PDA

View Full Version : Light version of FG, DND Beyond, or export from one app into FG

Gix
December 30th, 2017, 17:25
I'm looking for a light weight way to build characters. Spinning up FG is resource intensive for only building a character with no one connected.

I've purchased multiple DnD products from FG. Do those licenses extend to DnD Beyond? Because I also have the books... and purchasing the same thing a third time is a bit nutty. (DND Beyond would allow the character building I'm after)

Alternately, is there some other resource which would allow building 5e characters and exporting them to FG for use in campaigns?

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2017, 17:46
No, the licenses do not extend to the other products.

Their are several character builders available. I don't use them but I believe Hero Labs & PCGen are both well supported and have an export/import into FG.

Gix
December 30th, 2017, 20:27
Yeah, went on DNDBeyond... they want full price for everything...which means it ain't happening. Buy the real book, $30, buy the FG book, $30, ... etc etc.. paying three times for the same content isn't my idea of fair

Bidmaron
December 30th, 2017, 21:20
If you are looking for low cost, pcgen is the way to go. I am not sure how much 5e stuff they have for free though

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2017, 21:36
I'm looking for a light weight way to build characters. Spinning up FG is resource intensive for only building a character with no one connected.

I don't understand. Why is it resource intensive? Building a character in FG is extremely easy if you have bought the resource books and especially if you are going to be using the character in an FG campaign then to me, anyway, it makes no sense to build it somewhere else and then have to import it into FG (for which there are no really comprehensive importers for FG anyway).