PDA

View Full Version : Writing Client (Player) Notes Offline

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2017, 17:41
Is there a way for a player to write notes while not connected to the host, but have the notes show up once he/she connects to the campaign.

Right now I just use Notepad, then ask the DM to start up the campaign a little early so I can copy/paste from Notepad into a Note then clean it up a little bit. It's a little bit of a pain. It would be much nicer if I could just write it up in a FG Note (while offline) and then when I connect the host imports my Note.

In Manage Characters, it doesn't appear as though you can even create a new Note.

(Oops. Dang. I meant to put this in the Tavern.)

pindercarl
December 26th, 2017, 17:49
Minty23185Fresh, moved this to the Tavern for you.

Trenloe
December 26th, 2017, 17:54
Nope, there is no way to do this. Notes reside in the campaign database, so you need to be connected to the GM to be able to add or edit notes.

PCs are different as there is specific code to allow these to be maintained in Manage Characters, stored in the local characters cache and then uploaded (as new PCs) when the player connects to the campaign.

Bidmaron
December 26th, 2017, 18:08
Can an extension function in offline mode?

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2017, 19:09
Bidmaron can smell an extension in the wind!
I wanted to ensure one didn't already exist.

Just looking at it quickly, it appears as though a lot of infrastructure will have to be added to activate things in Manage Characters mode. But maybe, if the notetaker had a local campaign with the same name as the DM campaign he could use extensions and whatnot. Then when connecting to the DM's game the extension would just merge the clients' Notes with the DM Notes.

Bidmaron
December 26th, 2017, 20:09
Well I was thinking that the extension would just Goin the notes into the character notes with a flag note. Then when you load the character, another host-side extension would detect the flag note on the character and pull out the notes and put them where they should go. A kluge but it should work

Ken L
December 26th, 2017, 20:33
I used to create story entries for my players when they wrote their in-character re-caps. Nowadays they send me google doc files and we post them on a private web page for all of us to read.

This is the consequence of a host model as you need the server to be up. To be honest, the data you can transmit to the host is rather limited both in tool and function. I'd suggest a third party medium here rather than cutting around the bush with a set of nail clippers.

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2017, 21:46
... I'd suggest a third party medium here rather than cutting around the bush with a set of nail clippers.
Thanks Ken L. I like this approach. As much as I love programming, I think this method suits the needs of the many in a more robust way. I don't have to bring up FG on my PC to write the note, heck I can even use my iPad...

damned
December 26th, 2017, 21:56
Ken L uses an interesting analogy but I totally agree that this would be one of those exercises giving you very little value for effort...

LordEntrails
December 26th, 2017, 22:54
It's not particularly organized, but I do it on the thread here on the forums, see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38028-Terrorists-Aliens-Megacorps-Politicians-A-New-Campaign-Of-An-Old-Classic&p=364158&viewfull=1#post364158

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2017, 23:26
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Not sure I was it public though.

(I'm kind of shy.)