PDA

View Full Version : Server-side characters

Paradoxic
March 16th, 2006, 22:36
I am moving my game onto FG and I was wondering if I do the paper->computer transfer of character sheets, can the players pick them when they log in? I know the cheap solution is to have them all create local characters, log in, save those characters to the server, and then I can go through at my leisure changing them... I was just wondering if it was possible to skip the "have players log in first" step.

Toadwart
March 16th, 2006, 23:20
Yes. All DM (and player) created characters are available for selection by any PC connecting to the session.

note: This might change in the next patch (1.06) but fixing it will probably just be a simple matter of editingthe db.xml file and specifying the name of the 'owner' for each character.

Griogre
March 17th, 2006, 07:49
A small heads up, Paradoxic. Server characters are fragile in the sense they are easy to accidently change. Many of the fields change numbers based on the player or DM roll their mouse wheel and there is a fair amount of mouse wheel movement in any session.

I wish it was possible for the player or DM to "lock" the character sheet to stop this.

SurlyDwarf
March 17th, 2006, 16:42
... I wish it was possible for the player or DM to "lock" the character sheet to stop this.

Me too! Now, where did I put that limited wish scroll...

Cantstanzya
March 18th, 2006, 01:56
A small heads up, Paradoxic. Server characters are fragile in the sense they are easy to accidently change. Many of the fields change numbers based on the player or DM roll their mouse wheel and there is a fair amount of mouse wheel movement in any session.

I wish it was possible for the player or DM to "lock" the character sheet to stop this.You should be able to do this in 1.06.

Paradoxic
March 18th, 2006, 13:22
Awsome, thanks guys. I suppose one solution is just to review the character sheets before the game to make sure things are correct (though that'll require keeping hard copies as well)... but, yet, a way to lock it down will be nice.