PDA

View Full Version : So Syrinscape...

Ken L
December 10th, 2017, 15:15
I have a bunch of packs I bought from Syrinscape ages ago, and recently I've been looking into getting auto-sounds to FG. I'm aware of the Syrinscape sound links and how to integrate them but thed I stumbled on to this gem.

https://i.imgur.com/jBwuxgJ.png

So, I upload sounds i've curated or mixed myself, then rent the ability to have them organized and played on a SaaS model? What the ----- Syrinscape... The value add here is access to your sounds from any device given the cloud backing, but in reality, most users are just interested in the ability to organize their sounds within the creator, which is rented.

This had me thinking that I should scrape together a java based solution that runs on win/mac/linux that can respond to URIs. That way, the rest of us that have folders of sounds can use our own content pretty much free of charge.

I mean the feature list is short...
1. Sound 'packs' of organized sound 'themes'
2. Each sound 'theme' loops N sounds of a similar nature (ie: 8 sounds of a shot glass breaking) which are random and have a random delay between them settable for the category
3. Configurable fade delay for each 'theme' and grouping of such 'themes' to create a 'soundscape'
4. Cross fade when switching 'soundscapes' and when muted.
5. Respond to URIs for external applications to be able to access them.

I'm curious if there's a general need for such an app, or if done already by a FOSS project. I'm even more curious if anyone fell into the 'subscribe to use your own stuff' trap.

Bidmaron
December 10th, 2017, 16:01
Very intriguing, Ken. I think you are proposing that you create an app where each individual could have their sound material playing on their own rented server? That service you posted add to --what is the link to it? I presume the server-side software streams audio files on demand.

There are other elements of your post I didn't understand:

I have a bunch of packs I bought from Syrinscape ages ago, and recently I've been looking into getting auto-sounds to FG. I'm aware of the Syrinscape sound links and how to integrate them but thed I stumbled on to this gem.

So, I upload sounds i've curated or mixed myself, then rent the ability to have them organized and played on a SaaS model? What the ----- Syrinscape... The value add here is access to your sounds from any device given the cloud backing, but in reality, most users are just interested in the ability to organize their sounds within the creator, which is rented.

This had me thinking that I should scrape together a java based solution that runs on win/mac/linux that can respond to URIs. That way, the rest of us that have folders of sounds can use our own content pretty much free of charge.
Are you proposing we have a community server that we can all access and store our files? The potential for pirating and other buffoonery seems nearly infinite.

I mean the feature list is short...
1. Sound 'packs' of organized sound 'themes'
2. Each sound 'theme' loops N sounds of a similar nature (ie: 8 sounds of a shot glass breaking) which are random and have a random delay between them settable for the category
3. Configurable fade delay for each 'theme' and grouping of such 'themes' to create a 'soundscape'
4. Cross fade when switching 'soundscapes' and when muted.
5. Respond to URIs for external applications to be able to access them.

Really having trouble visualizing how you will implement this. If we can store our own folders of sounds on a central server (whether shared or not) and access them just like syrinscape for simultaneous playing over our connected users, that would be great, especially since syrincscpe doesn't work on mac-wine setup right now.

How would users sign in to server to participate?

I'm curious if there's a general need for such an app, or if done already by a FOSS project. I'm even more curious if anyone fell into the 'subscribe to use your own stuff' trap.

I guess I did. I want access to their new material, which I don't get without a subscription. Also, right now, since I use parallels instead of wine (actually, when I run my games, I use my windows game machine, but do all my campaign work and lua work on my mac), I use their serving features too.

Ken L
December 10th, 2017, 17:54
... It's local not cloud based..

Most use cases are local so I don't see the point of cloud storage, nor paying for it as I have my own VPS with a $90/mo upkeep.

The other syrinscape packs are fine as there's actual content. the cloud connection SaaS for soundest creator honestly is a moneygrab of the software to make it a subscription model.

Bidmaron
December 10th, 2017, 21:03
What was that add you posted, Ken?

I am not sure that most use cases are local. Maybe but most of the traffic associated with DOE's sound extension are people wanting their sound/music piped to remote users.

Ken L
December 11th, 2017, 01:46
The 'advert' was the sound creator only 'subscription'. Bascially upload your own sounds then pay to organize and access them from any platform.

Note that I say local, but for the 'DOE sound extension' you still play the sound locally, you just pipe it into teamspeak or whatever broadcasting medium you have, same is the principle here minus the requirement to rent the privileged to organize your own sounds. I have no qualms with their buy-to-own or sub to access all sound packs. It's just the buy to organize your own stuff model.

https://i.imgur.com/6VxmqY1.jpg

Bidmaron
December 11th, 2017, 02:12
Well, moving the streaming off the network running FG could be a potential benefit if you didn't have to pipe through TS or discord. That's what I thought you were talking about.

Ken L
December 11th, 2017, 02:52
Uh... the DOE sound extension + Syrnscape has you already piping to sound to a broadcasting service, but if you want to pay Syrinscape to host your own content in the event you want to stream it back from your ipad it has.. some value I guess. It's more the organizational features I'm looking to replicate, as well as the URI action handles. I currently use MIXXX which is manual, it's neat when I hook up the turn table but I can only really do that on weekends. For tighter schedule games grouping out 'soundscapes' for a single click is nice.

Either way It's useful as a personal tool, there's a few FOSS projects I can draw from to get a majority of the libraries I need to make this.

Bidmaron
December 11th, 2017, 03:40
Man, we are talking way past each other. Sorry. I know DOE+Syrinscape offloads to server. I thought you were originally pitching a cheaper alternate than syrinscape whereby if you weren't interested in syrinscape's ongoing products, you could do it cheaper.

I think there is still value in offloading the bandwidth somewhere else. Especially once we move to FGU, where the 32bit limit will no longer apply. At that point, people won't be able to resist larger maps, more sharing, and the discipline of a small memory space will leave. Bandwidth will be more and more critical. That's why I think syrinscape is a good value if you are like me and enjoy getting their ongoing products.

Plus, with FGU, people are going nuts about 3d, and if you really want to suck bandwidth, stand by, as map sharing will take on a whole new magnitude of bandwidth requirement. Doing sound through your own local network server I think will become undoable unless you have ultra-fast internet uploads.

anfiach
December 15th, 2017, 08:53
Streaming over TS or Discord was a work around because the URI is intended to just be a trigger to play the sound locally on the players' pcs. As for the servers, you'd be paying for a cloud service, whether you want/need that service is up to the individual.

dulux-oz
December 15th, 2017, 09:50
You all seem to be overlooking/forgetting/whatever the fact that the GM does NOT have to be the source of the Syrinscape sounds when using the DOE: Sound Extension. As is explained in the documentation (& might I remind everyone to RTFM!) anyone, including anyoneS, can be the one to have Syrinscape running and therefore be the one responsible for streaming the sounds out via Teamspeak (or whatever) - and therefore be the one whose bandwidth is consumed. Just have the GM set the Sound Option to "Off" and the "Sound Host" set the Sound Option to "On".

Of course, if everyone has Syrinscape (& you can have up to three devices using the one license at any one time) there is no need for steaming and therefore NO bandwidth issue.

And with the new Syrinscape Master/Minion setup, again, there is no (or at least, far less) bandwidth issues (AFAIK).

Bidmaron
December 15th, 2017, 11:02
Thanks for clarifying this, Dulux. I cannot envision that every player would ever have Syrinscape unless I personally bought it for them, so some kind of streaming would be necessary. I confess I had no idea that the bandwidth could be offloaded to a player.

Gwydion
December 15th, 2017, 14:04
You all seem to be overlooking/forgetting/whatever the fact that the GM does NOT have to be the source of the Syrinscape sounds when using the DOE: Sound Extension. As is explained in the documentation (& might I remind everyone to RTFM!) anyone, including anyoneS, can be the one to have Syrinscape running and therefore be the one responsible for streaming the sounds out via Teamspeak (or whatever) - and therefore be the one whose bandwidth is consumed. Just have the GM set the Sound Option to "Off" and the "Sound Host" set the Sound Option to "On".

Of course, if everyone has Syrinscape (& you can have up to three devices using the one license at any one time) there is no need for steaming and therefore NO bandwidth issue.

And with the new Syrinscape Master/Minion setup, again, there is no (or at least, far less) bandwidth issues (AFAIK).

Yeah. I've always known that, I've just never had the chance/situation to try it. One thing I might try this weekend, though. I might load all the syrinscape soundpacks onto my home computer or second laptop. I might then connect using a demo version of FG to my table. Then possibly use the second computer as my dumb sound host to free up more bandwidth on my computer just to see how it all works. Then I might try it with another DM over the internet.

dulux-oz
December 15th, 2017, 14:23
You probably won't see much difference on a local LAN setup - over a WAN (such as the Internet) you'll see some difference, but probably not locally as its not the local switch which is the limiting factor, but the Internet switches/technology which is much slower.

Gwydion
December 15th, 2017, 15:14
You probably won't see much difference on a local LAN setup - over a WAN (such as the Internet) you'll see some difference, but probably not locally as its not the local switch which is the limiting factor, but the Internet switches/technology which is much slower.

Got it. I'll see if I can grab Rob2e or someone and test it over the internet. Thanks!