PDA

View Full Version : Intended use of the 'mini' sheet

Ken L
December 31st, 2017, 17:31
The way the mini-sheet is implemented in the 3.5/PF ruleset is kinda... weird. You'd expect it to behave as a minimizer but instead it spawns a smaller copy.

This can be fixed quite easily in the onRelease routine in template_char for both the 'mini' and 'full' sheet buttons.

w.setPosition(window.getPosition());
window.close();

Is there a specific reason for why it was done this way?

Andraax
December 31st, 2017, 17:51
The way the mini-sheet is implemented in the 3.5/PF ruleset is kinda... weird. You'd expect it to behave as a minimizer but instead it spawns a smaller copy.

Is there a specific reason for why it was done this way?

Well, the mini-sheet button opens a mini-sheet. Why would you think it would do anything else?

madman
December 31st, 2017, 18:01
I think it was intended to just take up less screen space.

Ken L
December 31st, 2017, 18:15
Well obviously yes, but why does it keep the full sheet open for no other reason? Switching between the two is screen cancer for those on laptops, and you can't solely rely on the mini as you can't edit it. In terms of minimization, the above snip just closes the full in the process of opening the mini... something I feel it should have done.

Is there a purpose to leaving the full open and vice-versa for the mini? I mean if you shuffled them around in the windows-musical-chairs then it gets more annoying. To make it useful it needs to keep the position of the prior window to encourage its use.

Andraax
December 31st, 2017, 18:27
Is there a purpose to leaving the full open and vice-versa for the mini?

When I'm playing, I open a mini-sheet for combat, a mini-sheet for HP info, and a mini-sheet for spells. If it auto-closed the main sheet, then I would need to open the sheet, click on mini-sheet for HP. Then open the sheet AGAIN, click on mini-sheet for combat. Then open the sheet AGAIN, click on mini-sheet for spells. Instead, I can open the sheet once, open the three mini-sheets, then close the main sheet. I can do most of what I need directly from the mini-sheets. Most of the stuff I can't, I'll hot-key. I need to open the main sheet very rarely when I'm playing, pretty much only when I first log in to open the mini-sheets.

Ken L
December 31st, 2017, 21:52
3 mini-sheets for the same character? for the 3/5/PF ruleset only one can be spawned, and clicking the mini/full button again will simply update the tab-page on its counterpart. The mini has a condensed selection of tabs, but there's logic there to handle it.

Assuming you have a mod that lets you spawn multiple mini-sheets per character, I suppose if you dislike tabs that's a solution, but for players on laptops which is the main target of mini-sheets, it's counter intuitive.

Either way, I found it strange that given how simple it is to switch over into a more desired behavior (in terms of minimization on a number of platforms), I was quite surprised the mini behaved the way it did.

damned
December 31st, 2017, 22:35
Hi Ken L I think Andraax mostly plays Castles&Crusades.
My guess is that the mini was introduced when Fantasy Grounds was a lot simpler and you could do the majority of actions off a smaller amount of screen space - eg three minis.
The mini existed before I started using FG.
Since then there are a lot more things that some of the rulesets can do esp. 5e and Pathfinder so the minis arent nearly as useful in those rulesets.
In other rulesets they have not really been implemented.

Andraax
January 1st, 2018, 00:43
Yeah, in Castles and Crusades. This is what they look like there:

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/Mini-Sheet.JPG