PDA

View Full Version : New FG GM

Galymyr
December 19th, 2017, 03:34
Hey everyone, I'm about to start GMing Rise of the Runelords and I'm trying to run through some things before I get my PC's in game. I've played a couple of PFS games on FG so I have a basic working knowledge of how things work. However, it appears that a lot of functionality was built into the pre-gens I was playing and now that I'm trying this out with test characters I'm building within FG it's nowhere near as user-friendly. I bought the Adventure Path, Core Rulebook, and Advanced Players guide and have all the modules loaded.

1. Is there a way to get combat maneuvers on the character sheet without having to use that spell power option to manually code the attack and resulting effects? Seems like pretty basic functionality so I'm guessing I'm missing something.

2. Is there a way for a GM to apply an effect to a target, from the effects menu, without it being that targets turn?

3. On the Skills tab, it lists the total points spent but I can't seem to find anywhere where it tells you total skills allowed. I can add 300 skill ranks if I want and there's no indication anything is wrong.

4. I built a test rogue and I added the Rogue talent for Bleeding Attack. By dragging it to special abilities box does it automate the function? I can't seem to get this to work. In fact, I can't seem to get sneak attack to work. There's no modifier or effect for sneak attack, and even when I select the flat-footed modifier it doesn't add sneak attack damage on a hit.

5. Same question as number 4 but for traits. I added Reactionary to the special abilities box and the PC's initiative modifier did not increase.

madman
December 19th, 2017, 03:59
Hello

1. if you roll the cmb (on tracker) against a target on a map it will resolve attacks hit/miss..
2. you can just drag effects to the entry you want (don't push the button) click and drag it to the Combat Tracker.
3. the class magnifying glass will pop up a window with skill point totals, but does not enforce them on the skills tab.
4. the Pathfinder Ruleset does not have that much drag and drop functionality. it adds the info so you can set them up.
5. they are not automated either

Madman..

Trenloe
December 19th, 2017, 05:17
The big issue with ability/feat/trait automation is the sheer number of them and the fact that Pathfinder doesn't use a standard format like 5E does, so an auto parsing of effects like 5E is not possible. Hence why 4 and 5 don't give you anything automatic.

Blahness98
December 19th, 2017, 15:54
Some of the others have pitched in so I won't respond to everything.. if you have questions s ob effects or anything, drop me a PM or ask. I did help make the effects module, so feel free to ask.

1. Is there a way to get combat maneuvers on the character sheet without having to use that spell power option to manually code the attack and resulting effects? Seems like pretty basic functionality so I'm guessing I'm missing something.

You don't have to use effects for the actual attack. Combat maneuvers can be set up as an attack option. But, the results of the attack, like prone, would need to be set up up using an effect or be dragged from the built in modifiers.

2. Is there a way for a GM to apply an effect to a target, from the effects menu, without it being that targets turn?

Yes, as madman said, just drag it overy an you are good. You can also type it in whenever you want. Just make sure to adjust the number of rounds it is in effect for and on what initiative it should adjust on.

4. I built a test rogue and I added the Rogue talent for Bleeding Attack. By dragging it to special abilities box does it automate the function? I can't seem to get this to work. In fact, I can't seem to get sneak attack to work. There's no modifier or effect for sneak attack, and even when I select the flat-footed modifier it doesn't add sneak attack damage on a hit.

Like the others have said, the PF rule set does not automate like 5e. You would have to set up an effect in the spell tab. For Sneak Attack, the Effect would look something like this. Sneak Attack; DMG: xdy precision. Replace X with the number of dice and Y with the size of the die. Set the effect to expire on a roll or set up a remove effect to take it off when you do not need it. You can then make a sub effect for Bleed Attack. Like this.. Bleed Attack; DMGO: X spell for X rounds. Replace X with the sneak attack die number. Make a remove effect for when they pass the save to heal it.

5. Same question as number 4 but for traits. I added Reactionary to the special abilities box and the PC's initiative modifier did not increase.

You would have to add it to the misc modifier box in the combat tab. There is no effect that you could leave on the tracker to do this. There is no automation for this in Pathfinder.

Galymyr
December 30th, 2017, 19:34
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just finished my first read through and have prepped Part one of Burnt Offerings. I'm a little turned off by the lack of automation for the PF ruleset and I hope this improves now that SW is making more money due to the license deal. Since I have new players (both new to PF and Fantasy Grounds) I think I may just not use what limited automation FG does have as it's going to be hard for me to trust that all the correct modifiers are in place. I'll have the PC's validate all their modifiers then manually set the modifier before rolling a die. Is that overkill? Is the automation "good enough" for a new GM and new players?

Right now the only thing I have enabled module wise are the official Paizo mods (Core Rulebook, APG, Bestiary 1, RotRL). The only extension aside from the official pathfinder extensions I have is Window Saver. Is there anything else out there that you all would recommend for me to make this easier on myself and my players?

Lastly, is there a master list anywhere of the lines you enter in to the spell power section to automate stuff? Being able to copy and paste instead of trying to explain to my PC's how to type in those strings will be much easier.

Thanks all!

Edit: I found the effects library thread so disregard that part. I saw that thread before but that's before I understood where those lines even went...
I have also looked at the module and extension threads but it's pretty overwhelming for someone new. Should I even be using the official Paizo modules or is the community content more automated?