PDA

View Full Version : Modern Games

Snikle
March 17th, 2006, 06:21
Hey all, I know RPGers tend to be all about fantasy, so I am curious if anyone is running a modern (in any version of it, Apoc, Past, Urban Arcana....) game setting. I have been haunting the WotC forums lately and it seems for about every 1 modern referencing post, there are probably upwards of 500 fantasy posts. So I wonder how many people out there really play modern games at all.

mr_h
March 17th, 2006, 13:37
I think as soon as that d20 modern release is finished, there might be some more. I know my group has been contemplating it.

Kalan
May 17th, 2006, 20:18
I can say I'm using snikle/doswelk's d20 Modern ruleset - and its been run through its paces ;) And is about to be run again this weekend :)

I think depending how this weekend goes, I may run another campaign, but I don't know what day I'll be running yet - to be seen ;)

Snikle
May 17th, 2006, 20:25
Glad to hear you like it. I am planning on putting together a Map Pack Modern for over on FUM here in the near future, any suggestions as to things you would like to see in it? I am already working on one 'modern office' map, but I am looking for other suggestions as to what others need for their modern games.

Kalan
May 17th, 2006, 20:32
Glad to hear you like it. I am planning on putting together a Map Pack Modern for over on FUM here in the near future, any suggestions as to things you would like to see in it? I am already working on one 'modern office' map, but I am looking for other suggestions as to what others need for their modern games.

Yah...all that FUM stuff has kinda grown on me...like an Ugly Monster...:eek:

As for maps and the like - park scenes, malls, offices...can't think of much else off the top of my head.

Normally I'd do my own - but the mappin prog I have doesn't have a lot in the way of modern stuff :( And I just don't have the time to make stuff to use (FractalMapper being the program...and I don't have the $ for Dundjinni :( )

Tailz Silver Paws
May 18th, 2006, 04:59
Does World War II count as modern?

Kalan
May 18th, 2006, 13:47
In my mind - anything from WWII onwards can be considered "modern". The period from the 20's an 30's is primarily "Pulp".

My tastes in games is kinda odd - its either high fantasy, or Urban Fantasy. And while most of my d20 Modern games start off "normal", the PC's almost always get sucked into the weird over time ;)

mr_h
May 18th, 2006, 13:49
I'm contemplating a Top Secret SI Ruleset in the near future....course, I gotta work time out with my current campaign :D

Doswelk
May 19th, 2006, 12:59
I've being playing Darwin's World for some time now...

That's why I started the Modern ruleset (although the DW ruleset full of non-SRD stuff so it won't see the light of day)

Next I'm planning another D20 Modern Dark*Matter campaign (this will be my fourth - but the first using FG).

Kalan
May 19th, 2006, 13:12
Then the news that WoTC is releasing Dark*Matter for d20 Modern must be music to your ears then hey mate ;)

I've always run Urban Fantasy when I play d20 Modern. Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey (SERRAted Edge series) have been my major influences on my campaigns.

Doswelk
May 19th, 2006, 18:08
Then the news that WoTC is releasing Dark*Matter for d20 Modern must be music to your ears then hey mate ;)

Except what I've heard is that it is just a rehash of the old book and conversions to modern (I've already done that!)

A lot of the dark matter stuff has shown up in menace manual already.

That said it's good to see Dark*Matter an official campaign again!

Snikle
May 19th, 2006, 18:45
Oh wow, I think Fal was in love with Dark Matter, I will have to tell him this.

Drakard
May 23rd, 2006, 05:53
At this point I will play any class, race, or game. I just want to play again I'm kinda tired of running games.