PDA

View Full Version : Force bypassing DR

dellanx
December 12th, 2017, 12:13
I recently made a +1 long sword with force damage type. When I tried it it bypassed all DR.

For example [DR: 10 good and magic]

Does force damage type bypasses DR because it is an energy type?

Callum
December 12th, 2017, 14:32
I believe it's because "force" is normally only a type of spell damage (technically, a spell descriptor), and therefore would be expected to bypass DR. Also, the "force" property in the 3.5E Magic Item Compendium specifies that projectiles with that property automatically overcome DR.

dellanx
December 12th, 2017, 14:35
I believe it's because "force" is normally only a type of spell damage (technically, a spell descriptor), and therefore would be expected to bypass DR. Also, the "force" property in the 3.5E Magic Item Compendium specifies that projectiles with that property automatically overcome DR.

Ok thanks, that's what I thought.

kwarner1986
December 12th, 2017, 16:42
In my opinion, you might want to change from force to spell. The force damage type will bypass the incorporeal code. Normally magic weapon will deal only half damage unless you have true "force" damage or "ghost" touch. The damage type spell will bypass DR, but will deal only half damage against incorporeal creatures. If you need the effect for this damage type, it's DMGTYPE: spell

dellanx
December 20th, 2017, 05:14
In my opinion, you might want to change from force to spell. The force damage type will bypass the incorporeal code. Normally magic weapon will deal only half damage unless you have true "force" damage or "ghost" touch. The damage type spell will bypass DR, but will deal only half damage against incorporeal creatures. If you need the effect for this damage type, it's DMGTYPE: spell

The weapon is a Summoned Force Sword..spell would be appropriate?

kwarner1986
December 20th, 2017, 15:01
No, force would be appropriate since force sword hits incorporeal creatures for full damage just like magic missiles. Spell would be used for other effects that bypass DR, a good example would be a Paladin's Smite Evil.

dellanx
December 24th, 2017, 02:07
Alright thanks.

dellanx
December 24th, 2017, 18:32
I saw this post that says that force in force sword is a spell descriptor. So the damage type would be slashing and magic. Instead of steel the weapon is made of force and can hit incorporeal and ethereal creatures.

Here is the link (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/110549/what-damage-type-does-force-sword-do). I guess I would have to agree because I dont wish the fight to be anti-climactic.

Callum
December 24th, 2017, 19:45
I agree - the force sword spell doesn't specify that it overcomes DR, so it doesn't.

kwarner1986
December 26th, 2017, 16:17
I guess this is going to be one of those GM calls as there isn't a clear cut rule. I would treat the spell similar to Spiritual Weapon which does say it deals "force" damage. Force Weapon in the spell description says it makes a weapon of pure force that can harm ghostly creatures. Which to me sounds like force damage even though it doesn't directly state that. However you decide it, just tell the players that this is how you are ruling it and be consistent with the rule. It is still a nice spell against ghostly creatures since you will have a ghosttouch weapon at all times.

Callum
December 26th, 2017, 22:03
The key line in spiritual weapon is "It strikes as a spell, not as a weapon, so for example, it can damage creatures that have damage reduction." There's no line like this in force sword, for good reason - it doesn't attack on its own. Instead, it simply creates a magical weapon which someone then has to wield. Thus, it's not attacking as a spell, and so doesn't overcome DR.

dellanx
December 27th, 2017, 04:46
I guess this is going to be one of those GM calls as there isn't a clear cut rule. I would treat the spell similar to Spiritual Weapon which does say it deals "force" damage. Force Weapon in the spell description says it makes a weapon of pure force that can harm ghostly creatures. Which to me sounds like force damage even though it doesn't directly state that. However you decide it, just tell the players that this is how you are ruling it and be consistent with the rule. It is still a nice spell against ghostly creatures since you will have a ghosttouch weapon at all times.

Thanks, they will use this against an ethereal creature if they can trap it.

dellanx
December 27th, 2017, 04:50
The key line in spiritual weapon is "It strikes as a spell, not as a weapon, so for example, it can damage creatures that have damage reduction." There's no line like this in force sword, for good reason - it doesn't attack on its own. Instead, it simply creates a magical weapon which someone then has to wield. Thus, it's not attacking as a spell, and so doesn't overcome DR.

Also it is only a 2nd level spell, it would make it a bit overpowered.