PDA

View Full Version : trouble with IFT conditional

rickyhunt
December 29th, 2017, 19:53
I am trying to set up smite evil in Pathfinder. I set up one effect of just "Smite". Then I set up another on the paladin of smite evil; IFT: CUSTOM(Smite); ATK: [CHA]; DMG: [LVL]; DMGTYPE: good based on a trick I saw on YouTube. During testing, the attack and damage modifiers work just fine. I first tried to set up the dmgtype as spell, so it would overcome any DR, but it didn't work. Then I tried to change it to good vs a demon and it still didn't work. If I set up a standalone effect of DMGTYPE: good, it works just fine. For some reason, I can't get it to pick up the damage type in the IFT conditional. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Trenloe
December 29th, 2017, 20:36
You can only use effects that are targetable with IFT. Check for a (T) in the notes column here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers (Assuming you're using 5E).

Bidmaron
December 29th, 2017, 22:07
He is using PF

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2017, 22:17
The same applies to PF; as Trenloe says you can only include targetable effects in the IFT statement and DMGTYPE isn't targetable.

rickyhunt
December 30th, 2017, 00:09
I don't think I understand. I thought IFT meant "If my target is something, then give me some effects." Why would those effects need to be targetable? They are being put on the "caster".

For my smite evil, I thought it was saying "if my target has been smited, then make my damage type good". I was just trying to make sure that the damage type didn't get added when the paladin attacked someone other than the smited target.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2017, 00:22
It doesn’t matter who the effect is being placed on it still need to be targeted. If you look at the wiki you’ll see a T next to the effects which can be targeted and therefore useable in an IFT statement. DMGTYPE is not one of those with a T next to it.

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2017, 00:29
Could you just change this
DMG: [LVL]; DMGTYPE: good

To?
DMG: [LVL] good

rickyhunt
December 30th, 2017, 00:52
Good idea, I'll give it a try. I am learning a lot about the fine art of writing effects.

Nope, only the bonus damage is type good.