PDA

View Full Version : Effects Videos for 5E

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2017, 22:27
The links below will lead you to several videos concerning effects for 5E in Fantasy Grounds. Each video is only about 15-20 minutes long and covers a particular aspect of creating effects. If you would like to see more videos on anything that isn't covered (or on anything else for that matter) leave a comment below.

Link to the playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvtWYj3HpGj5yzVugpCeoUzxtJ0i906QG) of all videos

Video One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-qiAOpgb8&t=62s) - The Basics
Video Two (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os36YR8H6Pw) - Combat Modifiers
Video Three (https://youtu.be/eVlNMGVSyKM) - Damage Modifiers
Video Four (https://youtu.be/nUxeFVgoZvo) - Abilities, Advantage and Disadvantage
Video Five (https://youtu.be/wHiXJqJBFpU) - Special tags IF and IFT
Video Six (https://youtu.be/mzsFmKcBTnk) - Effect targeting and the CUSTOM function
Video Seven (https://youtu.be/mC5v3ESrL00) - Timing of Effects
Video Eight (https://youtu.be/r_yChEmekRg) - Naming, Chaining and Concentration
Video Nine (https://youtu.be/ONEZBHkUij0) - Casts, Damage and Heals

rob2e
December 14th, 2017, 00:41
Great teaching video. Also, I happen to know there are codes already done for every spell, feat, race trait, and class feature I did at the DMs Guild. Everyone SHOULD learn how to do these themselves, but for lazy people (ME!!) the codes are already done for everything except items. And that project is on the burner. The burner hasn't been turned on, but it's on it.

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2017, 14:56
Second video in the series added. Link in the first post.

Laerun
December 14th, 2017, 18:47
I see the benefits of coding or just going out and buying these from the DMs guild. Zaccheus latest videos are good, been waiting for these for awhile...!
Also, another community member and great boon for DnD5e fans are the codes that Rob2e sells online in a discounted code package as a Purchase-able FG supplement for 5e from Rob2e: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/226590/?affiliate_rem=878507. I am glad to be surrounded by dedicated, helpful, and supportive community members! Long live Zac and Rob2e!

Laerun...

Ctmega
December 14th, 2017, 19:46
Well done Zacchaeus! Thanks for the tips!

MarianDz
December 14th, 2017, 20:32
Great work!

Dax Doomslayer
December 14th, 2017, 20:41
I see the benefits of coding or just going out and buying these from the DMs guild. Zaccheus latest videos are good, been waiting for these for awhile...!
Also, another community member and great boon for DnD5e fans are the codes that Rob2e sells online in a discounted code package as a Purchase-able FG supplement for 5e from Rob2e: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/226590/?affiliate_rem=878507. I am glad to be surrounded by dedicated, helpful, and supportive community members! Long live Zac and Rob2e!

Laerun...

I just purchased these and they are fantastic. It saves so much time for me though I really need to get better at figuring this stuff out - lol.

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2017, 21:35
Part Three is now available. Link in the first post.

Xemit
December 14th, 2017, 22:40
A question then on part three. For DMG and DMGTYPE the targeting was set to Self, but for ongoing damage the targeting was set to Target. I would have expected all three to be set to Target as the damage is applied to the target, not to the self.

What am I missing?

Trenloe
December 14th, 2017, 22:46
A question then on part three. For DMG and DMGTYPE the targeting was set to Self, but for ongoing damage the targeting was set to Target. I would have expected all three to be set to Target as the damage is applied to the target, not to the self.
"Target" for the effect is not combat targeting, it determines where the effect goes when it is applied - i.e. which creature the effect appears on in the CT. You want the DMG and DMGTYPE to go on the character that is rolling damage - as it will be applied to all of their damage actions no matter who the target is.. DMGO needs to be applied to the creature who will have the ongoing damage.

Xemit
December 14th, 2017, 22:52
OK, that makes more sense. I was, incorrectly, thinking along the lines of 'combat targeting', but using the perspective of who 'owns' the effect makes sense now.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2017, 17:51
Part four now done. Link in the first post.

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2017, 21:43
And part 5 uploaded. Link in the first post.

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2017, 14:44
Part six now available. This one covers effect targeting and the use of the CUSTOM function. Link in the first post as usual.

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2017, 18:57
Part Seven uploaded. This one is concerned with the timing (duration and Expend?) of effects.

AlphaDecay
December 16th, 2017, 22:21
The Custom function? Crazy. Now that I look at the wiki I see the custom function used in the Oathbow but not only is this function not described, it doesn't talk about how to use the sworn enemy part. Definitely learned something new there and I think I like the way you use it for Hunter's Mark and Hex rather than how the default for those spells are handled. Also the Shift dragging of effects to restrict the targeting, while documented, was also new to me. Maybe you're working on this part for the next video, but what is the (C) that you said you'd get to later? :)

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2017, 23:58
Yes the next video covers concentration checks. The (C).

wmsmitty
December 17th, 2017, 05:39
This is great stuff! I do have a question, I want to create a check on whether a character has proficiency in a skill or not and then add a modifier if the condition exists. I start the script something like this: IF: SKILL(proficient): 2, but I don't think the script for proficient is correct. Any help here?

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2017, 09:01
Can’t be done. As the video explains you can use IF to test for conditions or conditional modifiers. Proficiency is neither of these things so you can’t test for it.

If you want to give the player a bonus to a skill you’ll use SKILL: x, <skill>. You’ll need to then apply this manually to the PC based on whether they have proficiency in the skill or not.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2017, 13:55
Video eight is now available. This one covers the naming of effects, chaining them together and looks at effects for which concentration checks are required for the caster to maintain the effect. Link in the first post.

wmsmitty
December 17th, 2017, 14:37
Can’t be done. As the video explains you can use IF to test for conditions or conditional modifiers. Proficiency is neither of these things so you can’t test for it.

If you want to give the player a bonus to a skill you’ll use SKILL: x, <skill>. You’ll need to then apply this manually to the PC based on whether they have proficiency in the skill or not.
Thanks for the response. Bummer though; wanted to script the Reliable Talent skill for the Rogue.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2017, 16:41
The final video in the series has now been uploaded.

GarthGiantbane
December 17th, 2017, 17:43
Nice work Zacchaeus, I've not seen all of the effects syntax and usage explained as well. I recommend this to everyone and suggest you link on the same sticky page where you have the "A CLASS" series.

Thanks!

LordEntrails
December 17th, 2017, 18:22
Thanks for the response. Bummer though; wanted to script the Reliable Talent skill for the Rogue.
They don't really gain new proficiencies as they level (unless you multi-class) so I just go in and add 2 to each proficient skill. Done once and done.

daggerfortysix
December 17th, 2017, 18:48
Hey Zacchaues - Thanks for all of these videos. They are really good and very helpful. Outstanding work!

wmsmitty
December 18th, 2017, 05:07
They don't really gain new proficiencies as they level (unless you multi-class) so I just go in and add 2 to each proficient skill. Done once and done.

Not sure I understand; Reliable Talent basically stipulates that any skill roll under 10 in which the Rogue is proficient in defaults to 10.

Bonkon
December 18th, 2017, 19:25
Nice work Zacchaeus, I've not seen all of the effects syntax and usage explained as well. I recommend this to everyone and suggest you link on the same sticky page where you have the "A CLASS" series.

Thanks!

I agree, is there a way to sticky this? I think it would be beneficial to all kinds of players new and old.

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2017, 19:31
Not sure I understand; Reliable Talent basically stipulates that any skill roll under 10 in which the Rogue is proficient in defaults to 10.
Sorry, I thought you were just trying to add +2 to a set of skills.

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2017, 20:12
I agree, is there a way to sticky this? I think it would be beneficial to all kinds of players new and old.

It's already stickied in the Guides, videos sticky at the top of the forum.

Bonkon
December 19th, 2017, 01:31
It's already stickied in the Guides, videos sticky at the top of the forum.

I did not see that, thanks! :)

Guoccamole
February 22nd, 2018, 21:17
Awesome training series. TY Zacchaeus!

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2018, 21:22
You are welcome; and welcome to the community.

DMinsomnia
February 21st, 2019, 12:34
Great teaching video. Also, I happen to know there are codes already done for every spell, feat, race trait, and class feature I did at the DMs Guild. Everyone SHOULD learn how to do these themselves, but for lazy people (ME!!) the codes are already done for everything except items. And that project is on the burner. The burner hasn't been turned on, but it's on it.

I have just recently been playing on fantasy grounds in a 5e game...our DM has purchased all of your packs. Your stuff really helps us have a great time...today I purchased my ultimate license and am checking out everything I can to make my adventures as much fun as possible.

rob2e
February 21st, 2019, 15:38
I have just recently been playing on fantasy grounds in a 5e game...our DM has purchased all of your packs. Your stuff really helps us have a great time...today I purchased my ultimate license and am checking out everything I can to make my adventures as much fun as possible.

Congrats and welcome to the community! Also, thanX for your support.

RaTath
April 26th, 2020, 06:59
These are great Zacchaeus thanks for taking the time to make them! I am having a little trouble with the VULN tag. I was trying to make an effect that would give vulnerability to a target for the next hit for all damage. I have tried VULN: all and VULN:

The wiki says leaving it blank of types defaults to all types.

I can get it to work if I put in a type; VULN: piercing but can't seem to get it to work for all damage types. I don't really want to type in the entire string of damage types. lol What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks again for everything you do in FG!!!!

Myrdin Potter
April 26th, 2020, 07:13
Try ALL in caps.

RaTath
April 26th, 2020, 07:49
Try ALL in caps.

Thanks but that didn't work either.

The wiki does show this in lower case. And Zacchaeus's vid did Immune: all in lower case also.

Bonkon
April 26th, 2020, 17:38
Thanks but that didn't work either.

The wiki does show this in lower case. And Zacchaeus's vid did Immune: all in lower case also.

Good Day RaTath :)
I just tried the VULN: all tag by typing it directly into the effects and by making a power on a PC actions tab and drug it on a PC and an NPC and it worked. Perhaps you have a extension that might cause an issue?? :)

RaTath
April 26th, 2020, 20:05
Good Day RaTath :)
I just tried the VULN: all tag by typing it directly into the effects and by making a power on a PC actions tab and drug it on a PC and an NPC and it worked. Perhaps you have a extension that might cause an issue?? :)

Thanks Bonkon. I tried several different things last night and finally just deleted the effect and recreated it. It then worked fine just like your example here. Thanks for answering!

Oh and I'm not running any extra extensions just the ones that are native in FG.

Thanks again.

viviolay
May 19th, 2020, 06:15
Just posting to say I'm making my way through this series and it's insanely helpful for me finally understanding how to write my own effects.
I know they are linked in the stickied guide post but I never noticed them before and stumbled across it by chance on youtube when i finally got series about learning these and was looking for help.

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2020, 09:08
Just posting to say I'm making my way through this series and it's insanely helpful for me finally understanding how to write my own effects.
I know they are linked in the stickied guide post but I never noticed them before and stumbled across it by chance on youtube when i finally got series about learning these and was looking for help.

Jolly Good

hibby
November 20th, 2021, 05:17
Is it possible and if it is how would I setup For a Twilight Domain Cleric Eyes of night effect?

Zacchaeus
November 20th, 2021, 08:42
Assuming you are using Unity then VISION: 300 darkvision

Reg
May 24th, 2022, 06:52
I just re-watched all of these to update and refresh my memory - I'd forgotten a LOT, since it is not used all that often

A DM friend has asked me to help create some effects to help automate a magic item he wants to create.

This is his description :-

here is the text on the item This suit of armor is reinforced with a magically enhanced metal alloy called mizzium, which is made in Izzet foundries. While you're wearing the armor, any critical hit against you becomes a normal hit. In addition, when you are subjected to a magical effect that allows you to make a Strength or Constitution saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw.

So The first part is fairly simple - just like Adamantine Armour with a different name, so the entry starts:-
mizzium alloy armour; IMMUNE:critical and its applied to Self
Then I was trying to see if there's a way to see if the IF: command could test to see if the relevant saves had been rolled, but I can't see a way to do it.

I tried IF: [SAVE:strength,constitution];IMMUNE again applied to self

It doesn't work, and I'm guessing because the SAVE command does render an output as a conditional state?

Can this be done or would the immunities have to be watched for manually?

Thanks,

Zacchaeus
May 24th, 2022, 07:49
No, you can't test for such things I'm afraid. You'll need to handle that part manually.

Reg
May 24th, 2022, 15:22
No, you can't test for such things I'm afraid. You'll need to handle that part manually.

Okay.

It would be nice to have such a feature - I'm sure there must be some sort of internal stack that processes such result, so having it set a true/false flag that could be tested would be kinda cool.

I guess that I fell into the classic FGU trap - so much is possible to automate, that you get sucked into a belief that "surely this one more thing" can be done.

Okay enough pipe dreaming...

What about this as an alternative to help keep track of it manually:-

We have a label effect like this:-
Mizzium Eligible Save Occurred with no other effects and applied to Self

The player puts this on his PC when he undergoes the specific magic effect that this item allows ( assuming he remembers!), Then has these two running whenever the specific armour is worn:-

Mizzium Alloy;IMMUNE:critical
IF:CUSTOM(Mizzium Eligible Save Occurred);IMMUNE

again applied to Self for both

It seems to work and I guess it would act as a bit of a prompt to remember to check for such occurrences, but its a bit clunky.

Is there a more elegant way that anyone could suggest?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
May 24th, 2022, 17:32
You could just not roll damage if the saving throw succeeds. But I think your custom effect would work; a fair amount of fiddle as you say.