PDA

View Full Version : Complex NPC

dondoepke
December 16th, 2017, 16:50
I'm running a city based campaign, which involves me creating many NPCs not available in the MM. I'm struggling with building out abilities that apply conditional effects, and would love any advice.

If you have an example of a complex NPC, say a high level rogue or wizard, I would love to see a screenshot example.

Thanks.

JohnD
December 16th, 2017, 17:22
You could always build it as a PC and just hide it so the players don't see it in Character Selection.

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2017, 17:50
As JohnD says one option is to create them as PCs instead of NPCs. However can you say what you mean that you are struggling to build abilities with conditional effects? Some examples of what you are trying to do might help.

LordEntrails
December 16th, 2017, 17:50
If you want NPC actions to create appropriate effects, then you have to use the appropriate phrases from existing NPCs. The best way to do this is to copy the wording from a high level NPC. I don't have any examples to send you. But their are some in the MM and Volos and Xanathars? that you can use.

dondoepke
December 18th, 2017, 02:10
For example, if I'm building a 5th level Wizard, he's going to have so many spell slots available, and I'm going to pick out his memorized spells. If I was doing this as a character, the application allows me to build these items out, so that I could target someone, click a button, and the appropriate effect applied (say paralyze). I don't see a way to do that in the NPC template.

If I build these as PC's, how do I add them to encounters, combat tracker, etc? I would love this option, as I expect many of these guys to be around for awhile, and advance themselves as time passes.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2017, 03:13
Info on NPC spells here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37409-NPC-Spells

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2017, 04:05
You can do all the spells and targeting of their effects etc as NPCs. Just follow the link Trenloe posted and if after you try it out still have questions let us know. And screen shots are almost always helpful :)

dondoepke
December 25th, 2017, 00:17
Thank you. Once I watched the video, it clicked. I was adding spells manually first, did not get the connection between the traits section and spells section.

Related question, how do you keep track of spell slots during actual game play. just remember that 3 first level slots have been used? I had a prolonged combat this last week, and the evil wizard threw a lot of spells. If I get in a place where I have multiple spell casting NPCs (I have a large player party, so it is possible), I am concerned about just the accounting of things.

damned
December 25th, 2017, 00:27
Thank you. Once I watched the video, it clicked. I was adding spells manually first, did not get the connection between the traits section and spells section.

Related question, how do you keep track of spell slots during actual game play. just remember that 3 first level slots have been used? I had a prolonged combat this last week, and the evil wizard threw a lot of spells. If I get in a place where I have multiple spell casting NPCs (I have a large player party, so it is possible), I am concerned about just the accounting of things.

There is no tracking mechanism on NPCs.
The default expectation for an NPC is to live and die fast and hard in less than 60 seconds!
Just do your best. If your players are running low on spells the NPC will be too.
And if you have given the NPC some variety of spells try to use some variety in the actual combat too - dont just fireball away.

El Condoro
December 25th, 2017, 01:29
I use the Notes tab on the NPC:
1st-level slots: 1 2 3 4 5
2nd-level slots: 1 2 3 etc.
and cross them off each time that NPC casts a spell.

*Edit: 'Other' tab

damned
December 25th, 2017, 14:00
v3.3.4 has spell tracking as standard Once the NPC is added to the combat tracker, spells per level will be listed in the "Offense" details (click the "sword") at the top of the "Spells" section.

Ok so here is a little Easter Egg for Christmas.
Ill leave it in this thread for now until it gets some feedback...

Attached is an extension that will allow you to manually track spell usage by NPCs.
There are some things that will likely change - should the fact that a NPC is casting a spell be reported to the chat window?
There are some height anchoring issues.
There is some superfluous code.

But most of all this (at least in the current build) has to copy too much code from 5e and is likely to be a PITA to maintain...

Anyways - please try it out and let me know what does and doesnt work... and if anyone could specifically check out the height anchoring issues Id appreciate it...

EDIT: Fixed a bug that I didnt see first time round due to a change in labels... if you tried it already and it didnt work... sorry -this one should fix the bug...
EDIT: Fixed two more bugs and set it to NOT display Spell usage to the players by default and to allow the GM to change this in options.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21791
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21840

JohnD
December 25th, 2017, 18:01
Noice.

viresanimi
December 25th, 2017, 20:25
The default expectation for an NPC is to live and die fast and hard in less than 60 seconds!

NPC lives matter!!!

(( couldn't help myself ))

damned
December 26th, 2017, 13:43
EDIT: Fixed a bug that I didnt see first time round due to a change in labels... if you tried it already and it didnt work... uploaded to the original post above.

Of course NPC Lives Matter... for at least 6 seconds.

Kittenhugs
December 30th, 2017, 06:43
Wonderful! A great Christmas gift for sure.

I did run into a small bug though. On the NPC sheet itself, it seems that the level 2 and level 5 counts are connected. Changing L2 on the combat tracker changes L2 and L5 on the sheet (and so on), while L5 on the combat tracker is all on its lonesome.

damned
December 30th, 2017, 07:18
Thank you - I have fixed now but before I upload what are your thoughts on the NPC spell use being reported to the chat window?
I could see that some/many GMs might prefer that not to happen...

Kittenhugs
December 30th, 2017, 07:24
It probably shouldn't be shown there, it's the sort of thing I'd lump in with secret rolls. A lot of DMs wouldn't mind it being posted, but I have a feeling that those that don't want it to be posted would be really upset with not having the option to hide it.

JohnD
December 30th, 2017, 08:20
It probably shouldn't be shown there, it's the sort of thing I'd lump in with secret rolls. A lot of DMs wouldn't mind it being posted, but I have a feeling that those that don't want it to be posted would be really upset with not having the option to hide it.

Indeed.

Axoid
December 30th, 2017, 13:50
I was just running a game where I was thinking about this problem, and wham! you come up with a solution. Not only are you a genius but a mind reader as well :)

But I still see the LVL2 and LVL 5 connection issue.

damned
December 30th, 2017, 13:58
I was just running a game where I was thinking about this problem, and wham! you come up with a solution. Not only are you a genius but a mind reader as well :)

I havent uploaded the new version... I was seeking feedback on the chat message...

Axoid
December 30th, 2017, 13:58

To clarify about the error, it's only on the NPC sheet, and it doesn't carry over to the combat tracker. So even though the NPC sheet shows the same number in LVL 2 as LVL 5, when placed on the tracker the LVL 5 is zero.

Also, LVL 5 on the tracker is always zero. So if I specifically put a number in LVL 5 on the NPC sheet, it changes the LVL 2 on the sheet, and that number is shown in LVL 2 on the CT, but 5 is still zero on the CT.

Now you can change the value in the LVL 5 slot in the CT, once an NPC is added, so it's not a major issue.

Thanks,

Axoid
December 30th, 2017, 14:02
I havent uploaded the new version... I was seeking feedback on the chat message...

Ohh, got it.

My 2 cents, I would not make that info public to the players in the chat window.

damned
December 30th, 2017, 14:53
All the Lvl 5 issues are from the same single character typo.
I have changed the behavior for Chat but trying to see if it can or should be an option...
Should post it Sunday or Monday again...

LordEntrails
December 30th, 2017, 17:04
Options are always nice, but not sure its worth the effort. Default should be not to show the level in chat.

damned
December 30th, 2017, 23:12
Options are always nice, but not sure its worth the effort. Default should be not to show the level in chat.

It doest report the spell level it simply reports: Ogre Magus casts a spell.

damned
December 31st, 2017, 01:05
Fixed two more bugs and set it to NOT display Spell usage to the players by default and to allow the GM to change this in options.
See post #11 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41516-Complex-NPC&p=369177&viewfull=1#post369177

Gruber
January 12th, 2018, 16:01
this is gorgon. or was it gorgeous?

epithet
January 12th, 2018, 16:21
This is a brilliant extension Damned. With regard to posting in chat, I would say that most of the time it won’t matter, but if an npc is hidden and casts a spell, seeing “Ogre Mage casts a spell” in chat might give away what ought to be a nasty surprise.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2018, 18:15
The principles behind this extension have been built into Fantasy Grounds in release 3.3.4

Gwydion
January 12th, 2018, 20:26
The principles behind this extension have been built into Fantasy Grounds in release 3.3.4
Yes!! Can’t wait.

damned
January 12th, 2018, 23:17
Yes Moon Wizards versions can also (in some circumstances) auto fill the slot numbers too. So when 3.3.4 hits (maybe this coming week) this extensions short life will be over :)