PDA

View Full Version : windowlist, window list items and unexpected getPosition() results

Minty23185Fresh
December 12th, 2017, 23:46
As near as I can tell positional values had using getPosition() are relative values, relative to the parent. For example the positional values for a combobox within a subwindow (of a form) are relative to the subwindow, not the form and definitely not the application (FG).

This appears to be untrue for the subwindows, i.e. the windowlist items, of a windowlist. They appear to be relative to the application.

For those of you who have been watching my foibles as I add more and more functionality to my Field Filters for All Libraries extension, you'll probably want to skip this next section as I provide some history and setup for newcomers.

========== History and Setup ==========

The Field Filters for All Libraries extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40954-Field-Filters-for-All-Libraries) is rooted in the CoreRPG masterindex windowclass. The number of field filters per library varies, with the NPC library having the largest number. So many that some field filters were multi-purposed, and still the form took up the entire height of a standard FG environment.

To alleviate this real estate problem I implemented a scrollable windowlist object to hold the field filter controls. Users select filter values using an input text box or a dropdown combobox, depending on the field being filtered.

While attempting to implement the windowlist I came upon a problem with the dropdown list. The height and width of a combobox's dropdown list is limited by the size of it's parent window. In my case the height of the parent window containing the combobox (and dropdown list) is roughly the same size as the combobox. To escape this problem I create the dropdown list at form level rather than at window list subwindow level. More details can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41293-Combo-boxes-are-really-hard-emKay!).

========== Observing the Problem ==========

To recap, in my extension, the control / window layering is:
application, form, windowlist, windowlist-subwindow, combobox

As I prepared to publish the latest revision of my extension I noticed that if a form was repositioned on the screen the positioning of the dropdown list varied. So much so, that if the form was toward the bottom of FG, the dropdown was positioned off-form and was therefore invisible. Here's a screenshot (in all cases I was clicking the "Alignment" filter):
In the left panel the form is at the top of the application. In the center panel I have repositioned the form about half way down the application window. In the right panel the form is at the top of the application window but I expanded it's height so that the "Alignment" filter was at roughly the same position as it is in the center panel (so that I might compare "apples to apples, so to speak).

Note the positions of the comboboxes when they appeared when I clicked the dropdown button. In the left and right panels they are in approximately the desired position, just a little above their corresponding combobox. Also note there are eight choices (one of which is blank) in each "drop up". In the middle panel the combobox is misplaced, and mis-sized. It is on top of the corresponding combobox and drops below, plus there are only three and one half fields to choose from. (It is chopped off at the bottom because it is falling outside its parent (the form).

There is a genericcontrol on the form that anchors some of the other controls. I put a red dot in the middle panel of the screen shot to indicate it's approximate position. The anchor's position on the form varies based on the controls' sizes above it but it remains in roughly the same relative position to my windowlist. I calculated where to place my form level "drop up" based on that anchor and the position of the activating combobox within the windowlist object.

========== Each Object's getPosition() ==========

I placed some Debug.console() commands in the combobox's button onClick() function and dumped the getPosition() values for each of the layered windows and controls. There are three groups of values shown below corresponding to each of the panels in the screenshot above.

Runtime Notice: s'Parent form position, size=' | #360 | #-15 | #450 | #450 | s'masterindex' | databasenode = { npc }
Runtime Notice: s'Form anchor position, size=' | #35 | #270 | #365 | #0 | s'listbottomanchor'
Runtime Notice: s'Windowlist position, size=' | #35 | #300 | #365 | #125 | s'list_customfilter'
Runtime Notice: s'Subwindow position, size=' | #395 | #360 | #365 | #25 | s'masterindexcustomfilteritem' | nil
Runtime Notice: s'Combobox position, size=' | #155 | #0 | #205 | #20 | s'filter_custom_value_Alignment'

Runtime Notice: s'Parent form position, size=' | #355 | #141 | #450 | #450 | s'masterindex' | databasenode = { npc }
Runtime Notice: s'Form anchor position, size=' | #35 | #270 | #365 | #0 | s'listbottomanchor'
Runtime Notice: s'Windowlist position, size=' | #35 | #300 | #365 | #125 | s'list_customfilter'
Runtime Notice: s'Subwindow position, size=' | #390 | #516 | #365 | #25 | s'masterindexcustomfilteritem' | nil
Runtime Notice: s'Combobox position, size=' | #155 | #0 | #205 | #20 | s'filter_custom_value_Alignment'

Runtime Notice: s'Parent form position, size=' | #360 | #-15 | #450 | #604 | s'masterindex' | databasenode = { npc }
Runtime Notice: s'Form anchor position, size=' | #35 | #424 | #365 | #0 | s'listbottomanchor'
Runtime Notice: s'Windowlist position, size=' | #35 | #454 | #365 | #125 | s'list_customfilter'
Runtime Notice: s'Subwindow position, size=' | #395 | #514 | #365 | #25 | s'masterindexcustomfilteritem' | nil

Analyzing these numbers, one can see that nearly everything is as expected except the position of the subwindow. E.g. the combobox, position is always the same within the subwindow. For the first two sets of data the anchor and windowlist are in the same position. In the third they are down the screen a bit because of resize, but they are still within 30 pixels of one another. The subwindow position is "erratic" or more accurately unexpected or inconsistent with the other controls.

========== Conclusion ==========

By looking at the absolute values of the positions of the subwindow in the middle and last sets of data I surmised that the
getPosition() function returns positional values relative to the application not relative to the parent windowlist
for each of the windowlist subwindows (a.k.a windowlist list items).

This is not consistent with the behavior of getPosition() for other controls and subwindows.

This might be the desired behavior, but at the moment it seems to me, to be perplexing as to why it would be.

I have released a new version of the Field Filters for all Libraries based upon this assumption, and things look to be going fine. Should I observe differently I'll revisit this post and correct it.

Bidmaron
December 13th, 2017, 00:24
I haven't been interested in position of window list items, so I have not personally observed this behavior. However, it is hard to imagine there is another explanation for what we are seeing there than what you are proposing.

Moon Wizard
December 13th, 2017, 02:57
The windowinstance.getPosition API always returns coordinates in application space, and the windowcontrol.getPosition API always returns coordinates in the window space in which the control is defined.

Window instances can exist as stand alone windows, desktop panels, sub windows, or list child windows.

This behavior was baked into FG v2, prior to my time; and all rulesets assume this behavior.

Regards,
JPG

Minty23185Fresh
December 13th, 2017, 04:14
The windowinstance.getPosition API always returns coordinates in application space, and the windowcontrol.getPosition API always returns coordinates in the window space in which the control is defined.

Window instances can exist as stand alone windows, desktop panels, sub windows, or list child windows.

This behavior was baked into FG v2, prior to my time; and all rulesets assume this behavior.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard for the confirmation...

Bidmaron
December 13th, 2017, 04:57
Well, when you check the API docs, it even says that:

getPosition

function getPosition( )
Returns the position of the window on the screen calculated from the top left corner of the application window.

Warning
Calling this function on a dynamically sized window used as a subwindow or list item may have unpredictable results.
Return values

(number)
The X coordinate of the window, distance from the left edge in pixels.
(number)
The Y coordinate of the window, distance from the top edge in pixels.

But thanks, MW.

Minty23185Fresh
December 13th, 2017, 05:13
Well, when you check the API docs, it even says that...

You beat me to it by just a few minutes... :)

I was going to follow up to my last post suggesting MW ensure that that info was in the refdoc. I thought that I'd better go check to ensure it wasn't, before looking like twice the fool. Came back here to post my little gem, and low and behold I'd been scooped!

Bidmaron
December 13th, 2017, 11:28
Sorry 'bout that. I was as baffled as you until MW pointed it out.