PDA

View Full Version : Voice changing software?

Jokael
December 29th, 2017, 18:27
Hey folks,

I'm wondering if anyone here has used and had success using a voice changing software for fleshing out NPCs on Discord. I've used one for fun over a decade ago while reading in MMOs with friends.
I'm going to be DM'n a campaign in a month with friends using Discord, but I'm not too good at changing my voice while talking.

Hoping there is a solution where I can save presets for NPCs to use.

Thanks in advance!

Trenloe
December 29th, 2017, 18:29
I've used MorphVOXPro pretty successfully. https://screamingbee.com/

Jokael
December 29th, 2017, 18:45

Thanks for the quick reply, are you able to create presets before sessions and pop them when you need?

Trenloe
December 29th, 2017, 18:49
are you able to create presets before sessions and pop them when you need?
Yep, that's exactly what I did - fine tuned the ones that came with a voice pack and saved them. Then you can switch between the different voices through the interface.

Jokael
December 29th, 2017, 18:58
Yep, that's exactly what I did - fine tuned the ones that came with a voice pack and saved them. Then you can switch between the different voices through the interface.

You Rock! This community is amazing.
Thanks much!

Trenloe
December 29th, 2017, 19:03
No worries.

There's a 7 day trial on MorphVOXPro - give it a go!

LordEntrails
December 29th, 2017, 22:06
You Rock! This community is amazing.
Thanks much!
It helps that we have our resident AI (T.R.E.N.L.O.E)!

seycyrus
December 29th, 2017, 23:36
I've used MorphVox Pro. For male voices, I (a guy) can use just about any of the male presets and have good results. The female versions of my voice are more difficult to produce - a lot of them still seem to sound like me. Maybe it is just my speech patterns that I recognize. I think that the way to do a voice of the opposite gender is to try to put yourself in character, increase the pitch of your voice slightly, and maybe change the cadence a bit, and THEN apply the preset.

@ Trenloe, do you have any luck with female voices? Any other tips?

Trenloe
December 30th, 2017, 01:39
@ Trenloe, do you have any luck with female voices? Any other tips?
You pretty much have to try to talk in character as well - certainly change your usual speech patterns. I had some OK results with female voices - just took a bit if fiddling with the settings.

Jokael
December 30th, 2017, 03:22
Just purchased this for $20, sale I guess and an addon. Already created 4 voices for my ToA campaign. This thing is awesome!

Axoid
December 30th, 2017, 13:43
So do you speak live, and it changes your voice real-time, or do you have to pre-record stuff?

damned
December 30th, 2017, 14:03
So do you speak live, and it changes your voice real-time, or do you have to pre-record stuff?

Realtime ;)

Axoid
December 30th, 2017, 14:05
Realtime ;)

That's awesome. I'm going to try the demo out, and probably buy the software after :)

Ram Tyr
December 30th, 2017, 14:09
Questions, questions, questions... this sounds interesting... but so many questions.

The OP asked about something that works with discord... does MorphVOX Pro work with the other popular apps? (Teamspeak, Mumble, Skype,...)

Were any of the Plugins / addons required to make it useful? Helpful to make it useful?

seycyrus
December 30th, 2017, 15:41
Questions, questions, questions... this sounds interesting... but so many questions.

The OP asked about something that works with discord... does MorphVOX Pro work with the other popular apps? (Teamspeak, Mumble, Skype,...)

Were any of the Plugins / addons required to make it useful? Helpful to make it useful?

I use Teamspeak for my gaming session, I can use MorphVoxPro to change my voice live without any problems.

I have also (and I believe Trenloe does as well) use it to record little snippets of speech, which I then incorporate with Deluxe Oz's sound extension, allowing me to play an NPCs speech etc.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2017, 16:02
MorphVOXPro changes your voice realtime, and you can switch between previously setup voices (or canned voices supplied in packs) as you want. It adds a device to your computer (appears as a recording/mic device) which you select as the input to your chosen voice app (TeamSpeak, Discord, whatever). Then you just speak in your chosen voice profile and it gets sent to the voice app. You can setup a neutral profile, so you can speak in your own voice.

Jokael
December 31st, 2017, 04:09
I use Teamspeak for my gaming session, I can use MorphVoxPro to change my voice live without any problems.

I have also (and I believe Trenloe does as well) use it to record little snippets of speech, which I then incorporate with Deluxe Oz's sound extension, allowing me to play an NPCs speech etc.

What do I need to record dialogue then how do I push it through my Discord session? This will be great to get it set up beforehand for NPC dialogue.

I really like MorphVox, it is definitely worth the 20$ atm.

seycyrus
December 31st, 2017, 06:31
What do I need to record dialogue then how do I push it through my Discord session? This will be great to get it set up beforehand for NPC dialogue.

I really like MorphVox, it is definitely worth the 20$ atm.

There's an option on MorphVox to record to a soundfile. You can then use Deluxe Oz's sound extension to send sound (including the sound file) to your players. It's a free extension. You'll have to learn to use it. A word to the wise, when you use the extension make sure you enable sound on FG!!

Gwydion
March 12th, 2018, 18:04
So I thought about starting a new thread, but rather than separate it, I'll add something I'm reviewing now to this conversation. To begin, I realize the price might be prohibitive to many, I just like to track everything that is available and I found something that was new to me. See below:

If anyone is interested in adding voice changing to your DM repertoire, I am currently testing a couple products that seem VERY promising so far. They give you the ability to change your voice to a monster/NPC in a very customized way. The products have a number of presets as well. More to come as the integration is a little technical (at least for me, but perhaps not to some of you!), but basically your voice will go into Voicemeeter and this program will process it before it is sent to the output of discord/your stream. Early tests for me are it works pretty darn well. As a caveat, I tried to use clownfish and morphvox pro, downloaded Voxal from NCH all with little success (but that was probably just my own limitations!). The two products I am testing are as follows:
Dehumaniser Lite: https://www.krotosaudio.com/products/dehumaniser-lite/
Dehumaniser Simple Monsters: https://www.krotosaudio.com/products/simple-monsters/
Dehumaniser Lite is $49.00 and Dehumaniser Simpler Monsters is listed at $99.00 but I was able to "upgrade" my Dehumaniser lite by paying $50.00 and then had them both for a total of $99. Note that I purchased Dehumaniser Lite and then decided I wanted the Simple Monster program as well and figured out I could "upgrade" but somehow still keep the other program too! FYI, there is a demo for Dehumaniser lite but be warned! It only lasts I think 20 minutes or so!

For a little more info on the difference between the two products, see this FAQ: https://www.krotosaudio.com/support/faq/difference-dehumaniser-simple-monsters-dehumaniser-lite/

Now, these products seem more geared toward "production value" voices for movies, etc. but I was pretty excited with the quality and ability to customize. The Simple monsters program even (with a little effort) has an app where now I can use my iPad to change my voice with a couple of quick drags of some sliders and it will be recognized by the software. Again, some integration and for me, an additional VST host program to use the Simple Monsters package as it is a VST plugin. (Dehumaniser lite is a standalone program).

What excited me most is that from what I could tell in early/limited testing, I didn't see a huge CPU drain on my system. I plan to do a more complete write up and youtube video(s) to show these two as options when I have time. Consider this just an FYI for those DM's that are looking at stuff on their own and like to know about new options!

Bidmaron
March 12th, 2018, 20:06
Thanks for sharing. This looks awesome.

seycyrus
March 12th, 2018, 21:40
Are you able to change your voice from male to female without it being obvious that its really a male?

Gwydion
March 12th, 2018, 22:40
It seemed pretty good to me to change from male to female. Obviously it still helps to "roleplay" it with your voice so that you are trying to make your voice sound higher/more female AND you are using the voicechanger. Once I have more time I'll do a video showcasing some different monster/npc types and you can see what you think.

seycyrus
March 13th, 2018, 02:21
It seemed pretty good to me to change from male to female. Obviously it still helps to "roleplay" it with your voice so that you are trying to make your voice sound higher/more female AND you are using the voicechanger. Once I have more time I'll do a video showcasing some different monster/npc types and you can see what you think.

That would be much appreciated! Could you please include your normal voice as a reference in some way?

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 02:53
That would be much appreciated! Could you please include your normal voice as a reference in some way?

Ok, so this is VERY raw and I think that I didn't fully "switch" voices in between so there is some "legacy" from the prior voice. Please note I am just starting to play with this so don't take this as the full capability. I'm going to work on a "real" video soon and truly test it out but if you want to see something in the interim, see this very crude video. The link is to my personal dropbox. Don't share with anyone else, though.. lol. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia901yyifs82rxb/2018-03-12%2017-31-36.mp4?dl=0

Full Bleed
March 13th, 2018, 03:15
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia901yyifs82rxb/2018-03-12%2017-31-36.mp4?dl=0
Honestly, aside from that last FX growl ("Crazy Scream"?), nothing sounded better than what MorphVoxPRo can do with voices. And I don't think that interface is any better either.

The one issue I have with MorphVox, and I've contacted them about this recently and hope that they address it, is that when you want to play ambient background sounds/music you can't hear it yourself. You can hear the Sound Effect clips you pipe through, but not the ambient music.

Are you able to change your voice from male to female without it being obvious that its really a male?
I wouldn't say that it's "obvious" that it's really male... but it's obvious that there is some kind of modulation going on. You're not going to truly fool anyone if that's what you're looking for.

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 03:34
Honestly, aside from that last FX growl ("Crazy Scream"?), nothing sounded better than what MorphVoxPRo can do with voices. And I don't think that interface is any better either.

The one issue I have with MorphVox, and I've contacted them about this recently and hope that they address it, is that when you want to play ambient background sounds/music you can't hear it yourself. You can hear the Sound Effect clips you pipe through, but not the ambient music.

I wouldn't say that it's "obvious" that it's really male... but it's obvious that there is some kind of modulation going on. You're not going to truly fool anyone if that's what you're looking for.

That's cool. I just didn't have a lot of success with MorphVoxPro but I know Trenloe has so this might just be one more option albeit it is pricey so again, I'm not so much recommending it yet but rather highlighting what is out there. Right now I am using it as a plugin in mini-host modular, a free download from the makers of FL studio I think? You just have to register with them to download it. I am then patching it directly into my mic after I send my mic into Voicemeeter banana, but before it is processed and sent out. I'm using the ASIO patch inserts in Voicemeeter banana. That way if I want to hear how I am sounding I can send it to my headset to hear what my voice sounds like and I still have Syrinscape and all my other ambient background music separate from my voice.

I'm enjoying it and will prepare some videos for youtube when I have more time and hopefully can dial in some more particular sounds/voices.

Oh, and I'm definitely not trying to "fool" anyone, just want to add some flavor sometimes to some NPC's. I will probably use this in moderation when I really want to highlight a particular monster/encounter or maybe an important NPC I want to give some color to since I absolutely stink with voices.. :)

Appreciate you listening Full Bleed and providing feedback against what other software does.

Full Bleed
March 13th, 2018, 05:14
I just didn't have a lot of success with MorphVoxPro but I know Trenloe has so this might just be one more option albeit it is pricey so again, I'm not so much recommending it yet but rather highlighting what is out there.
I purchased Morphvox pro a long time ago... but I do remember having a setup issue. In the end, you basically just set your "Recording Device" to the "Microphone: Screaming Bee Audio" and make sure whatever voice streaming software you're using is defaulting to that and it should work.

...Voicemeeter banana. That way if I want to hear how I am sounding I can send it to my headset to hear what my voice sounds like and I still have Syrinscape and all my other ambient background music separate from my voice.
MorphVox has a "Listen" button you can toggle to echo back your voice when testing. But if you wanted to use Syrinscape and other audio channels you will need something like Voice Meter Banana to put them all together.

Oh, and I'm definitely not trying to "fool" anyone, just want to add some flavor sometimes to some NPC's.
I was just responding to seycyrus with that comment. Just wanted to set expectations. As an RPG tool to help with the suspension of disbelief I think these voice modulators are nice options... but I don't think they're going to trick too many people. That said, your mileage may vary. Some voices may be better suited. And if you are willing to "work with" the modulator a bit... you *can* get a fairly good female analogue... but you have to be cool with feminizing your own voice and then letting the modulator finish the job. Typically, I'm not up for that. :)

I will probably use this in moderation when I really want to highlight a particular monster/encounter or maybe an important NPC I want to give some color to since I absolutely stink with voices.. :)
I hear ya. That was my thought, too. Though, to be honest, I don't use it very much beyond playing the occasional clip. I find that there are so many other things to manage in a game that dealing with soundscaping at the same time can be a bit tiresome.

Appreciate you listening Full Bleed and providing feedback against what other software does.
And appreciate you taking the time to share some other options.

mlesnews
March 13th, 2018, 07:35
I used Morphxov Pro to setup my impression of Syndra Sylvan's introduction speeches and uploaded them to Syrinscape Creator. If your interested, just search for TOA in Syrinscape, it's in the Fantasy section. Yes one has to 'work' with the voice mod, at least try to alter different aspects of your speech otherwise it is fairly obvious that it is you. It is harder than one might think, what does an old woman sound like, what exactly does dry and scratchy sound like? Different things to different people I'm sure.

Erin Righ
March 13th, 2018, 08:04
I bought the works after reading this including the addons but I am a compulsive GM shopper

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 13:29
I bought the works after reading this including the addons but I am a compulsive GM shopper

lol... I hear ya. I have the same "condition"...... :)

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 13:30
I used Morphxov Pro to setup my impression of Syndra Sylvan's introduction speeches and uploaded them to Syrinscape Creator. If your interested, just search for TOA in Syrinscape, it's in the Fantasy section. Yes one has to 'work' with the voice mod, at least try to alter different aspects of your speech otherwise it is fairly obvious that it is you. It is harder than one might think, what does an old woman sound like, what exactly does dry and scratchy sound like? Different things to different people I'm sure.

Very cool. Will check that out!

twistedtechmike
March 13th, 2018, 14:04
Going to look into this, love this community!

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 14:26
Going to look into this, love this community!

Let me know if I can help with any questions. Also, as you've read here, some including Full Bleed, Trenloe and others have had success with MorphVox pro. The main thing for me is I use several different sound inputs so the dehumaniser works better for me. I use syrinscape, ableton live (for all the sound clips I have downloaded), youtube sometime for ambience, etc. I think I am pushing the capacity of my single pc doing all of this while streaming... lol

twistedtechmike
March 13th, 2018, 14:39
Same here, Syrinscape at least. Voicemeter is a godsend for multiple inputs. I even donated for the extra inputs.

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 14:43
Same here, Syrinscape at least. Voicemeter is a godsend for multiple inputs. I even donated for the extra inputs.

Yep... Me too!

mlesnews
March 13th, 2018, 15:57
VB-Audio software is a godsend! Did you know that if you download Voicemeeter Banana, it already includes VB-Cable A+B? I just found that out yesterday and I've been using it since Christmas. LOL.

twistedtechmike
March 13th, 2018, 16:02
Well, I also donated for Banana lol its really good software though. I only wish Syrinscape let you choose inputs, that's really my only complaint with my current setup.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2018, 16:19
some including Full Bleed, Trenloe and others have had success with MorphVox pro. The main thing for me is I use several different sound inputs so the dehumaniser works better for me.
I'm not sure what MorphVox wouldn't do for you with regards to this. You have complete control over which input MorphVox uses for the microphone, and which output device it sends the morphed (or note morphed) voice to. So it's easy to integrate with other sound/voice apps using whichever mixing app you prefer. I use MorphVox, Syrinscape and Windows Media Player all at once and use Virtual Audio Cable to mix them together. It would be even easier with VoiceMeeter.

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 17:06
I'm not sure what MorphVox wouldn't do for you with regards to this. You have complete control over which input MorphVox uses for the microphone, and which output device it sends the morphed (or note morphed) voice to. So it's easy to integrate with other sound/voice apps using whichever mixing app you prefer. I use MorphVox, Syrinscape and Windows Media Player all at once and use Virtual Audio Cable to mix them together. It would be even easier with VoiceMeeter.

I think I'm just an idiot.... :) Its been a while since I've played with MorphVox so good to know it can do the same!

Gwydion
March 13th, 2018, 17:09
Well, I also donated for Banana lol its really good software though. I only wish Syrinscape let you choose inputs, that's really my only complaint with my current setup.

FYI, you can use audio router https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router to change the input for Syrinscape. That being said, don't know that it saves you much more time than changing your default playback device, launching Syrinscape and changing it back (if you use VM or VMB for example). I like to use audio router as I just don't want to change my default devices, I just like to leave them as is alwasy. Also, if I shut down Syrinscape accidentally or have to reboot it, I don't need to change the default playback, but can just change the input with audio router. There are still steps to it like having to "restart audio engine" in VMB, but I like it. More of a "to each their own" thing, though versus something critical to use.

Korak
March 14th, 2018, 10:44
Got to this thread by mistake and good thing i did :).
i cannot wait to try and do some Demon type of voices.

Gwydion
March 14th, 2018, 13:13
Got to this thread by mistake and good thing i did :).
i cannot wait to try and do some Demon type of voices.

Lol.... That's happened to me to and it definitely can be a good thing!

Gwydion
March 20th, 2018, 15:43
Morning, all. So, I thought I would begin to create a catalog of voice-changing software in an excel spreadsheet. I'm happy to keep it updated as others find programs. Please note the attached isn't so much a list of recommendations, but rather, trying to organizing what is available so you can make your own decisions. I tried to indicate any current sales that I found as well. Note that I realize some of the products I listed are probably overkill for most of us (and I tried to note that in my notes), but I also realize everyone is different and where someone may want a very basic free voice changer (e.g. clownfish), others may want a full-fledged program to completely create their own unique monster voices, effects (e.g. Dehumaniser2 or Voxpat2). Let me know what other programs you know of or if anyone sees any errors in my sheet.

Two quick edits. The list is in alphabetical order and I've been able to use Simple Monsters and Dehumaniser Lite with Voicemeeter Banana. I'm sure most of the others will work well with Voicemeeter banana as well. For some reason I've had problems using Voxpat Player in Voicemeeter banana. It might be my error but the voicemeter inserts don't seem to be playing well with Voxpat Player right now for me....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn5to46bqn1wam8/voice%20changing%20software.xlsx?dl=0

mac40k
March 20th, 2018, 17:46
You should add MorphVoxJr. It only has 3 morphs: man, woman, and tiny folk. For additional functionality you have to upgrade to MorphVox Pro, but it's a good demo without having to sign up for the trial version and it's free.

Gwydion
March 20th, 2018, 17:56
You should add MorphVoxJr. It only has 3 morphs: man, woman, and tiny folk. For additional functionality you have to upgrade to MorphVox Pro, but it's a good demo without having to sign up for the trial version and it's free.

Link in post #43 to comparison file updated. Good suggestion.

Gwydion
March 29th, 2018, 15:01
Hey all. I'm on spring break with my family so I have not been able to do a video on Simple Monsters or Dehumaniser Lite by Krotos. I'm still liking Simple Monsters but it is a plug-in to a DAW and is a little more complicated than other programs if you haven't used a DAW before. Not too difficult, though. I'm posting here as if anyone is looking at Simple Monsters, they have a flash sale on Krotos through today or tomorrow I think. 50% off simple monsters with the code FLASHSALEMARCH.

Just didn't want anyone missing the sales if they are considering buying it.

https://www.krotosaudio.com/?utm_source=Marketing%20List&utm_campaign=be3eec8c3f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9dd49f57ab-be3eec8c3f-254592257&mc_cid=be3eec8c3f&mc_eid=7add7e98ca

Gwydion
March 29th, 2018, 15:22
Well crap... Looks like the sale might have ended but you can always try and see if it still works! Darn it. I was too slow. That's what I get for being on vacation...

Sarteck
September 23rd, 2020, 11:51

I tried their free software (MorphVOX Jr, not the free trial), and it basically froze and crashed my computer. Because of that, I wasn't going to bother with the Pro version, trial or not.

After searching on here and seeing your suggestion and experience with it, however, I'm giving the Trial version a go, and I'm really impressed so far. I'm likely going to end up purchasing it; I think my players would love it. (They always get excited when I do actual voice acting for some of the NPCs, I think this will be even more of a treat for 'em.)

fabiocm
September 23rd, 2020, 12:55
I'm trying VoiceMod. It works as MorphVox, but have a Soundboard that deliver sound directly, so I can set a backgroud music easily, or even mix then together. Also there is an android version. My first attempt was not so smooth, since the app keeps crashing or starting without any command. Let see if it was not only a bad day in my next session.

I used Voicemeeter for some years, but my players argued that my voice was muting or failing when I set a second audio to play at the same time.

A Social Yeti
September 23rd, 2020, 18:23
Just some side note on this from a GM POV mostly.

I have foudn that it is easily as good and sometimes a little better, to not voice act out all parts all the time, but instead narrator style describe a character's delivery of their dialog.

Not everyone is a good voice actor, I know i'm not, and voice altering software is not really a substitute for voice acting. So for me at times when i believe it is important for the players to not misinterpret a tone of delivery. I don't try to recreate that tone, i just narrate it for them instead. And the power of their own imagination hears that tone I just say is the tone, exactly as they imagine it should sound to them.

A nobody tavern keeper delivering filler i'll voice, but i wont risk an important plot moment to misunderstanding, because i'm not a professional voice actor.
I find this narrator delivery style will be less detrimental to the immersion, than having to clear up misunderstandings with reaction ret-cons.

Just my own xp on this stuff, most of us are not pro voice actors, and voice sound altering software, is not a substitute for actual voice acting of emotional tone delivery.
It can be a cool factor to bring to the game, but is import to understand working with the limitations of the tool.

Xydonus
September 24th, 2020, 07:09
I second the suggestion for Voicemod, although it hasn't crashed for me at all.

Generally don't use voice changing software when I GM, but taking part as a player in a 40K Warhammer game as a Space Marine, sorta made me consider using it. Worked really well, but it does help to join their discord and have a look at some of the voicelab stuff. I recommend VoiceMod Pro to get the most out of it.