PDA

View Full Version : Replicate Campaigns across computers

Gix
December 30th, 2017, 17:20
I use FG from Mac. Within Mac the app is a special "Folder" with all the game files within it. I also have a laptop (mac) it'd be great to be able to work on the campaign from either without exporting and importing.

Is it possible to:

A) Change the campaign folder so that its files can be stored in a custom folder (on iCloud)
B) Have the FG app itself be stored in iCloud so that files auto-update across all machines.

(Are there any risks if you have actually tried B?)

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2017, 17:44
Files can be copied from one computer to another. Not sure how that would have to happen inside the Wine wrapper.

As for storing the campaign folder on iCloud, use of a live cloud location is not recommended and has been reported multiple times to cause database corruption.

There are solutions for Windows machines, so I assume their are similar approaches for a Mac, but I will let someone who knows better than I respond.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2017, 21:42
You can't have the FG app run from the cloud. As LordEntrails says never sync your data files to the cloud when FG is running since you will eventually get corrupted data. You can save the data files to the cloud and upload and download to them manually but just don't sync them

JML
December 30th, 2017, 22:36
Mac user here. Don't know if it will be of some help, but…

A) I tried to use an alias to be able to work on a ruleset creation. The Wine machine doesn't seem to recognize what's a specific Mac OS mechanism… which makes sense. I gave up searching for more elaborate solutions as it's not worse the hassle for me. Having said this, the alias mechanism works perfectly well the other way around: you can easily keep anywhere a direct reference to you campaign folder.

The warning concerning cloud syncing problems seems common sense.

If by importing-exporting campaign you meant something else than bluntly copying your specific campaign folder, give it a thought.

May be Automator could ease the burden.