PDA

View Full Version : RESIST: XX Affecting Weapon Damage Types

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 02:29
(I couldn't find a recent (less than 2 years old) thread about this... so I'd thought I'd start a new thread.)

Playing Pathfinder 3.3.3
I have an NPC with "RESIST: 5" I noticed it is taking 5 off of all damage, even straight weapons. I thought RESIST only applied to energy types?

Per this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24044-Resist-All-Damage&highlight=resist+all

Ex: a weapon with damage type 'slashing, magic' or just 'slashing' has its damage reduced. Is that the way it is supposed to be? I thought you'd need "DR: 5; RESIST: 5" to block all types of damage?

Thanks in advance!

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2017, 02:45
The syntax is RESIST: x, damagetype. RESIST: 5 will reduce all damage by 5. If you want to resist only certain types of damage you need to string them after the number. RESIST: 5, slashing, piercing, acid for example will reduce slashing, piercing and acid by 5; but all other damage types will be unaffected.

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 02:47
As a follow-up...

It is actually stacking with the normal "DR: 5" so 10 points of weapon damage is being blocked with "DR: 5" and "RESIST: 5" turned on. However against magic damage (fire, negative, etc) only the RESIST is reducing the damage.

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 02:52
The syntax is RESIST: x, damagetype. RESIST: 5 will reduce all damage by 5. If you want to resist only certain types of damage you need to string them after the number. RESIST: 5, slashing, piercing, acid for example will reduce slashing, piercing and acid by 5; but all other damage types will be unaffected.

Thanks for the quick response! This forum is great for that. Did this change since Trenloe's response to the thread I linked? Post #4: "RESIST works with energy damage, not weapon damage."

Just curious. It would seem it would be a bit more handy to split magic and weapon damage out separately, using RESIST and DR so you could easily create an NPC that avoids a certain amount of either all weapon or all magic, or both with both effects.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2017, 03:07
Well first of all I should not have got involved in this conversation at all since I am now noticing that this is 3.5 and not 5e :D
Looking at the Wiki you can’t string types together so it should be RESIST:5, slashing; RESIST: 5, piercing etc. I’m not at all sure what The difference between resistance and damage resistance is, but whatever Trenloe says will be correct.

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 03:14
Well first of all I should not have got involved in this conversation at all since I am now noticing that this is 3.5 and not 5e :D
Looking at the Wiki you can’t string types together so it should be RESIST:5, slashing; RESIST: 5, piercing etc. I’m not at all sure what The difference between resistance and damage resistance is, but whatever Trenloe says will be correct.

I appreciate you offering some guidance either way! The funny thing is... I know Trenloe is the FG Guru, but what you described is actually the way it is working, opposite of what he stated. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug before I go using that format to make NPCs and then it gets 'corrected'.

Also, his post was 2+ years ago, so I wasn't sure if it has changed with the most recent version. Hopefully, he can weigh in. Not sure if you can tag someone...

Ken L
December 26th, 2017, 09:08
They will stack, Hardness adds DR, and DR can stack with un-typed RESIST values. DR is short hand for resistance against the physical damage variety with some logic for how to circumvent it (piercing,slashing,blunt) etc..

kwarner1986
December 26th, 2017, 16:09
The difference between Resistance and Damage Reduction is how they are programed in FG. They basically work the same way with a couple of small things:

Damage Reduction is usually programmed DR: # type. If the type is present in the damage being dealt then the DR gets ignored. The damage reduction also gets universally ignored by the damage types "spell" and "force". So if you have DR: 10 and a "spell" or "force" based damage gets thrown at you, the DR would not apply.

Now Resistance is usually programmed RESIST: # type. If the type is present in the damage being dealt the resistance applies instead of getting ignored. "spell" and "force" do not apply on Resistance command unlike the Damage Reduction Command. Hence why when you program RESIST: 10 it is applying this to everything. This is why it is important to specify which damage is being reduced. RESIST: 10 fire; RESIST: 10 cold; RESIST: 10 acid; RESIST: 10 electricity; RESIST: 10 sonic

Hopefully this helps from a programing aspect.

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 17:06
Thank you, everyone, for the information!

Trenloe
December 26th, 2017, 17:50
Looking at the 3.5E effect code (which PFRPG uses) it looks like the RESIST effect is no longer limited to just energy types. It can now apply to all damage types, which are:

"acid", "cold", "electricity", "fire", "sonic", "force", "positive", "negative", "adamantine", "bludgeoning", "cold iron", "epic", "magic", "piercing", "silver", "slashing", "chaotic", "evil", "good", "lawful", "nonlethal", "spell", "critical", "precision"

RobboNJ69
December 26th, 2017, 19:58
Thanks for confirming Trenloe!