PDA

View Full Version : 4E initiative as a skill for a star wars saga ruleset

gandhi39
December 23rd, 2017, 22:40
I hope you guys can help me with my custom star wars rpg saga edition ruleset based on the 4E ruleset.

I made a skill named "Initiative" in "\skills\data_comon.lua".

Now I want to make "initiative.total" in "\campaign\record_char_combat.xml" to be equal to the total bonus of the "Initiative" skill in "\campaing\record_char_skills.xml".

How could I do that?

Thank you for your help!

damned
December 24th, 2017, 02:29
You can either try and grab the value from the window where it is being displayed or from the database.
Generally always pulling it from the database will be easier overall in the long run.

gandhi39
December 24th, 2017, 03:11
You can either try and grab the value from the window where it is being displayed or from the database.
Generally always pulling it from the database will be easier overall in the long run.

What code can I use to pull it from the database?

damned
December 24th, 2017, 03:21
Have a look at the code that displays the ""Initiative" skill in "\campaing\record_char_skills.xml" and go from there...

gandhi39
December 24th, 2017, 03:38
Have a look at the code that displays the ""Initiative" skill in "\campaing\record_char_skills.xml" and go from there...

To pull the total bonus of the "Initiative" skill I suppose I have to edit "number_charinit" on "\campaign\template_char.xml". But I don't know how. I don't even know if it should be "skill.initiative.total" or something like that.

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2017, 04:24
gandhi, you are likely in way over your head. You need to take a ruleset and break it down and study it. I seriously doubt you are going to get someone to give you a ruleset tutorial in this thread and hold your hand as you go. Folks here are very helpful, but you have to go in and understand the fundamentals by studying the threads dedicated to building extensions/rulesets. Maybe someone will surprise me, but from the nature of your questions, you need to dive in and start studying how to code in lua and learn the fundamentals. A ruleset is not for the feint of heart. Sorry to be blunt, but you have to learn the basics of coding on your own. The wiki explains things fairly well.

Why are you basing this on 4e? Most folks have moved on from there. You are cutting down on the number of folks who are going to be willing and able to help you by basing your ruleset on a ruleset no longer in active development.

Edit: It looks like you have been toying with this for a while from some of your other posts. Perhaps someone who is a 4e expert will come along and answer your question.

damned
December 24th, 2017, 04:31
Hi gandhi39
you started the thread with "I hope you guys can help me with my custom star wars rpg saga edition ruleset based on the 4E ruleset" which suggests that this was a project already underway.
it sounds like you need to start with the basics.
have a look at this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset&p=170383&viewfull=1#post170383 but read the whole thread as the initial premise being modifying the CoreRPG ruleset itself is generally no longer the recommended advice and building an extension or layered ruleset is generally better, however the rest of the content is very good.

in this particular question you want to look at the db.xml and find the initiative skill and check its path.
but you are using a dynamic list and this is much harder to retrieve a value from to use elsewhere so I believe that you would probably be better off working with the existing initiative and modifying how that works...

gandhi39
December 24th, 2017, 04:53
Hi gandhi39
you started the thread with "I hope you guys can help me with my custom star wars rpg saga edition ruleset based on the 4E ruleset" which suggests that this was a project already underway.
it sounds like you need to start with the basics.
have a look at this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset&p=170383&viewfull=1#post170383 but read the whole thread as the initial premise being modifying the CoreRPG ruleset itself is generally no longer the recommended advice and building an extension or layered ruleset is generally better, however the rest of the content is very good.

in this particular question you want to look at the db.xml and find the initiative skill and check its path.
but you are using a dynamic list and this is much harder to retrieve a value from to use elsewhere so I believe that you would probably be better off working with the existing initiative and modifying how that works...

Thank you, damned. I will have a read on the thread you pointed. I believe it will help me finish my ruleset. I don't know how to code in Lua, but I a can understand a bit of xml. The project is going mostly fine.

I managed a workaround my problem. I changed "number_charinit" on "\campaign\template_char.xml" enough as to make "initiative.total" in "\campaign\record_char_combat.xml" reflect only "initiative.misc". At least now I can manually copy my Initiative skill total bonus to it and have a working "initiative.total".

damned
December 24th, 2017, 05:21
Hi gandhi39 - sorry I missed your other threads and didnt see where you were at with this.
I do think changing the existing Initiative on the Character Sheet is the better way to go.
If you need the extra fields and calcs add them on the front sheet next to the current Init.
Change the layout or whatever you need to do to make it fit.