PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with homebrew customizations

Cabales
December 14th, 2017, 15:39
Hi everyone, I'm working on creating a homebrew campaign in FG and I've started creating the encounters. My problem is that when I want to edit a creature's properties that I pull over from the Monster Manual the entry is read only. I understand that I wouldn't want to edit the MM entry itself, but how do make changes to things like hit points or weapon load out on a per encounter basis without creating a creature from scratch? There must be a way to customize these items right?

Trenloe
December 14th, 2017, 15:49
Make copies of the NPC in the NPC campaign data list (via the button on right hand side of the desktop). Just drag/drop the record link within the NPC list window to create a copy.

Make sure you unlock the copied NPC record with the lock icon in the top right. If it’s red then it is read only need to copy the record, if it’s black then you can unlock and edit.

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2017, 15:51
Duplicate the item by taking the creatures drag link in the NPC list and dragging it back onto the list. You will then have the MM version and a ungrouped version. Drag the new one to a new group you create and then open it and edit etc.

Also, if you are doing many customizations, I suggest you create them all in a module using a development campaign and then open that module in your play campaign. See the Adventure Module Creation link in my sig for more details.

Cabales
December 14th, 2017, 18:23
Ok, I think I understand what you're suggesting. I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

Regarding development vs. play campaign, here's what I'm planning on doing. Please let me know if this sounds like the right approach. I'm currently building my campaign, creating the story, encounters, maps, parcels, etc... Once I've completed all of that I will save it and export it as a module (still a little unclear on how to do this, but I haven't really looked into the export process yet). Then I will create a new campaign for the group I'm playing with and load what I've exported as a module, just like the PHB, DMG, etc... I may make additional edits there, but those would be specific to that play through,like working in character backstory encounters and the like.

Does that sound right?

Trenloe
December 14th, 2017, 18:26
Does that sound right?
Yep.

Info on exporting here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Cabales
December 15th, 2017, 04:55
Copying the monsters to a custom group in the NPCs section worked great! Thanks for the help guys!