PDA

View Full Version : unable to load base.xml

seycyrus
January 7th, 2018, 01:09
Greetings,

I am running an Ultimate license on a Windows 10 PC.

I launch FG successfully. When then I try to load up my Gurps campaign (as the DM), I get the following,

Ruleset:
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?

This error occurs when I try to open up 2 campaigns that I ran about a month ago, and another that I last ran a few months back.

I do not get the error when I load up test campaigns in 5e, corerpg or anything else for that matter.

My app directory is, C:/Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds/

My Data directory is, C:/Users/Michael10/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/

I've gone through a few threads where this was resolved, but am still a bit confused about the correct solution.

I have not made any changes to my FG (specifically Gurps stuff) in the last few weeks.

Should I be removing the gurps ruleset and replace it with a new version? Delete everything in my app data folder and re-update?

Thanks for your help in advance.

damned
January 7th, 2018, 01:19
Delete CoreRPG.pak and Gurps.pak (whatever its actual name is) AND any unpacked rulesets of those two and re-run the updater.

Actually as its happening in 5e too its CoreRPG you need to concentrate on.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2018, 01:25
I think the OP said it was not happening in 5E or CoreRPG. So it sounds like it's the gurps ruleset that needs to be deleted and re-downloaded.

damned
January 7th, 2018, 03:04
Stupid me running out the door and firing off a quick answer but failing comprehension 101...

seycyrus
January 7th, 2018, 14:51
Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Things are up and running as of this morning. I had a few windows problems that I took care of, but the ultimate fix seems to be removing and replacing the ruleset.

SaintDeadp00l
March 27th, 2018, 21:43
where is this file located i ran in to this problem and cant seem to find the file

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2018, 22:10
All of the ruleset files are in a folder called 'rulesets' in your FG data folder. To find your FG data folder click on the small folder icon top right of the FG start screen. If FG won't load at all the default is usually in User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. It does depend on your OS however and how recently you installed. On Win 10 it is sometimes found in ProgramFiles/Fantasy Grounds (or possibly ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds - I don't remember which)

Mortar
March 27th, 2018, 23:04
Generally ProgramData on a Win10 box.

Trenloe
March 28th, 2018, 02:24
Generally ProgramData on a Win10 box.
Not always. There was a period of time when FG did store data there, but there were numerous file access rights, so it no longer stores info there. If you installed FG during that period then your FG data may be in ProgramData, but not guarantee. The best way is always to open FG and click on the folder icon in the top right of the launch screen.

shadelon
March 28th, 2018, 12:37
I opened that little folder then followed the same exact path to try to find it windows explorer, and the folder it was in seems to be hidden or something. So seems clicking that little folder is the only way to get to it.

TriOpticon
March 28th, 2018, 19:23
If it is in AppData that folder is usually hidden from view. You would have to change a File Explorer setting to see Hidden folders/items. Not needed since you have a way to get to what you need.