PDA

View Full Version : UPnP Support in FG?

realistik
March 15th, 2006, 17:10
Are there any plans to add UPnP support to FG? Surely it would cut way down on the network connectivity issues...

richvalle
March 15th, 2006, 17:22
Whats UPnP?

realistik
March 15th, 2006, 17:39
Universal Plug'n'Play. It allows a UPnP-aware application to automatically set up the port-forwarding needed in your gateway, and removes the forwarding when you close the app.

DarkStar
March 15th, 2006, 19:09
Like when you have a router?

realistik
March 15th, 2006, 23:03
Yeah, like when you have a router. I myself, do not have a router, but plenty of routers have built in UPnP nowadays as I understand it.

SurlyDwarf
March 16th, 2006, 16:13
I think this would be a good idea but expect and hope it is not at the top of their list. :)

I set my IP to static and turned forwarding of port 1802 to the IP. Took 3 minutes. Done.

The reason I'd like to see this is so that I do not have to change the forwarding if I decide to use a different PC than normal. Having four in the house means I like to have flexibility in case someone is using my Media Center PC for something like watching a movie, etc.

realistik
May 2nd, 2006, 19:23
Well, I finally solved my problem by writing an application that just connects to my UPnP server and adds the TCP1802 portmapping for me. The reason I did this was that no matter what, I could never get my manual forwarding (in linux) to work correctly. So much for those days..

The program I've written is currently still sitting in Visual Studio, where I'm working on it a little every day. When it's done, you'll be able to maintain a list of portmappings which you'll be able to turn on and off while the program's loaded.

If anyone's interested, I'll be sure to post a link in these forums when it's finished.