PDA

View Full Version : FG starting up slower

Talley Darkstar
December 15th, 2017, 06:31
So the last couple of days, Fantasy Grounds has been talking almost a full minute to just start up. We haven't even gotten to selecting mods or extensions yet, just the program itself. Both Steam and the non-Steam shortcut. I've tried deleting my extensions, mods and campaigns and it seems like it's sped up the loading. Any thoughts?

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2017, 08:48
Do you mean it takes a long time to open a campaign? If so the the more you have in the campaign in terms of open modules tokens etc all have to be loaded up. So the more you have the longer it will take. A minute does seem excessive mind you but the it might also depend on your machine.

anfiach
December 15th, 2017, 13:32
I noticed this myself. I started a new campaign and loaded the 5e SRD as well as select default token packs (Pogs only) and it is taking an inordinately long time to load.

loydb
December 15th, 2017, 15:21
I'm new, and just assumed loading times sucking was normal. But yeah, it takes a pretty ridiculous time to load up considering the db is on an M.2 SSD in a system with 32G RAM.

Talley Darkstar
December 15th, 2017, 15:29
@Zacchaeus Yeah, I knew that depending on the number of Mods and Extensions it can take a bit, but this is when I start up FG itself initially.

Trenloe
December 15th, 2017, 15:43
I’ve noticed his recently. If I reboot my PC it starts up faster, but if my computer has been running for a while (which it does as I leave it on) then just getting to the splash screen can take a minute or more.

Windows 10 Professional operating system.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2017, 17:09
It takes less than 2 second for me to get to the launch screen. Win 7 Pro, SSD.

Opening campaigns are different, my Undermountian campaign takes about 2 minutes, but it has hundreds of images etc.

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2017, 19:58
The launcher has to parse through every campaign in your player cache when it launches in order to have the data for the Manage Characters mode.

If you have a lot of campaigns that you’ve played in over time, this will affect the time needed to load the launch screen.

If you want to reduce this effect, you can nuke the cache completely, or you can remove specific campaign folders from the cache directory within the FG data directory.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
December 15th, 2017, 21:52
I have my windows 10 PC running for 2 days, it took over a minute to reach the launch screen when starting FG. I restarted my computer and it then took 4 seconds. I'll try to investigate further to see if there is something recently updated/installed that caused this to specifically happen.

Talley Darkstar
December 16th, 2017, 05:45
So what I've noticed is it's two of my campaigns. Not sure what's different about them, but my other 3 and it starts up fine.

Edit: Or not, on a whim, I just tried to start it up again and there wasn't any change.

LordEntrails
December 16th, 2017, 17:57
So what I've noticed is it's two of my campaigns. Not sure what's different about them, but my other 3 and it starts up fine.

Edit: Or not, on a whim, I just tried to start it up again and there wasn't any change.
Campaign startup time is based upon how much content is in the campaign or your shared tokens.

Talley Darkstar
December 16th, 2017, 21:11
Yep. I knew that, but for whatever reason, when I took them out of FG, the program got to the splash screen in less than 10 seconds. I tried clearing the cache out as stated by Moon Wizard, but that didn't seem to make a difference. What I plan on doing later today is create a new campaign, close the program and reopen it just to hopefully pin down an area the devs can look at.

FG_Dave
December 16th, 2017, 22:43
I’ve noticed his recently. If I reboot my PC it starts up faster, but if my computer has been running for a while (which it does as I leave it on) then just getting to the splash screen can take a minute or more.

Windows 10 Professional operating system.

I noticed this also. Im wondering if I need to restart more frequently. hehe

Im on a Win 10 OS also.

LordEntrails
December 16th, 2017, 23:03
Maybe also check Task Manager to see if the RAM is being released and if the process is closing.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2017, 23:08
Maybe also check Task Manager to see if the RAM is being released and if the process is closing.
It is for me.

GunbunnyFuFu
December 21st, 2017, 12:04
I noted this as well...it's taking a minute or so to get to the splash screen, and a couple minutes past that to load. Will restart my PC to see if that helps.

FG_Dave
December 21st, 2017, 12:25
I noted this as well...it's taking a minute or so to get to the splash screen, and a couple minutes past that to load. Will restart my PC to see if that helps.

I noticed when I restart the PC it will start much faster.