PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with height

Ken L
December 15th, 2017, 00:41
How does everyone deal with height?

Prior I've been modifying the names of the tokens which is a bit painful, especially if there are several flying enemies or PC.

I hacked together an extension that works off the shift+wheel when hovering over a token to display a widget, but how does everyone else do it normally? I might be missing something here.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2017, 01:28
I have a really bad method, I just try to remember :(

Works less and less as I get older.

Will await the release of your extension :)

Ken L
December 15th, 2017, 02:38
So there's no secret sauce, and here I thought I had wasted an evening.

Regarding the extension, it's inter-dependant with a status marker like extension given how heavily it modifies TokenManager2.

Perhaps with FGU comes out. Currently I'm not fond of supporting a large array of extensions.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2017, 03:12
Just cause I don't know the secret, doesn't mean that their isn't a sauce out there somewhere :)

madman
December 15th, 2017, 03:24
I have always just changed the names. I was thinking of using the facing option sort of like a clock face (so up to 80 feet would work) have not tried it yet though. I think a Shift scroll for a height widget would be great, can't wait to see it.

Madman..

Bidmaron
December 15th, 2017, 10:54
You won't. Ken L won't share his work. He is entitled to do that, of course, but I think a lot of the stuff he does and talks about could be useful to others. I get not wanting to support something, but at least posting your code in case someone wants to use it would be a nice gesture, especially when folks have been helpful answering Ken L questions. Free country though. Just not the etiquette most extension authors observe around here....

Talyn
December 15th, 2017, 13:21
Most of the time when this question comes up on the Discord, the GMs who answer say they write the height as an Effect in the CT so they see it all the time.

Ken L
December 15th, 2017, 17:12
Most of the time when this question comes up on the Discord, the GMs who answer say they write the height as an Effect in the CT so they see it all the time.

I had a mix of that for players, for NPCs I modded their name so the tooltip showed the pertinent information.

For spaceship/starship combat, I completely abstracted measurements into near/far/close for my player's frigate.

@Bidmaron. So you're saying I haven't contributed anything? Just because I don't want to share everything doesn't mean I don't share anything. I treat FG like I treat the Qualcomm or Broadcom API generally, I bought the board, and presumably some support for API that came with it. But I'll refrain from mentioning things I'm working on in the future, the question could have been cleaner without the extension mention.

Blahness98
December 15th, 2017, 22:22
On a normal map, I have tokens that are pointing up and pointing down that have numbers in increments of 5 on them. I just put the token on the character or the higher ground and go. They are also shared so players can adjust as needed as well.