PDA

View Full Version : Looking for campaign building advise - specifically shop inventory

nickabbey
December 29th, 2017, 17:25
I'm starting to branch out from GM'ing modules to world building.
My group started in the Darkmoon Vale area, and I've converted almost all of the PDF modules that occur in that region to FG - including the "Guide to the Darkmoon Vale" book to FG mods. Between a paid license of Adobe Acrobat and many hours in GIMP, I'm now transferring module text and maps as well as creating my own maps and tokens of very high quality and I'm very proud of my work.

However... I still have a lot to learn when it comes to world building.
I've learned that no matter how much you prepare as a GM, it's NEVER going to be enough.
Players will do either none of the things you anticipated, or all of the things you couldn't.

I would welcome some input from the community on how they handle shop inventories, and their reasons why.
Random loot tables for shops don't appeal to me as a player, but they are far easier to manage as a GM.

I was thinking of telling the players that any mundane equipment they want is available at the costs listed in the books, and then rolling random loot for shops to simulate a local economy. I figured a couple of nested random tables would do the trick nicely for this. I'd honor the max gold per transaction listed in the source material for individual town, so that no item I roll would be worth more than the limit for that town. Then I'd just use random tables to determine how many magic items are available, and use the existing random magic loot tables to generate the items themselves.

To be slightly more accommodating, I thought I would also give players looking for something specific a d20 "luck" roll to see if a particular shop has that item in stock, or can find it for the player.

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2017, 22:24
You may find this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-DOE-Locations-Extension) useful for things like shop inventories.

nickabbey
December 29th, 2017, 22:29
Thanks.

I'm aware of Dulux Oz' very good extensions, but didn't realize that there is specific functionality for shops. I'll have a closer look.

I'm still hoping to hear more opinions from other GM's on their methods, though.

LordEntrails
December 29th, 2017, 22:34
Most of the time I wing it.

If you have a set location that the players will be going back to regularly, then the DOE Locations extension is awesome. But, if it's unlikely your players are going to be going back to the same places, then, imo, it's not worth the prep time to setup inventory ahead of time.

I generally just pull something out of my head. If the party is wealthy, I might say PHB items are available at 120%. Or if they are famous in town I might give them a discount (90%). Then, depending upon the setting I might just let them ask for what they want and either say it's available (a +1 longsword) or give it a chance of being available (20% for a +2 flaming quarterstaff).

I'm not big on prepping details like that. As you've noted, players are really good at doing things you don't plan for, and not doing things you plan for. So, I don't prep too much.

Their are a bunch of good links to advice on this GM Advice (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36014-GM-Advice) thread, but the one I would recommend the most is Don't Prep Plots (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/4147/roleplaying-games/dont-prep-plots).

nickabbey
December 29th, 2017, 22:54
Their are a bunch of good links to advice on this GM Advice (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36014-GM-Advice) thread, but the one I would recommend the most is Don't Prep Plots (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/4147/roleplaying-games/dont-prep-plots).

Wow, your GM Advice thread is amazingly comprehensive! Thanks for that.

And thanks for chiming in here too.
I'm already doing a few of the things you mentioned in this thread, so it's good to know that my approach isn't wildly out of the norm.

damned
December 29th, 2017, 23:04
You can never prep enough if you want to be fully prepped.
I think learning how to wing it is your best bet.
And find what works for you and for your group.

The group Im playing with rarely ever count their loot and dont often visit shops.
When they do visit shops I will generally allow them to buy any standard equipment that they need.
I will rarely ever have magic for sale.

For me I dont want to get bogged down in the mundane.
And if the party need something to get through the next set of challenges... well they need it so they will obtain it from an encounter somewhere along the line...

nickabbey
December 29th, 2017, 23:13
Thanks damned.

I honestly don't think you can ever truly be "fully prepped".

That said, I'm the type of person who likes to have a plan, even if it's just something from which to deviate.

I've been pleasantly surprised lately to find that I better than I expected to be at improvising, but it's a skill that is evolving as I get more game hours behind me.
I'm trying to find my personal happy medium of having put enough thought and planning in to specific things (in this case, shop management) so that I CAN improvise without worrying too much about screwing it up. Luckily all but one of my players is new to tabletop rpgs, so the only person who knows when things could have gone better is me.

LordEntrails
December 29th, 2017, 23:45
The biggest problem I have improvising is with names. I can never come up with a decent name. So I keep a list of them (in Excel) that I can draw from. I also have a couple RPG apps on my phone that can generate random NPC names and descriptions. None of them are perfect, but they help.

One of these days will probably make an FG module with a random name generator, but, not today :)

damned
December 30th, 2017, 01:18
I agree name are important and often challenging to come up with on the spot.

Nylanfs
December 30th, 2017, 01:47
For Names I keep PCGen up and use the Random name generator, specifically the 1990USCensus set. :)

nickabbey
December 30th, 2017, 16:56
For Names I keep PCGen up and use the Random name generator, specifically the 1990USCensus set. :)

That's funny, I actually do the same thing. I've also had luck looking up name generators online and using them.
The biggest problem I have relating to naming is when I didn't anticipate needing a name on the spot.
At that point finding a page or loading PCGen on the spot is somewhat cumbersome.