PDA

View Full Version : Creating new classes in pathfinder

graphil
January 5th, 2018, 22:10
This is for pathfinder.
With the existing classes it is possible to drop and drag onto the sheet to level up a character.
Is it possible to create a new class that will do the same and if it is is there is guide on how to do it?

thx in advance,

G

LordEntrails
January 5th, 2018, 22:17
Yes it's possible... But I can't find a guide on how to do it at the moment...
Looking at the list of videos I don't see anything... https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos
Have you checked the User Manual? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

ddavison
January 5th, 2018, 22:24
There is an example in the video for the Pathfinder Core Rulebook add-on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3fpNlYV6M&list=PL3h0dIaiayC9IGOSvlYHsT4JIqBQ3Jbc9&index=3

graphil
January 6th, 2018, 11:08
Hi Doug, thanks for the video link but that isn't what I'm looking for. We are going to start a campaign using the 00ne games great city players guide as additional material. This contains 5 new character classes.
What I'm looking for is a guide on how to create a new class in the campaign so that the levelling functionality works for those just like it does for the core rule book.

Also a separate question having watched the video. How do I get the character sheet style showing up like in the video? It looks great.

Thx, G

FG_Dave
January 6th, 2018, 14:28
Hi Doug, thanks for the video link but that isn't what I'm looking for. We are going to start a campaign using the 00ne games great city players guide as additional material. This contains 5 new character classes.
What I'm looking for is a guide on how to create a new class in the campaign so that the levelling functionality works for those just like it does for the core rule book.

Also a separate question having watched the video. How do I get the character sheet style showing up like in the video? It looks great.

Thx, G

Hey graphil,

To answer your question, you can definitely create a new class for your PF game from the Classes side bar button. Then you can adjust the information for that class. Then once you get your info the way you want it then you will then see the drag and drop magic happen with saves, BAB, any skills you added, skill ranks per level.

And I think you should have the sheet now like what was in the video with Doug ;). Just make sure that you activate the official Pathfinder Theme extension in your Campaign Details.

graphil
January 6th, 2018, 14:36
Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I think the issue was I created the campaign before I purchased the core book. I can see the style in a new campaign but not an existing one. Is there a way to update an existing one?

Thanks,

FG_Dave
January 6th, 2018, 14:54
Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I think the issue was I created the campaign before I purchased the core book. I can see the style in a new campaign but not an existing one. Is there a way to update an existing one?

Thanks,

Not a problem graphil.

Maybe Doug can give you a definitive answer on this. I am not sure if the the .pak file changed between the free version of the PF ruleset and the official ruleset and if that would change any PF games already created.

I did however notice that the official extenstion would turn on and off for a new campaign.

ddavison
January 6th, 2018, 16:20
When you Load your Campaign, you can choose the official Pathfinder theme and desktop decals you want active in your campaign. It doesn't have to be decided at the time you create the campaign.
The ruleset type needs to be PFRPG, though.

Creating a class on PFRPG is basically the same as it is in the 5E ruleset. You can see a video on how to do that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM

One additional tip that I can give you is that it may be easier to clone a similar class if it is very similar.
1. Open the classes window and open the source class you want to clone
2. Drag the shortcut for that class back to the Classes window and it will make a copy
3. Open the copy, unlock it and edit the name and other class features.

The Main tab is just descriptive text. The Other tab houses the functional bits, like what level you get stuff, the BAB progression, etc.

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 16:29
Is there a manual for pathfinder? The one linked in this thread only shows D&D 5E. I am currently wanting to create a new class and can't find any information on how Pathfinder is coded. For instance, what does base attack "fast, medium, or slow" do? what does fort, ref, and will save "good or bad" do? Seems like there is a good deal of documentation missing unless you run 5E. The class creation is just one thing, too. What if I want to create a new race or one that is not listed? Also, I'm sure there are many other things that are coded specifically a certain way for pathfinder.

LordEntrails
April 24th, 2020, 16:59
Is there a manual for pathfinder? The one linked in this thread only shows D&D 5E. I am currently wanting to create a new class and can't find any information on how Pathfinder is coded. For instance, what does base attack "fast, medium, or slow" do? what does fort, ref, and will save "good or bad" do? Seems like there is a good deal of documentation missing unless you run 5E. The class creation is just one thing, too. What if I want to create a new race or one that is not listed? Also, I'm sure there are many other things that are coded specifically a certain way for pathfinder.
There are no manuals for any ruleset. Yes the default manual does tend to reference 5E as that is soemthing like 2/3rd of the games run. The wiki has more information on the PF character sheet (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/917644/PFRPG+and+3.5E+Character+Sheet).

But you probably want to look in the 3.5/PF sub-forum and ask any ruleset specific questions there. It's where the folks who use PF the most tend to browse :)

ddavison
April 24th, 2020, 20:01
I don't know that class creation is specifically described in the core rules for Pathfinder. It was around in the D&D 3.0 and 3.5 days and basically borrowed for class design in Pathfinder -- like most things.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-classes/