PDA

View Full Version : Time poor middle aged noobs from australia

Kenbrehed
December 16th, 2017, 20:54
Just an expression of interest at this stage. If people are interested then we can work on the details. Looking towards starting feb/march 2018.

FG License: Standard. If there is enough interest I will buy ultimate license, if you don't mind an inexperienced DM/GM. Experienced Dm's more than welcome.
Time Zone: UTC +11
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: This group will be for time-poor players. Flexible, but I am thinking maybe Thursday nights every second week for 3-4 hours.
Term: Start with a couple of one shots then move to modules/campaign
Voice: Discord voice

Game System Preferred: D&D 5E
Game System Experience: Well I for one am a middle-aged noob who hasn't played D&D since the late 80's. So this will be a group for those possibly wanting to learn together. Experienced players welcome! Flexible with ages too.

dulux-oz
December 17th, 2017, 02:31
Hi Kenbrehed, and Welcome! to the Community!

Its always nice to meet a fellow Ozzie - you might want to think about joining the FG Australian Players Group (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?groupid=12)) - there's not a lot of online activity in the group per-say, but its a way for us Ozzies to keep tabs on each other :)

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Kenbrehed
December 18th, 2017, 10:27
Thanks Dulux for the tips! I am making my way through some tutorial videos and also doing some of the stuff with the online school. I will join the Australian players group. Thanks for the meet and greet!
Steve

damned
December 18th, 2017, 11:13
When playing in less well populated timezones sometimes you might find that if you have 3 players its best to start and then post a quick fortnightly recap here including a "room for one more player" note. Over time you will add players.

burningbush
December 18th, 2017, 12:52
Ok I am super keen to get in on a group for Thursday night's. I have training till about 8.30-9ish so would love to start around then preferably 9.

I would love to play savage worlds. If your coming back after a long time it's very straight forward system easy to learn and I have 500+ hours in it so I could help if you need.

What kind of game are you thinking? I'd love sci-fi or fantasy.

Really keen for a Thursday night group if you are.

Here is a little more about me if your interested.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41545-LFG-SW-GURPS-Thursday-night-s-or-Monday-s-AUS-time-Sci-fi-or-fantasy&p=368436#post368436

I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks to help with your purchase of fantasy grounds for the group too if needed.

dunadan
December 19th, 2017, 03:56
Hi Kenbrehed

Will have to see what night/time you end up playing, but drop me into the mix for now.

I'm in Perth (so time zones shouldn't be too much of a hassle), also middle-aged and haven't played D&D since the 80's. I have a standard license and a bit of experience with FG (mainly Rolemaster Classic).

Hope to hear from you

burningbush
December 19th, 2017, 04:52
If we did 9pm Melbourne time that'd be 6pm Perth time which would work well I'd imagine?

dunadan
December 19th, 2017, 05:04
Yep, that's right. Very easy for me to manage a 3 or 4 hour session starting at 6:00pm. Or even longer although that would be post-midnight for any Eastern states players.

Obviously, reverts to 2 hour time difference when daylight savings finishes. So that would be a 7pm for me.

Kenbrehed
December 20th, 2017, 09:54
Damned...thanks for the tip...start small...build it up...good advice! :)

Burning Bush...had my heart set on D&D 5e...I don't know much about savage worlds but I am keeping an open mind. I will do a bit of research and watching a few videos and i will let you know if I am keen.

Dunadan...sounds great....happy to fit into western australian time to a degree...may mean slightly shorter session...but I am keen to make those sessions great....i reckon 3-4 hours is still achievable....
I am reading up on players handbook and DM manual to update myself and am now thinking of a nice simple Mine of Phandelver walkthrough to begin with, let me know if it sounds okay...and no peeking ;)....

I shall message further down the track with specifics and maybe we can get together for a voice chat to discuss time/duration/roll a character etc.

dunadan
December 20th, 2017, 23:49
I've got no experience with Savage Worlds either. I haven't played 5e, but have played earlier versions and some Pathfinder. So, I'm confident that the transition to 5e won't be too hard.

Most of my FG games have been Rolemaster (RMC).

Just send me a pm when you decide what system you plan to use. I'll start thinking about a character...

burningbush
December 22nd, 2017, 00:22
Yea send us through specifics when you get a chance and I'll be cool to voice chat when ready.

DFang
December 22nd, 2017, 02:26
I'm in the Philippines (GMT+8) so the timezone is close enough to manage I think.
I'd be interested in a mid-week game every other week during our evenings, but only if it's 7pm onward for me :)

burningbush
December 22nd, 2017, 02:30
So 9pm Thursday night's (aest) is 6pm Perth time and 7pm Philippines time so that would seem to work for all of us so far by the sounds of it.

macca.dj
December 22nd, 2017, 06:43
Sounds good I am from SA so timings and Thursday should be fine with me for now. I have played 5e on FG actually LMOP getting to Lvl 6 but willing to go through again.

Kenbrehed
December 22nd, 2017, 21:42
Sounds like we have a group coming together! I will brush up on my dm skills and on how to use FG and will message you all in the new year

Dann2972
December 26th, 2017, 12:30
Hi all.
I Just got Fantasy ground for Xmass. Would love to play with some other middle aged noobs.
I'm also in Perth, Thursday anytime is good for me.
I haven't played DnD for years, but have been playing home-brews and Lovecraft based systems for the last couple of years with friends.
Discord ready :)

Danal

SirKanotana
December 27th, 2017, 06:03
Another Aussie registering interest. Keen to play any system at most reasonable times. I have an Ultimate license and all the relevant 5e books.

burningbush
December 28th, 2017, 08:54
Alright been reading and thinking. I think I have a character outline ready. I've not played dnd before (only other systems) but I've been reading and should be ready to go when we start.

Grinningmonk
December 28th, 2017, 10:30
Hi.

Was sent the link to this thread via Discord, as I was looking for people my own TZ or close enough.

Would be interested in joining this group as soon as I can get the basics down and actually know what I am doing. Never played the tabletop of FG versions before (experience limited to PC RPG's based off DnD rules) I am endeavoring to get up to speed ASAP as my time allows. Discord ready (use it extensively) but Game noob :confused:

burningbush
December 30th, 2017, 02:35
Just bought fantasy grounds and am ready to go.

andrewcr
December 30th, 2017, 06:04
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds. No problems finding players for an Australian time zone game. I have 5 players (2 from Australia, 1 from Bulgaria, 1 from Singapore / New Zealand, and 1 from the USA (night shift worker).

I run a 2 hours session from 7:15pm to 9:15pm every week Melbourne time (we go up to 15 mins overtime when the action is hot).

The 2 hour session seams to work well with a working night.

damned
December 30th, 2017, 06:22
Apologies for jumping in on your thread Kenbrehed
I see lots of new or newish players in this thread, If any of you are keen to play a one shot of some Dungeon World (very easy to learn and play fantasy RPG) have a peek at my session on Saturday 20th.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41682-FGDaze-Dungeon-World-Fantasy-RPG-Beginners-Wanted

dunadan
January 2nd, 2018, 00:52
Just jumped back online after the Xmas/New Year break. Looks like we have lotsa interest here from Aust (or similiar timezone) players.

Still don't see a definitive answer on which system/ruleset... or day and time. But I can readily come up with a character concept and fit it into the req'd game system.

burningbush
January 2nd, 2018, 02:07
I imagine Kenbrehed will be back sometime soon in the new year. He's probably doing the family thing.

someoneinatree
January 4th, 2018, 04:26
hey kenbrehed - also interested in a mid-week evening game AEDT time. Have experience with both 5E D&D and Fantasy Grounds.

Have been in and out of games over the years due to shift work... but have just started a new standard office hours job which has given me the capacity to commit to something again!

BearLionPigMan
January 4th, 2018, 07:03
If youre still looking for people I'm interested. I'm from the u.s but due to my play time being at UT -8 and I don't play till very late my time so looking for people in your part of the world helps out a lot. But I am also a mega noob and still need to learn the ropes. Hope to hear from you and have a great evening,

Kenbrehed
January 4th, 2018, 07:05
Gday folks,
Just got back from a week camping on the river. So here is what I am thinking:

FG License: Ultimate license
Time Zone: UTC +11
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: This group will be for time-poor players. Every second Thursday evening 20:00 (UTC+11) commencing 1st February 2018 for 3-4 hours
Term: We will start with Lost Mine of Phandelver and see where things go from there. I am happy to be the group's DM if you don't mind a little inexperience. More than happy for someone else to put their hand up for DM if they like. First session will be devoted to introductions and character development. Second session on 15th of Feb we will crack into MOP.
Voice: Discord voice

Game System Preferred: D&D 5E
Personal message me so I can add you to the list and I will send out a message closer to the first.

Thanks for all your responses. Here is hoping we can have some fun together!

dunadan
January 5th, 2018, 00:38
pm sent

burningbush
January 6th, 2018, 01:27
I'm there and pm sent

Carog the Fat
January 7th, 2018, 22:31
Hi There is an Auzzie Time Zone discord server with over 300 players https://discord.gg/TkaADaz games are posted regularly. Personally just started an an Out of the abyss campaign with the guys there( we all chipped in for the module and bullied a DM) muahahahaha

Rewstyr
January 8th, 2018, 01:35
Hi.

I am a Canuck living in Hong Kong. I would love to join an existing game or help form a new one. I am an ultimate license holder. I would love to play some old school adventures but am open to most anything.

Steve

mikewizard
January 10th, 2018, 10:19
I'm located in Seoul, which appears to be - 2 hours from your current Time Zone.

I'm looking for a weekly game myself that starts after hours (around 9 or 10 PM) mytime.

It's probably a long shot but if this works out for you ping me.

Rewstyr
January 11th, 2018, 01:41
Hi.

You appear to be +9 and I am +8. Yes that time would work for me, it would be nice to play Thursday or Friday though most any day would work.

Steve

GibbyNorCal
January 11th, 2018, 11:30
I'd be interested in joining a game. I would be available from about 9pm your time til about midnight or so. Can go a bit later if the game dictates.

Blazethorn
January 12th, 2018, 10:55
Hi,
Your thread described me so well I had to comment. Love to get into 5e DnD. Used to play in the 80/90s 2nd Ed. Ive brought the players handbook as I went to a convention here in Sydney and wanted to get up to speed with the new rules.
Never used FG but trying to find a ,in person, game out in the Western suburbs of Sydney is a pain in the rear, especially with work. Willing to learn the ropes and I want to DM eventually. I have the free download and am willing to upgrade to play.
Hopefully I fit what your after.

Tourniquet
April 18th, 2018, 05:11
Hey there, if your still looking im interested. Melb AUS here and best time would be Sunday 8:30pm.
Let me know if its suitable. For the record, about to turn 40 and never use FG before.