PDA

View Full Version : Skill Checks against Xanathar's Traps

bigbluepaw
December 21st, 2017, 21:39
I'm digging around in some of the traps in XGtE. Some things seem odd.

For example, when I bring up the Fiery Blast Trap (NPC) under Actions> Effect, the DC 15 Dexterity saving throw turns light blue when I mouse over it, meaning I can drop it on a PC and FG will execute that roll and tell me if the PC succeeded or failed. Yet, when I look at the Countermeasures, the DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check text does not turn light blue during a mouse over.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but I expected the same sort of automation for that check. Can you provide any insight here?

*rolls dice*

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2017, 21:54
This is because the perception check needs to be made by the PC.

The way FG does saving throws is that it treats it like an attack. So when you have an NPC (or PC) who forces a save out of a target then the save is targetted at the NPC and uses its bonus or penalty to whatever ability save is called for in calculating success or failure.

However skills are not like that since there's no 'attack' as such. FG doesn't know what the DC of the check needs to be. Basically FG doesn't automate opposed rolls.

bigbluepaw
December 21st, 2017, 23:02
OK. I think I get it. One clarification though.

In the party sheet, there is a way you can roll a skill check against a DC for all PCs in the game. Is there a way to code that into a story or other entry?

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2017, 23:27
No. That’s just a roll against a DC set manually by the DM. It isn’t an opposed roll since there is no other party involved. It’s just like you would roll on a real table.

MarianDz
December 22nd, 2017, 19:03
Dear Zacchaeus I like all your videos, couldn't you please make short video explaining how to use "Traps" during combat?
It's only idea :D