PDA

View Full Version : Srd != 3.5 ?

stonerock0102
March 12th, 2006, 20:59
I've heard that there are differences between the SRD and the offical 3.5 rule setting. I want to buy DA's SRD for FG but if there are differences I need to know where they are.
Can anyone approve or deny this?

Thanks,
StoneRock

Snikle
March 12th, 2006, 22:52
Depends on what you mean by "offical 3.5 rule setting", the SRD is the one approved by WotC and posted on their site. Think the Digital Adventures one matches it perfectly. As for all the stuff on considered OGL (and therefore not SRD), you would need either the books, or to enter all that stuff in the ruleset yourself as it cannot be given away freely. I recommend the SRD though, it contains nearly everything you need to run the games.

Thore_Ironrock
March 13th, 2006, 01:09
I've heard that there are differences between the SRD and the offical 3.5 rule setting. I want to buy DA's SRD for FG but if there are differences I need to know where they are.
Can anyone approve or deny this?

Thanks,
StoneRock

My Complete SRD Ruleset reflects the current Standard Reference Document supported by WOTC, which is 3.5. The 3.0 SRD was retired when the new version came out. I'm actually not sure the old one is posted anywhere on WOTC's website, though you might be able to find a copy over at https://www.opengamingfoundation.org/.

So fear not Stonerock, it is 3.5, and I don't call it the "Complete" SRD for nothing. ;)

stonerock0102
March 13th, 2006, 08:08
err, wrong direction guys. My questioned wasn't clear. To ask it exactly: It looks like there are differences between PHB 3.5 and SRD. For example: there are erratas for PHB - are they incorporated in the SRD?

thanks,
StoneRock

Thore_Ironrock
March 13th, 2006, 10:01
err, wrong direction guys. My questioned wasn't clear. To ask it exactly: It looks like there are differences between PHB 3.5 and SRD. For example: there are erratas for PHB - are they incorporated in the SRD?

thanks,
StoneRock

The SRD material is only SRD. It is not Player's Handbook, DMG, MM and other official WOTC books. The SRD contains about 85% of what is in those books. The rest belongs to WOTC alone and cannot be touched. These are things like the gods, anything Greyhawk related, a handfull of monsters, and a few other things they have specific copyrights on. There is a document somewhere on their site explaining what is missing.

Per OGL, we can only use what is officially released by WOTC for the SRD. That include errata ONLY when it is posted as SRD errata. If it is PHB errata, then no.

I hope that answers your question.

stonerock0102
March 13th, 2006, 10:41
I hope that answers your question.

Not really. But please forget it - it's too late. I've already bought it, sorry :D

stonerock0102
March 13th, 2006, 10:42
err, nice work, btw. I love it.

DarkStar
March 13th, 2006, 12:04
Yeah, I needed a Worg and would have to make it in PCGen, then export to PDF for reference, then type all that in in FG... and having Complete SRD I just made a link in my story book, under "cannon fodder" section. ;D

Thore_Ironrock
March 13th, 2006, 22:56
Yeah, I needed a Worg and would have to make it in PCGen, then export to PDF for reference, then type all that in in FG... and having Complete SRD I just made a link in my story book, under "cannon fodder" section. ;D

Try RPG Attitudes NPC Designer. It does a nice export to FG job, and their community is adding to their list of monsters and such all the time. Sometimes if you request a monster they have some code lemures punch it out.

Trauma
March 13th, 2006, 22:57
I'm having a problem with Compleate SRD, I bought it, then installed it, now when i run a game, select it from the list, and start, it crashed imidiately.. any fix for this?

Thore_Ironrock
March 13th, 2006, 22:57
err, nice work, btw. I love it.

Thanks. If you have any further SRD questions just message me and I'll try to make the answer as clear as possible. ;)

Thore_Ironrock
March 13th, 2006, 23:03
I'm having a problem with Compleate SRD, I bought it, then installed it, now when i run a game, select it from the list, and start, it crashed imidiately.. any fix for this?

You probably have an extra directory in the structure. That happens when people use XP to uncompress the files. You probably have:

C:\Program Files\FantasyGrounds\rulesets\d20-SRD\d20-SRD

and it should be:

C:\Program Files\FantasyGrounds\rulesets\d20-SRD

If that isn't it message me and we'll figure it out.

;)

Trauma
March 14th, 2006, 14:23
That worked perfect =p thanks a ton.