PDA

View Full Version : Little clarification on rulesets/extensions/modules needed

Konami
December 24th, 2017, 17:51
Hi,
I have buyed in these days FG (= I'm a noob) and thinking about build a ruleset for a rpg that i play. So I started studing the guide on wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide).
Summarized i read that:

- Ruleset contain graphics stuff and no game mechanics.
- Extension contain ruleset customizations (so, graphic customizations and game mechanics ?)
- Module contain "list of things" like weapons lists, abilities list, png list, game manual

So, it's correct that all mechanics like combat management must be configured on extension ? Where is correct place to create player sheet ? Why normally I download a ruleset that contains all things ? For ex: Fate Core seems to have all things inside ruleset (i mean players sheets, graphics things, game mechanics) and no extension was created. Only Fate manual is inside modules directory.

Thank you very much guys.
Merry Christmas

Konami

Trenloe
December 24th, 2017, 17:55
Welcome to the forums.

The Ruleset contains the graphics *and* game mechanics.

Extensions are used to change the coding of an existing ruleset - changing the graphics to give a different theme and/or changing some of the base code. If you are creating the ruleset yourself you probably won't need an extension.

Modules contain data - images/map, items, NPCs, tables, story entries, etc..

Konami
December 24th, 2017, 18:03
Hi, thank you Trenloe.

Just read again the wiki after your reply and I made confusion on "game system" and "game mechanics" terms.
Now is clear.

Thanks again

damned
December 24th, 2017, 20:49
Welcome Konami
It is indeed the stuff that is in the modules that is most likely to require a license or permission.
The game mechanics and look and feel (look and feel has some fair use and some logo restrictions potentially) are usually totally ok to use without permission.