PDA

View Full Version : Random Encounter Tables?

SheckyS
December 30th, 2017, 17:36
I am trying to set up a random encounter table for my upcoming campaign. So what I did was I went to Encounters and there's a new thing there for Random - cool. So I created a bunch of these and then I created a Table which randomly chooses one of these Random encounters - assuming that rolling on the first table would select one of the random encounters which would then get generated. But it doesn't work.

If I roll on the table with Output set to Chat, I can see the results of the roll, no problem.
But if I set Output to Encounter, I get an encounter window with the name of the table in it and nothing else.

If use a regular encounter in the table, it works fine.
Am I missing something or do tables simply not support random encounters?

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2017, 21:50
See the attached graphic. Set up each line with the number of creatures that you want to spawn as shown in the example and then drag the NPC from the MM (or wherever) and drop it on the position shown.

Another method is to create the random encounters as you have done and then drag the encounter to the line on the table. Don't set the output to encounter though since you already have one. When you set the output to encounter FG tries to create the encounter but if you link an actual encounter it doesn't have anything to work with.

El Condoro
December 31st, 2017, 14:45
Open Encounters, Random
Create a new random encounter
Drag each creature that appears in the encounter and how many
Then drag the random encounters onto a roll-able table
Click the link in the Chat window and you have some sweet random encounters at your finger tips.

JohnD
December 31st, 2017, 20:02
Hey SheckyS its not strictly what you asked, but with tables you can also set up something like this giving you a huge amount of variability when your players come upon a random loot situation.