PDA

View Full Version : Trying to HOST and GM, Player(s) cannot connect.

mikewizard
January 2nd, 2018, 12:51
Title says it all. I'm new to the FG product. Trying to allow players to connect to my server.

Every time I run 'TEST' it returns as failure.

Help requested.

damned
January 2nd, 2018, 13:02
Hi mikewizard you are going to have to provide more info.
What have you tried?

For the connection test to succeed the Fantasy Grounds server is going to attempt to connect to your computer on TCP port 1802.
Anything in the way of this could be causing your issue.

1. Your windows firewall must allow the fantasygrounds application to communicate and to receive communications
2. Your router must allow connections to come in from outside your network to your computer on TCP 1802

That is a simplified overview of the requirements.
What is your setup and what have you tried?

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 01:29
I'm in the process of procuring the password and ID for my router. admin / admin not working though.

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 01:58
If your ISP manages your router give them your local PC LAN IP Address and ask them to port forward TCP 1802 to your computer on TCP1802 and to give your computer a DHCP reservation or static lease.

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 02:00
Ok appreciate the advice. Can you please explain to me exactly what this all does/means so in the future I have a better grasp of the situation?

I'm not exactly sure what DHC / Statis Lease means.

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 02:08
Ok appreciate the advice. Can you please explain to me exactly what this all does/means so in the future I have a better grasp of the situation?

I'm not exactly sure what DHC / Statis Lease means.

DHCP (my apologies)
On your network you can connect a device and it will automatically receive an address from the router so that it can participate on the network.
(This was not always the case - DHCP for TCP/IP was a big deal when it was introduced.)
Often your router will assign the same address to a device every time it connects - but not always.
A static lease or reservation will make sure your computer always gets the same address and then the port forwarding will always be pointing to the right computer.

To allow your players to connect to your game they actually have to connect to your computer.
They do this thru a pinprick sized whole in your router/firewall that Fantasy Grounds is listening on. (TCP Port 1802 - there are 65,534 IPv4 Ports and the same number of UDP ports).
Many routers will see the FantasyGrounds application start up and will open up TCP1802 and point it at that computer - but not all routers will do this and some networks are more complicated and require manual configuration.

Its kind of like having 65,534 mail slots on your front door. Each one a different size for a different type of parcel. No parcel can go thru the wrong slot. For safety you also block all of these mail slots except for the one size that you are expecting to receive mail on.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2018, 03:31
Let us know the operating system and the router you are using. Where in the world you are and what ISP you are using can help as well.

If your router is not forwarding port 1802 to the computer running Fantasy Grounds you will not be able to host a game until that is fixed.

Just be a little patient and we will work through what is needed to get you up and running.

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 04:27
Let us know the operating system and the router you are using. Where in the world you are and what ISP you are using can help as well.

If your router is not forwarding port 1802 to the computer running Fantasy Grounds you will not be able to host a game until that is fixed.

Just be a little patient and we will work through what is needed to get you up and running.

I'm on Windows 10. in Korea, using an SK router.

Thanks for your patience and responses.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2018, 04:35
Ok, verify that your windows or anti-virus firewall is allowing connection to the internet for Fantasy Grounds. Make sure your network setting are set to “private”. You should be able to google and find that out.

You also need to forward traffic from your router to computer for port 1802 so you will need to know your IP address for your computer.

Finally, you will need to find out how to port forward from your router, so you either need to login and do it or have your ISO do it for you if they control the router.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2018, 04:37
Oh, and to verify, you have a DSL connection, not a cellular (wireless) connection and router?

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 04:53
yep. computer is hooked up via DSL.

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 05:15
please open a cmd prompt and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8

And post the output. Did you find the admin details? Did you check that the Network Connection Profile is set to Private?

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 06:08
Port Forward set up. Next step is to figure out how to uninstall Norton on Windows 10 in Korean...

JohnD
January 3rd, 2018, 06:12
Port Forward set up. Next step is to figure out how to uninstall Norton on Windows 10 in Korean...

Nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2018, 06:29
I use norton and it works fine. Why does it need to be uninstalled?

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 06:46
I use norton and it works fine. Why does it need to be uninstalled?

Its in Korean and he is having trouble understanding it so he cant configure it.

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2018, 07:13
That would be a good reason ... :-p .

My GF is with me and she actually speaks Korean but I don’t think her PC knowledge is quite good enough for this.

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 13:08
최대 30홉 이상의
google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8](으)로 가는 경로 추적:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms

here's the result.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2018, 13:19
최대 30홉 이상의
google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8](으)로 가는 경로 추적:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms

here's the result.
We need to see the whole result, not just step 1.

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 13:26
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.35.1
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.55.1
3 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
4 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
5 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
6 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
7 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
8 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
9 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
10 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
11 * * * 요청 시간이 만료되었습니다.
12 63 ms 44 ms 44 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

I see here it says 'public'

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2018, 13:29
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.35.1
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.55.1
This appears to be the problem - these are two internal IP addresses, which suggests there are two devices between your computer and the Internet. Do you only have one routing device in your setup? i.e. your computer connects straight to the Internet router, you don't have additional wireless access points or routing devices?

If you only have one device, then this looks like your ISP is sharing your IP address (common practice nowadays). You'll need to get in touch with them to see if there is a way they can provide you with a dedicated IP address or provide port forwarding for TCP port 1802 to your setup.

mikewizard
January 3rd, 2018, 14:02
appreciate the effort here. Will investigate tomorrow and update on progress. I'm a man possessed now.

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 22:23
Additionally you wrote that your network says its Public - please change to Private.

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private

mikewizard
January 4th, 2018, 07:05
This appears to be the problem - these are two internal IP addresses, which suggests there are two devices between your computer and the Internet. Do you only have one routing device in your setup? i.e. your computer connects straight to the Internet router, you don't have additional wireless access points or routing devices?

If you only have one device, then this looks like your ISP is sharing your IP address (common practice nowadays). You'll need to get in touch with them to see if there is a way they can provide you with a dedicated IP address or provide port forwarding for TCP port 1802 to your setup.

Ok after some discussion with the ISP I've learned that we do in fact have 2 routing devices as you mentioned above. One of them comes from outside and then hooks into the one inside which is what all the hardware in my apartment runs on. I've also learned that if we were to route it through a single device, it would significantly decrease the speed of our internet, which unfortunately isn't an option. What I do not know is if this is an issue that is unique to where I live or if it's universal. What I also don't know if where I go from here now.

damned
January 4th, 2018, 07:21
Ok after some discussion with the ISP I've learned that we do in fact have 2 routing devices as you mentioned above. One of them comes from outside and then hooks into the one inside which is what all the hardware in my apartment runs on. I've also learned that if we were to route it through a single device, it would significantly decrease the speed of our internet, which unfortunately isn't an option. What I do not know is if this is an issue that is unique to where I live or if it's universal. What I also don't know if where I go from here now.

Ok so Im calling hogwash :)

If you have two devices (any devices) in serial (in-line) and they are passing anything thru them (water, data, bricks, whatever) they can only operate at the speed of the slowest device. No two ways about it.

So you have two devices currently. If one is indeed faster than the other then even if you remove the faster one you cannot be slower than what you are currently...

Anyway can you have access to the external device?
If not do you have access to the internal device?

Send me your email address by PM.

Myrdin Potter
January 4th, 2018, 11:55
You can still use FG even without access to the two devices, but that generally takes a VPN, with PureVPN with the dedicated IP option known to work. Otherwise, two devices, cable modem and router, is not uncommon and generally works.