PDA

View Full Version : Separation of NPCs and Monsters

jrh18
December 14th, 2017, 15:31
Has anyone created a module like DOE's organizations and locations modules that supports recurring NPCs separate from the NPCs area?

As I develop a story I quickly run into the problem of organizing recurring NPCs. NPCs to me are individuals in the game that players have talked to and could reappear later. Blacksmiths, bell hops, tavern owners, villians, etc. They can be monsters from a monster manual, or a NPC created the same as a player character is created. Right now I see two options for creating these individuals.

Adding them to the Player characters area. This is not ideal because the players are not searchable or sortable, furthermore it confuses the individual with the actual players in the game.
Adding them to the NPC list. This is not ideal because NPCs do not have all of the same options as a PC. You can't upgrade them other than just adding to their stats block. The NPCs are not searchable in a way that is useful for recurring NPCs. You can't search by location they are in, what organization they are affiliated with, etc. Couple this with the fact that if you have multiple module that add example monsters you could have thousands of entries here.

What I am thinking is that either NPCs need to be separated into recurring NPCs and NPC templates or Monsters as part of the core product, or a module like DOE's locations and organizations needs to be created that allows for recurring characters. I created and idea https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=115381 to add a separation from what I consider Monster templates (currently called NPCs). And I am wondering if I should try to work on something like DOE's locations for this idea (not sure I have the right skill set to do that).

What do others think of this idea? Do you have a different way of managing NPCs? I have read some threads where people keep a google spreadsheet of NPCs with basic information. That feels like a fine solution, but requires multiple programs running and switching between tabs in the middle of the game to remind you of people. It also limits what information you can add about an NPC.

I would also love to be able to use things like Xanathar's list of names to auto create NPCs from a monster templates pulling from another table. I think it could really help DMs quickly add names to random NPCs in a game when players just start talking to random people.

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2017, 15:43
I just create recurring NPC's as npcs and then put them in their own group in the NPC list. Similar to your #2, but organizing them with the Groups functionality. You can search right in that group them by name, type, CR, etc.

Since my NPCs almost never change, I don't worry about it. I guess if I had to I could duplicate one and then update it accordingly. I don't give NPC's classes (since I'm running 5E) so they don't need a PC comparable sheet. I've never needed to, but you can also make story entries and them link the NPC's to them by adding their link to the story, and on the Other tab of the NPC adding a link back to the story.

Can't you add a link in the DOE Locations to the NPC?

I would like to see something like NPC creation made easier through tables and such, but I wonder if that almost couldn't be done today with a module like some of what Rob2e and others have done on the DMsG. I know it wouldn't do everything, but a story template with a link to a generic NPC record would almost get you there.

jrh18
December 14th, 2017, 15:54
I will have to try that out with Story Templates to create NPCs for me.

This is what i have for NPCs right now https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-0KuvcSgTE8JeYKKgaP689lnwirQvDbKxAnuRZqHNHM/edit?usp=sharing.

With just 2 towns I have 46 NPCs that I have to keep track of and the Players really haven't explored Waterdeep much. I have tried grouping NPCs in the NPC tab, but even that gets difficult because I have i think 15 different groups in the NPCs area already from the various modules I have that add entries into it.

I will try the story pages for NPCs and see if i can organize things in a way that makes sense. Doesn't feel ideal to me, but does feel like a work around.

I have not tried adding a DOE location to an NPC, something else to try. I didn't think it was possible and the same with organizations. I can add them to a Story page I know for sure. So a story template for an NPC could certainly contain and area for links to that information, but will be hard to search.

jrh18
December 14th, 2017, 15:59
it looks like this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40954-Field-Filters-for-All-Libraries) might be the most use to the method you are recommending Lord Entrails. If i used that I plus the story templates I could search the story template text I think for location and organization names. I will try that and see later.

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2017, 17:08
Let us know how it goes. I can see how better recurring NPC tools would be needed for Waterdeep.

Bidmaron
December 15th, 2017, 05:13
Well, I think the sidebar button should be changed to Challenges, and then that would bring up the NPC list with buttons at the top for 'Traps,' 'Haunts,' 'Vehicles,' 'Puzzles' kind of like the Story window list has a button at top for Story Templates.

jrh18
December 15th, 2017, 18:27
I don't understand how the list you have interacts with NPCs. I don't disagree that they should be options for things you can add, but they are different to me from NPCs. DOE's locations plugin can handle Haunts and I would say a new module for challenges with traps and puzzles could be created (no clue how hard it would be, but I would assume it would be similar to the DOE locations or organizations).

I do like the idea of NPCs being more like story where you have buttons that allow you access to types of NPCs like Monsters. That actually gives me the idea that an extension could be created that launches the current NPC list to add to the list of records in the new module.

Bidmaron
December 15th, 2017, 20:04
Where do you think traps are right now? They are considered NPCs believe it or not

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2017, 20:59
You can do all of this with the current filters that are available.

Apart from the Group List where you can create your own groups and lists you can also filter NPCs by type. So if you want to create an NPC of a particular type (say Barkeep) then enter Barkeep into the type section of the NPC sheet. You can then filter out all Barkeeps by opening the NPC dialog and clicking on the 'By Type' button.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2017, 21:07
It sounds like people might be getting hung up on or confused with naming.

In gaming, "NPC" often means something very specific, meaning humanoids that may be friendly, neutral, or hostile; but are generally considered personalities (i.e. people). These NPCs are different from creatures, monsters, traps, hazards, etc.

In FG, an "NPC" is anything that requires a stat block other than a Player Character. Meaning in FG, "NPC"s are non-player people, creatures, traps, hazards, etc.

Ken L
December 16th, 2017, 15:26
You could make a window that accepts character sheets (ie: the portrait drag-drop) and have it be part of your side bar, or even launch-able with a button from the NPC window. If you peek into the the party sheet, you can copy some of the list and onDrag logic to achieve exactly what you want. This does however require a little bit of elbow grease.

jrh18
December 16th, 2017, 17:01
I will have to look into that. I have messed around with theming (never got it to a point where I would release something).