus,
I just noticed that Quests that are created through the "QUESTS" section also don't reflect on the "PARTY SHEET".

Not sure what you mean. You create a quest from the quests button down the right hand side and then share that quest with the players once they get it. Your quest can contain whatever information you want; who gave them it, what they have to do, possible rewards etc. You can also add the quest at that point to the party sheet by dragging and dropping it into the Party sheet in the quest section. If you gave an amount of XP for quest completion you can then distribute that XP by right clicking on the quest and selecting award. Basically this works in the same way that distributing XP for encounters works.

damned
January 7th, 2018, 22:06
Because a Quest exists doesnt mean that the party is aware of the quest, has been awarded the quest or has agreed to the quest.
To have Quests on the Party Sheet just drag them on. This is mostly about awarding XP.

Weepdrag
January 8th, 2018, 21:30
Now that I've opened the can of worms here goes...

If I have this straight, I create the quest (randomly), Copy it to the [QUEST] section, then "DROP" it into the [PARTY SHEET]. The question is this... How does the player(s) "accept" the quest? and does the quest stay there as a log entry once the player(s) complete it? I see the little AW? bubble for awarding the quest (I assume) but not much else. The Wiki is sorely lacking in this regard

Thanks again

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2018, 21:38
I actually don't know the answer to your questions, but I can tell you how to figure it out. Start a second instance of FG, chose to Connect to a game, use localhost as the alias and you will connect like you were a player. You will see everything they see and can grab a pc etc. Then do your quest things as a GM on your first instance of FG and see what the players see on the second instance.

damned
January 8th, 2018, 21:41
Im not sure Quests doco is sadly lacking. Its possible they just dont do what you think they do?

From the manual:

Quests
* Quests are created by clicking the tab in the top left hand corner of the 'Story' sheet. Enter a challenge rating and XP if desired and then type whatever text is desired.
* Quests can also be created by right clicking in the quests section of the Party Sheet and selecting Create Item
* Quests can then be linked to story entries, dragged into maps (which creates a map pin) and shared with players as normal.
* When dragged into the Quests section of the Party sheet quests act much like encounters in the previous section.
* The DM can award the XP for a single quest by right clicking and selecting 'Award' or by clicking the 'Award' button at the top left of the Quests box.
* The XP will be shared amongst the players equally and output showing the award will be sent to the chat window.

There is no feature for Accepting quests.
The Award button is used when allocating XP.

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2018, 21:56
You give the players the quest by sharing it with them; right click on the quest sheet and select share. You don't need to place the quest in the party sheet until you are ready to award the XP for it, unless you want to use the list on the party sheet to see what quests the players already have. Quests will stay on the party sheet until you delete them from it.

Weepdrag
January 8th, 2018, 23:41
Thanks for the replies