PDA

View Full Version : Can't activate license, can't update properly

breno
December 14th, 2017, 05:31
Hello!

FG was working fine on my Mac until last week. Today, I'm having troubles getting right from the start. FG seems to have forgotten it's registered, so I need to activate (again) my license, I do so and its still in demo mode. No matter how many times I try it, it doesnt get activated (I can even see the license key right there in Settings), but still it will show the demo interface. Updates are also available, I try to install them, it seems process ends just fine, and still it says that updates are available. I don't know if one problem is related to the other, but I cannot get to start a registered session and I cannot load any saved campaigns.

Would really appreciate if I you could help me sort asap, since I had to cancel today's session and we're rescheduling for tomorrow. I'm running 3.3.3 (currently showing as v3.3.3 FREE). Happy to provide any extra details you might need.

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2017, 05:35
Welcome to the forums.

Are you on a subscription or a one time license? If a subscription, make sure that your credit card is still valid in PayPal and that your subscription is still active.

If a one-time license, send a screen shot, your username and license key to [email protected] and have them verify that your license is correctly entered.

damned
December 14th, 2017, 09:50
i think its more than that if he cant load saved campaigns...
more info on your install is required please and did you upgrade/update your mac/os this last week or so?

breno
December 14th, 2017, 15:06
Haven't upgraded Mac OS. I can't load saved campaigns because I can't get FG to activate, I'm stuck in demo mode (screenshot 1.png)

If I try to activate the license, it seems the updater runs (screenshot 2.png), finishes running. And I'm back in the main screen in demo mode (screenshot 1.png)

If I go to Settings, I can see the license key entered there (screenshot 3.png). Yet the main menu is still demo mode (screenshot 1.png).

If I just run the updater, it runs (screenshot 2.png) and then I'm back in the main menu in demo mode (it still has Updates are Available, it still has Activate License showing).

I attach screenshots.

breno
December 14th, 2017, 15:08
Welcome to the forums.

Are you on a subscription or a one time license? If a subscription, make sure that your credit card is still valid in PayPal and that your subscription is still active.

If a one-time license, send a screen shot, your username and license key to [email protected] and have them verify that your license is correctly entered.

One-time license. I'll contact SmiteWorks through email, thanks!

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2017, 16:33
Make sure you don't have two installs of FG. And that you data folders are actually where FG thinks they are.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2017, 16:45
Especially the "App Directory" listed in the settings window - check that is accessible from within wine. And check where the shortcut you're using to start FG is pointing to - it should be FantasyGrounds.exe in the same location as the "App Directory" setting.

I'm guessing that the shortcut used to start FG is not pointing at the same location as where the update process is putting the FG executable. Hence you're using the original "Free" executable.

breno
December 14th, 2017, 17:08
Just for the record, SmiteWorks support helped me fix it, here's what I had to do:

1) Launch FG and click the folder icon to open the Data Folder
2) Browse up several directories in the Finder window until you reach drive_c and then navigate back down to Program Files\Fantasy Grounds.
3) On your launch screen, click Settings. This should put it on an intermediate step with another button that says Update. More importantly, it should no longer be running the FantasyGrounds.exe application and is now running the FGUpdaterEngine.exe. DO NOT run the Update yet. Just leave that screen open.
4) Back in your Finder window, delete the FantasyGrounds.exe file
5) Back on the Settings Window, click cancel to exit the first modal screen. Then click the Update button and it should rebuild the FantasyGrounds.exe file

It's all good now :-)

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2017, 17:15
Good to hear it's fixed and thanks for reporting back the fix. Hopefully the next person who has this problem will see it and be able to resolve it themselves :)